PDA

View Full Version : resturants

rach
Jun 14th, 2004, 09:09 PM
hi, i've only been a vegan for a couple of weeks and i have just been invited to go for a meal to celebrate my friends birthday. The resturant not be a veggie or vegan place ( none of my friends are either ) I was just wondering if places like that cater for vegans.

Artichoke47
Jun 15th, 2004, 12:29 AM
You could call the restaurant ahead of time and see if they will inform you of vegan items or make a special meal or something. Unfortunately, it is always best to eat beforehand or have something in the car just in case. Most places don't even know how to steam vegetables without slathering them with cow butter or cow's cheese.

globesetter
Jun 15th, 2004, 07:24 AM
I also recommend calling ahead - it also depends where you are - in Boston, for example, I went to several restaurants that didnīt have a problem catering to me at all - but if you are in a small town, it will be different.

I went to a restaurant where they only had one veggie option that was loaded with cheese - so I said `Oh, you donīt have vegetarian options without dairy? ` The maitre d`replied - ` You can order anything on the menu as vegetarian - we will replace the meat or fish with grilled vegetables` It worked out perfectly, but I did remind the waitress when I order that I couldnīt have dairy.

Usually, you can find a pasta dish and a salad, at the least, but you have to ask about meat, cheese and butter because they can sneak that in anywhere!

good luck,
globesetter

cedarblue
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:08 PM
i went to a posh wedding last friday and told the wedding couple that i am no longer veggie but vegan - so - instead of cream of leek and pot soup i had tropical fruit salad and instead of rib of lamb ( :mad: !) i had rosemary mash topped with griddled aubergine, yellow zucchini, tomatoes etc and side veggies of carrots, beans and roast veg, i just had a coffee for afters with dark choc i had snuck in my bag as an emergency!
it worked out very well - just let places know in advance what you need! ;)

blue
Nov 6th, 2004, 10:57 AM
My husband and I have a friend that we've known our entire lives. Well, we haven't seen him for years, we've never met his wife. We keep avoiding him, because he said he was vegetarian. We didn't know what to feed him. Now, maybe it won't be long before, I can actually call him up and suggest him and his wife come to town and come to dinner.

I'll have to get some good suggestions to feed them! I'll practice beforehand, so that, I can create a wonderful meal!