PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for vegan meal for omni family

misosoup
Sep 6th, 2013, 10:13 PM
I've been telling my uber-omni parents about Forks Over Knives. I've ordered the book, as well as Eternal Treblinka. My father who gets steam coming out of his ears if I mention the 'v-word', has agreed to let me cook them a meal. Although I call it a 'plant based meal' to keep them happy. He is even talking about reducing his dairy intake - purely for health reasons, but it's something. He suffers with bad rosacea so I appealed to his vanity. My acne and eczema cleared up after going vegan, but he still won't admit that the rosacea could be connected to dairy. He doesn't want the substitutes- i.e no fake meat, vegan cheese etc. He does quite like tofu, I made a Chinese meal once and he was OK with that. And he is also coeliac. I am hoping the Forks Over Knives book will arrive in time, but I am doing it Monday and not sure what to make. I am going to make this pie, but use blueberries instead http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBNR7etiWJ8as it's also gluten-free. Any ideas on what I can make?

Blueberries
Sep 7th, 2013, 09:56 AM
A gluten-free vegan meal with no plant-based meat or cheese... perhaps Indian food or mexican food?

misosoup
Sep 7th, 2013, 01:40 PM
I'm thinking of making a 'cottage pie' but with lentils and a sweet potato topping. With some veggies on the side.

Andy_T
Sep 9th, 2013, 09:14 AM
Chili! Dhal! Curry! Oat stew!
There are lots of great vegan hearty foods available.

When I was a kid (and not vegan, not even vegetarian), my mother often made a "potato goulash" that was mainly stewed potatoes with lots of onions, carrots and similar, with the onions cooked so long that they completely dissolved and formed the gravy.

Best regards,
Andy