PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Rice Krispies

Tigerlily
Apr 7th, 2005, 02:46 PM
These are the best ever! Marshmallow free and they taste like caramel. Mm. I made them for my class for our little "breakfast party". Everyone loved them. They all asked me what my secret was and I said "No marshmallows!".

Here's the recipe:

1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter (can omit if you want)
7 cups rice krispies

Combine brown sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mix almost starts to boil. Stir frequently. Remove from heat, stir in PB and mix well. Stir in cereal, mixing until evenly coated. Press evenly and firmly into greased 13x9 pan. Let cool then cut into squares.

Tigerlily's Notes:
I didn't use the peanut butter and for the light corn syrup, I used the white/clear kind. I bought Crown's Lily White Corn Syrup.

This stuff is really good. Oh man. I want some more!

Glen
Apr 7th, 2005, 03:22 PM
Man, that sounds good, I have saved this page, and will hopefully be making that soon!

Artichoke47
Apr 7th, 2005, 04:09 PM
Also, there are vegan marshmallows (and also then vegetarian) available from vegan online stores, and I do believe they can be made at home.

Thank you for the recipe! :)

tails4wagging
Apr 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
whats corn syrup???

Steph
Apr 7th, 2005, 07:12 PM
I just sent my mom this recipie as she is a rice crispie freak! I told her I will make for her this weekend at her house, it sounds terrific.

Tailsforwagging:

what is corn syrup? (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&oi=defmore&q=define:Corn+Syrup)

Tigerlily
Apr 7th, 2005, 08:15 PM
Also, there are vegan marshmallows (and also then vegetarian) available from vegan online stores, and I do believe they can be made at home.

Thank you for the recipe! :)

:) Yeah this recipe is for those, like me, who can't get vegan marshmallows for whatever reason (last minute dessert, no credit card, etc).

Kiva Dancer
Apr 7th, 2005, 11:27 PM
I never liked marshmellows anyway so this is perfect!

thanks, tigerlily. :D

DianeVegan
Apr 11th, 2005, 11:16 PM
Tails, corn syrup is a liquid made of the sugar found in corn. You can purchase it in any grocery store in the states. It has replaced sugar in many packaged foods here, especially soda. It has the consistency of maple syrup or light molasses(sp?)

Tigerlily
Apr 11th, 2005, 11:17 PM
Yes, Tails, maybe you could use light maple syrop? I have never tried maple syrop (GASP!!) so I'm not sure how it would taste.

John
Apr 12th, 2005, 02:12 AM
Everyone that is not a nit-picker can skip this post.

For the record, I'm not convinced that American Rice Krispies are vegan. British Rice Krispies are vegan but there is a difference between the UK version and the US version. The US version has vitamin D while the UK doesn't. PETA lists Rice Krispies as vegan, but PETA also admits that it lists products with only a small amount of animal products as vegan so as not to make veganism seem too difficult to potential and new vegans. However, American Rice Krispies could be vegan anyway.

If you don't know what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

Tigerlily
Apr 12th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Everyone that is not a nit-picker can skip this post.

For the record, I'm not convinced that American Rice Krispies are vegan. British Rice Krispies are vegan but there is a difference between the UK version and the US version. The US version has vitamin D while the UK doesn't. PETA lists Rice Krispies as vegan, but PETA also admits that it lists products with only a small amount of animal products as vegan so as not to make veganism seem too difficult to potential and new vegans. However, American Rice Krispies could be vegan anyway.

If you don't know what I am talking about, don't worry about it.

In Canada, the Rice Krispies don't contain vitamin D. I got worried for a while (I made a thread about it) about vitamin D in cereals. I then went and checked all the cereal in the house and none had it.

Artichoke47
Apr 12th, 2005, 03:43 PM
I think nowadays, "rice krispies" is a generic term for any crisp rice cereal product.

mattd
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM
is there any reason that brown rice syrup wouldn't work? whenever a recipe calls for corn syrup i use that instead. it's supposed to be a little better for you than corn syrup (although i don't know in what ways).

Gorilla
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:41 PM
i don't know about Kellogg's, but it would seem most UK supermarket brand rice krispie cereals contain vitamin D3 (i only know because my boyfriend buys them).

i do like rice krispie squares though and these sound yummy :) i always liked the chocolate ones so maybe i should try making some of those too.

Tigerlily
Apr 12th, 2005, 08:34 PM
Yes, next time I'm adding chocolate chips!

John
Apr 12th, 2005, 09:41 PM
I think nowadays, "rice krispies" is a generic term for any crisp rice cereal product.

True, there are other puffed rice breakfast cereals.

GoodbyeGirl
Apr 13th, 2006, 09:09 AM
here are a couple more

peanutty crisped rice treats

1/2 c unsalted peanut butter
1/2 c rice syrup
2 t sweet white miso mixed with 2 t water
1/2 t vanilla
1/4 t cinnamon
1/4 c nondairy chocolate chips
1/4 c shredded coconut
2 1/2 c crispy brown rice cereal

preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
combine the peanut butter, rice syrup, miso, vanilla, and cinnamon in a medium-sized bowl. stir in the chocolate chips and coconut.
add the cereal and gently toss until evenly coated.
press the mixture into an unoiled 8 inch square baking pan. bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. allow to cool on a wire rack.
cut into 2 inch squares.

variation:
to make almond treats
replace the peanut butter with unsalted almond butter
omit the cinnamon, coconut, and chocolate chips
add 1/8 teaspoon of almond extract
follow above directions

SheDevilBiker
Apr 19th, 2006, 09:25 PM
There's a marshmallow recipe in La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer, coauthor of How it all Vegan and The Garden of Vegan.

I don't know if it's any good, but if anyone tries it, I'd love to hear how it goes.

ravenfire
May 16th, 2006, 01:28 AM
I have yet to find any mainstream brand of crisped rice cereals here in the US that didn't contain vit d (or any other cereal for that matter other than peanut butter cap'n crunch). I wouldn't be able to afford the organic versions so I haven't even looked at them.

zachariahlebaro
Aug 12th, 2007, 08:19 PM
These are the best ever! Marshmallow free and they taste like caramel. Mm. I made them for my class for our little "breakfast party". Everyone loved them. They all asked me what my secret was and I said "No marshmallows!".

Here's the recipe:

1 cup brown sugar (firmly packed)
1 cup light corn syrup
1 cup peanut butter (can omit if you want)
7 cups rice krispies

Combine brown sugar and corn syrup in saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves and mix almost starts to boil. Stir frequently. Remove from heat, stir in PB and mix well. Stir in cereal, mixing until evenly coated. Press evenly and firmly into greased 13x9 pan. Let cool then cut into squares.

Tigerlily's Notes:
I didn't use the peanut butter and for the light corn syrup, I used the white/clear kind. I bought Crown's Lily White Corn Syrup.

This stuff is really good. Oh man. I want some more!

I used chocolate rice krispies and penut butter... these are FANTASTIC! Thanks!