PDA

View Full Version : Healthy vegan living - thereotical question

VeganMum
Mar 29th, 2005, 05:38 AM
Out of curiousity if someone wanted to switch to a vegan way of life but didn't like tofu, beans, pulses etc do you think they could live a healthy life on a diet consisting of mainly veggies, bread, fruit etc ?
I have a friend wanting to change but so far doesn't like much of anything I offer - could just be my cooking ! and I'm interested to get others points of view on this

Karen

Mystic
Mar 29th, 2005, 05:56 AM
You do need a protein source. Not liking beans and tofu will make it more difficult, but not impossible. What about nuts, nut butters and seeds/seed butters? Has the person tried tempeh? Does the person hate every single bean, coz that is a lot of beans to hate! Hummus is popular and is a great way to eat chickpeas. Try lentil burgers, or commercial meat substitutes, seitan, etc... You can't live off bread as a grain either - what about rice, couscous, barley, buckwheat, etc.?

Cal
Mar 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM
What about sprouted beans and pulses? I'm not keen on cooked ones but I sprout heaps of stuff!

As Banana says, raw nuts and seeds and their butters are great and very yummy IMHO! :)

flavin
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:10 AM
Almond is a good source of protein double of soy's and has no known (yet) side-effect like soy...

If your diet includes these nutritious foods on a regular basis, your intake of vitamins, minerals and phytochemicals should be perfectly adequate.

• Carrots • Sweet potatoes • Red peppers • Spinach • Wheatgerm, wheatgerm-oil • Blackcurrants • Yeast extracts • Sunflower seeds • Nori and Kombu seaweeds • Peanuts (plain) • Lentils • Nutri-Grain breakfast cereal • Black-eye beans • Soy beans • Poppy seeds • Sesame seeds • Figs • Bananas • Tofu (steamed) • Pumpkin seeds • Brazil nuts • Walnuts • Flaxseed oil • Broccoli • Mangos • Peaches, Nectarines • All green leafy vegetables • Vitamin B12 fortified foods • Vitamin D fortified foods

Source: www.vegetarian-diet.info

Tofu Monster
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:22 AM
Does the person hate every single bean, coz that is a lot of beans to hate!

that's just what i was thinking! seems likely that if this person has up until now been a meat eater, they probably haven't given beans and pulses much of a chance, so it's a bit rash to say they don't like them. you may not like them much in one recipe, but you might love them in another! i'm sure we're all a bit like that.

Sunshine
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:41 AM
With vegan food preparation,it's not difficult to disguise the flavour and texture of most staples.
I believe that if you discover their most favourite flavours and cook beans which are after all bland anyway in these flavours,and perhaps mash the beans if it's the consistancey they find unpleasant,then they may become a bean convert.
Similarly,tofu is bland and its consistancey can be altered according to different recipies.For example,I roast tofu with lots of seasoning and it turns out wonderfully golden and crispy but I also use tofu to make a cheese sauce and very differently again I use tofu to make a chocolate pudding that tastes like chocolate velvet(I challenge your friend to try aforementioned pudding and not enjoy it).
The above applies to most vegan staples.
If all else fails then they can enjoy wonderful nut roasts etc.
I would be very happy to share any recipies I have with you.
:) Sunshine :)

Tofu Monster
Mar 29th, 2005, 10:55 AM
I would be very happy to share any recipies I have with you.

please do. we have a sub-forum for vegan recipes and all contributions are appreciated!

particularly if they're simple recipes and you don't need a degree in rocket science to understand them!

VeganMum
Mar 29th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Recipes would be great ... thanks in advance

VeganMum
Mar 29th, 2005, 04:43 PM
I think when you change your diet a lot of it is also about your "mindset" and once you get over that then its fun trying lots of new things. Every week it feels I find something new I like and as you said if you don't like one kind of bean there are plenty more to try.
I just thought if I got some good comments here (and I have) my friend could read them and maybe then be a bit more adventurous in her food choices so thanks for your comments

eve
Mar 30th, 2005, 07:48 AM
With vegan food preparation, it's not difficult to disguise the flavour and texture of most staples.
I believe that if you discover their most favourite flavours and cook beans which are after all bland anyway in these flavours, and perhaps mash the beans if it's the consistancey they find unpleasant,then they may become a bean convert. Similarly, tofu is bland and its consistancey can be altered according to different recipies. [snip] If all else fails then they can enjoy wonderful nut roasts etc.
I would be very happy to share any recipies I have with you. :) Sunshine :)
Beans are bland? How many types have you eaten because the beans I eat are far from bland? The same applies to tofu - I don't find it bland at all and neither would I want to change its consistency. Some types, I do marinate in soysauce and olive oil, but then don't meat eaters flavour what they eat? :)

Sunshine
Mar 30th, 2005, 11:43 AM
Beans and tofu,no matter what variety,ARE bland when unseasoned and compared with other foods that are *highly*flavoured.

Poison Ivy
Mar 30th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Beans and tofu,no matter what variety,ARE bland when unseasoned and compared with other foods that are *highly*flavoured.

I disagree, chickpeas, whilst having an undoubtedly subtle flavour are not bland, neither are kidney beans, lentils or indeed any of the other beans I have tasted. Obviously if you are used to a diet full of strong flavours such as salt, curry, chilli, garlic etc then the unadultered taste of each bean/pulse etc will seem insignificant - it's a matter of re-educating your palate to something more pure and simple.

Why try and mask their individual flavours? Use herbs and spices to enhance a dish but never to mask - whats the point otherwise :confused:

Sunshine
Mar 30th, 2005, 12:19 PM
I use the word bland,you use the word subtle,it all amounts to the same thing.
Beans and tofu have a"subtle"taste.
The idea of masking this subtle taste is because they are evidently tastes that the posters friend dislikes so I offered up a useful suggestion,end of.