PDA

View Full Version : Going vegan - was it easy for you?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

gertvegan
Apr 4th, 2005, 07:29 PM
Which diet / lifestyle change was easiest for you ??

Steph
Apr 5th, 2005, 04:44 AM
Looking back, it was not difficult at all really, I did ALOT of reading about vegetarianism (I went to library and got stacks of books on it because I knew nothing much about it) when I was still eating animal flesh. Next day or 2, I became lacto-ovo veg, for 5 years. After 5 years, decided no more animal ANYTHING, and just like that stopped eating animal stuff. Very smooth transition, occassional slip up unintentionally, but so much happier now. I just wish I knew years ago what I know now.

Eden
Apr 5th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Since I have done extensive research on health and the animal industries, it was actually quite easy for me to go vegan. I'm surprised I don't crave animal products either. I also breastfeed my daughter, so I would feel guilty if I put harmful chemicals and such that she would injest.

Tigerlily
Apr 5th, 2005, 02:36 PM
I went from omni to vegan. It was a fairly smooth transition. I was thinking of giving up dairy of purely health reasons. At the same time, I started to re-evaluate my spirtuality and such. I had always claimed to respect Mother Nature and her gifts. I felt hypocritical beacause I was eating meat. So the more I read about vegeterianism, the more veganism popped up. And I was like, "That's it!"

Astrocat
Apr 5th, 2005, 03:17 PM
I went from Lacto-Ovo-Vegetarian to being Vegan - it was easy as the only reason i felt comfortable with being vegetarian to begin with was due to lack of knowledge - upon enlightenment of the ethical inconsistencies of vegetarianism i went Vegan at a running pace.
To say that it is difficult to get good vegan food here would be an understatement, but it is very easy to be vegan.

RockyRaccoon
Apr 5th, 2005, 04:41 PM
I went omni to veggie to vegan, but neither were particularly difficult. I suppose turning vegan has been harder in terms of finding vegan products and making vegan food, although omni to veggie was harder in a sense because I no independence or finances to make choices like I do now. Anyhow being vegan weighs alot easier on the mind.

Gorilla
Apr 5th, 2005, 05:13 PM
i went from omni to lacto-ovo veggie when i was 12 and that was really easy. the hardest part was telling my parents and convincing them that it would be healthy, and that wasn't that bad.

the hardest thing about going from lacto-ovo to vegan was my attitude. i spent far too long thinking it would be really difficult, but when the time was right for me i made the transition no problem.

of course i've made the odd mistake over the years but i've never been seriously tempted to eat something i shouldn't - once i realised the truth about animal foods it put me right off them anyway. it's really easy to find vegan food here so i'm very lucky in that respect.

so i voted that omni -> lacto-ovo was easier because i managed to do it overnight, whereas lacto-ovo -> vegan took me a bit longer to work into my diet (a few weeks or so) and unforunately a lot longer to realise i would be able to do it.

Imapeach
Apr 10th, 2005, 03:48 PM
This is a very interesting poll - thanks gert!

I struggled with my lacto-ovo for years, until the final 2 years of it before i went vegan a year ago. Making the decision to go vegan was the easiest choice i've ever made in my life. Wish i'd made it years ago...

FR
Apr 10th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Omni to lacto veggie to vegan. Both transitions were very easy.

Mystic
Apr 11th, 2005, 09:41 AM
I spent 9 or so years being a lacto-ovo vegetarian. When I was anorexic, they made me eat fish - so I was a "vegequarian" for a year or so. Then I eliminated dairy, once I was well enough - coz I had been reading a lot about how dairy industry feeds the meat industry, as well as the cruelty involved. But I was still a fish eater, until I finally out a stop to it.

I find being vegan hard sometimes - sometimes I find it easy. It depends.

ChartT
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:27 AM
Going from an omnivore to a ovo-lacto vegetarian was easy. It took me about a year of thinking it through to change. I knew real deep it was the right thing do. That made it easy. A lot of cooking and eating shifted to include eggs and dairy.

Going vegan was easy in a sense, as I had wanted to for awhile ... but finding replacements for eggs and dairy was difficult as I eat lunch out every day. But I found Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese, Indian, Japanese, Mexican and Carribbean restaurants that serve vegan food at affordable prices. And I re-learned cooking, without eggs or dairy. But that was more difficult.

meatless
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:40 AM
I have not found it easy. It is getting easier though. :)

I don't really deal with "temptation" so much as my diet was not particularly varied most of my life, so the not easy part has been finding sufficient food that I am willing to try and continue eating. The joy of being picky. :)

Peas'nHominy
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM
It wasn't too difficult for me, because there are Whole Foods Markets here in Houston. Some of the other grocery stores are carrying some vegan friendly items, also. It just took some time for me to read labels and figure out what I like. :) I'm always on the look-out for new stuff and recipes to try, though! :D

sophia
Apr 18th, 2005, 04:58 PM
I went from omni to veggie first, then veggie to vegan. I didn't find becomin veggie at all hard, and being vegan isn't hard at all. There are so many things that are vegan these days. I did love cheese, but I discovered parmazano. It's so versatile. I also love chocolate, that was no problem as I love green and blacks and booja-booja.

I just bought some scheese. Anyone tried it? hope it's not gross! :(

Aurora
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:04 PM
I just bought some scheese. Anyone tried it? hope it's not gross! :(

It is! :eek:

Astrocat
Apr 18th, 2005, 07:52 PM
:D hahaha, no seriously - it tastes like feet.

That said, I'm eating some Cheezly on weird seeded-spelt crisp breads just now, and it's rather nice
:)

sylkan
May 2nd, 2005, 10:17 PM
Which diet / lifestyle change was easiest for you ??

Going from omni to lacto veggie was hard only because my reasons were confused and I did like the taste of meat (at that time!! not any more!). This latest switch has only been hard because i like eggs and I have got a lot of strange looks from friends and family. Some think I'm making things difficult for myself with the intention of eventual martydom.

I just shake my head...

littleTigercub
May 2nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
I think everyting you want 100% for all the right reasons is easy.

Giving up meat was so easy for me at age 16 although I thought I could never do without fish as I just liked it so much.

A few years ago, I became a bit more involved in the animal scene and it brought home to me that fish are indeed living creatures like cows, pigs and chickens and that with my tuna sandwich, I am eating carcasses just as those who have a hamburger. So giving up fish was the next logical step for me and I did not miss it a single bit.

About three months after I made the switch, I had one tuna sandwich (because I was hungry and there was nothing else there!) and did not even like it. I ate it half and it disgusted me so much that I just threw it in the bin.

When giving up fish I bought some vegetarian nutrition books because I wanted to learn where to get my nutrients and proteins from. A few of these books touched on vegan nutrition as well but I had to read them for a second time last year to really decide to give it a go.

I found it hard and although I cut down a big deal, i.e. never used milk again but soy instead, I felt I could not do without cheese and yoghurt. As my attachment to these foods was so strong I just gave it up.

2 weeks ago, I decided to give it a second try - originally, to lose 3 pounds I have gained (still 3 to go...) but while reading the book "Becoming vegan" again I really felt that this is what I want to do, and so far, with one day off, it`s been well...

I do consider myself as a vegetarian in transition to veganism...

littleTigercub

Monkey Wild
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:38 PM
I started making the transition to veganism over a month ago. I had become a vegetarian 8 years ago.

I think what has surprised me most is, not only is it not nearly as difficult to be a vegan as I had previously thought, but how EASY it WAS to be a vegetarian!! Becoming a vegan has made me realize that vegetarianism was actually an "easy way out" for me. I wonder if anyone here can relate to that.

I now wish I had made the vegan decision back when I made the vegetarian one, but I really wasn't aware of the truth about dairy/eggs/animal byproducts until more recently...it certainly is true that consuming dairy/eggs/etc is just as bad as consuming meat. It's really too bad that veganism tends to seem impossible to many vegetarians...I know that before I saw Howard Lyman give a lecture ("The Mad Cowboy" -- former cattle rancher who is now vegan......not sure how many of you guys have heard of him?...anyway, he's Great!!), I had thought it would be too hard for me to EVER become vegan...but Lyman made me understand that it's really NOT difficult, and so very important for so many reasons, and then it was only a matter of months before I began to make the switch.

Kumem
Aug 17th, 2005, 06:59 PM
I know what you mean about looking back and realising how easy being vegetarian was. I only mean in the sense of eating out though, as there are so many vegan products around these days.
I was amazed at how easy it was TBH

Gliondrach
Aug 17th, 2005, 07:05 PM
I started making the transition to veganism over a month ago. I had become a vegetarian 8 years ago.

I think what has surprised me most is, not only is it not nearly as difficult to be a vegan as I had previously thought, but how EASY it WAS to be a vegetarian!! Becoming a vegan has made me realize that vegetarianism was actually an "easy way out" for me. I wonder if anyone here can relate to that.

I now wish I had made the vegan decision back when I made the vegetarian one, but I really wasn't aware of the truth about dairy/eggs/animal byproducts until more recently...it certainly is true that consuming dairy/eggs/etc is just as bad as consuming meat. It's really too bad that veganism tends to seem impossible to many vegetarians...I know that before I saw Howard Lyman give a lecture ("The Mad Cowboy" -- former cattle rancher who is now vegan......not sure how many of you guys have heard of him?...anyway, he's Great!!), I had thought it would be too hard for me to EVER become vegan...but Lyman made me understand that it's really NOT difficult, and so very important for so many reasons, and then it was only a matter of months before I began to make the switch.

I'm going to buy his book.

I don't know if I started out in this world as a vegan. I was only a baby at the time, so don't know what kind of milk I was first fed on. At some point in my babyhood I became a lacto - when I was fed on buffalo milk. Then I became an omni. Again, I'm not sure how easy that was for me, as I was still a baby. Many, many years later I became a lacto-ovo, overnight. I just decided to do it. Strangely, about two years after this, I was in a motorway services place. I had about half an hour before the bus continued on its journey. I went to a dispenser machine and bought a pack of two sandwiches. I ate them as I read my book. It was only when I was back on the bus that I realised that they had been tongue sandwiches! I had absentmindedly and unconsciously chosen them. I never liked tongue so I don't know why I chose them. Perphaps I had pressed the wrong button, mistaking it for the one for cheese or egg sandwiches. I became vegan after living as a vegan for a few weeks. It was quite easy. But I did have that rehearsal period first. I am now working on becoming a saint. Nearly there.

tipsy
Aug 17th, 2005, 10:53 PM
theres no button to chose born veggie! :confused:

Rhiannon
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:14 PM
I went lacto-Ovo at about the age of 5 so I dont remember much about the transition there, But when I became a vegan about a year ago I didn't find it difficult at all. I personally found that once I realised the truth about the dairy industry etc, I found all animal products sickening and had no desire for them anymore.

urbandryad
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:57 PM
I've been a lacto-vegetarian since November, and turning vegan has been very difficult. I've been doing it in stages, cause quite frankly I never really ate meat that much before becoming vegetarian, but I never really ate VEGETABLES either time, so now I'm getting rid of a food group I usually consumed nearly 80% of the time I ever ate. So its been tough. But its getting there. I drink soy milk exclusively now, and no longer go out to fast food places, but still have things I need to be rid of forever before I can be totally vegan. ^^ Peace

Jesse
Aug 25th, 2005, 11:06 AM
I have been vegan since -98, and the change was very easy.
Iīve never liked meat so that probably made it easier, and I donīt like dairy either.
Also my mom is a very good and innovative cook, and she helped me with cooking so I learned how to make food that was healthy and tasty.

The only problem for me was that I didnīt care about b-12, Iīve just recently had it tested and started eating it as a pill.
I had it tested last winter and it was normal, which was a surprise for me, but I am still going to continue to eat it, just in case.