PDA

View Full Version : best half and half alternative?

phosphanatic
Aug 11th, 2013, 03:45 PM
anyone know the best substitute for half and half? something that has that fatty flavor preferably. Thanks.

Blueberries
Aug 11th, 2013, 06:40 PM
I'm not sure what half and half is, is it a type of milk?

Barry
Aug 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
I have no idea what half and half is either.

tickled onion
Aug 11th, 2013, 07:54 PM
where I live it means half chips half rice in the chippy...... not sure that's any help though :D

phosphanatic
Aug 11th, 2013, 08:22 PM
where I live it means half chips half rice in the chippy...... not sure that's any help though :D

lol!! Here in the USA, Half and half is half cream and half milk. People usually put it in coffee or other various hot beverages.

Blueberries
Aug 11th, 2013, 09:14 PM
lol!! Here in the USA, Half and half is half cream and half milk. People usually put it in coffee or other various hot beverages.

Coffee creamer just confuses me, where I am people just put milk in their tea or coffee. I don't get how it differs from single cream.

Egesa
Aug 13th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Not knowing what this "half and half" product is apart from creamy milk, if you must have (or really want) something similar, I'd suggest trying vegan cream products, maybe combined with plain soy milk If it's to make soy latte, I know that there are soy products made especially for that.

deniselynn
Aug 13th, 2013, 03:20 PM
Silk creamer is good as is Trader Joe's creamer.

Risker
Aug 13th, 2013, 08:12 PM
I just use third and third and third.

Blueberries
Aug 13th, 2013, 10:56 PM
I just use third and third and third.

One third chips, one third rice and one third curry? ;) In Ireland we call that a 3-in-1...

Risker
Aug 13th, 2013, 11:07 PM
One third chips, one third rice and one third curry? ;) In Ireland we call that a 3-in-1...

In coffee? Yick. That sounds horrible.

Blueberries
Aug 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM
In coffee? Yick. That sounds horrible.

Don't knock it til you try it! ;)

phosphanatic
Aug 14th, 2013, 05:02 AM
Lol! You guys are funny. I tried to order a Soy Latte the other day....didn't really like it as much. Just as well. Trying to give up coffee anyway. Actually have successfully given it up for about 6 months, but sometimes I cheat. I've cheated twice. It's good though because not having dairy makes coffee less desirable. Dairy truly does make me very ill anyway, so it's easy to give up. Eggs are a bit harder, but since reading the chick culling thing it is a little easier, I just think of that every time I want them.

Egesa
Aug 14th, 2013, 06:03 AM
I much prefer coffee black, but only if I know it's good quality. Otherwise with soy - to mask that dirty dishwater taste. If you want something creamy, why not just have a nice smoothie instead?

Robinwomb
Aug 14th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Like Deniselynn said, in the U.S. Silk creamer is widely available in larger grocery chains in the organic refrigerated sections or wherever the refrigerated plant milks are. You can also order coffee creamers online through Veganessentials.com. I am not a creamer person myself (I drink it black or add a splash of almond milk to it if my stomach has had an overload of black coffee and needs a buffer lol), but I ordered this for family members one Christmas (the almond and cashew non soy based creamer) and tried it myself and it was decent: http://store.veganessentials.com/mimiccreme-flavored-coffee-creamers-p3319.aspx. I have always gotten stuff very quickly from that online store.

Egesa
Aug 14th, 2013, 06:25 PM
Now I know what a creamer is! Funny and educational! It sounds nice, but it'd turn my coffee into kind of a milkshake.

LucyPevensie
Apr 27th, 2015, 08:35 AM
Use any pretentious and energetic drinks.