PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Mr Flibble
Oct 25th, 2005, 04:33 PM
I had some adventures in yorkshire pudding creation about 6 months ago. I can't remember exactly the recipe I was adapting was, but I got the taste down pretty easily. However, like others I had issues getting them to rise (they were too stodgy), and gave up in the end. I shall have to have another play at some point in the near future. My parents used to make non vegan ones (both muffin sized and large) with success on a regular basis.

foxytina_69
Nov 9th, 2005, 03:37 AM
mr flibble, if they had success, why dont u ask them how they made them? :)

Mr Flibble
Nov 9th, 2005, 09:27 AM
i have, but making yorkshire pud with eggs and dairy milk is very different! It's not something you can just bodge with egg replacer and soya milk

foxytina_69
Nov 9th, 2005, 09:34 AM
oh im sorry. i thought you said they made vegan ones! :o

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 06:47 PM
i was just watching a cooking show and these are the things the chef said make perfect yorkshire pudding:

-whisk the egg until frothy (this would work with egg replacer aswell) then whisk in milk, and then the flour and salt. then let the mixture sit in the fridge for a little bit.
-in a muffin tin, pour a little oil in each of the muffins, and put in the oven for a few minutes until the oil is very hot. apparently this is the key to puffy yorkshire pudding. then you take the muffin tin out of the oven, and add the yorkshire pudding mix quickly, tablespoon in each of the muffins while the oil is still hot, and then finish filling.
-then bake like normal.

Mr Flibble
Nov 12th, 2005, 07:07 PM
sounds about right, although I'm not sure how traditional muffin sized yorkshire puddings are, they sound like an 80s invention to me :)

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 08:08 PM
thats what youre supposed to bake yorkshire puddings in anyways :confused: what else would u bake them in? also, muffin tins come in a variety of sizes.

Pob
Nov 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
I think we Brits differentiate muffin cases and cake cases, and also the tins they go in. Generally Yorkshire puds are done in cake tins where there are 12 shallowish depressions. Muffin tins have 6 or 8 deeper and slightly wider depressions, to accomodate the deeper and wider muffin cases.

Not that we are in any way at all anal about these things, y'unnerstand. ;)

I don't like the term muffin cases and tins, either. Muffins are a kind of bread roll thing, not some kind of mutant cross between a scone and fairy cake.

Mr Flibble
Nov 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
I know what an american muffin is (;)), but traditionally yorkshire puddings are a lot bigger than muffin size. When I was younger we always had them about 9inchs in diameter - 1 divided into 2 portions. As far as I know the muffin sized ones are a recent thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yorkshire_pudding

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 09:54 PM
oh okay so it was a cake tin! LOL.

foxytina_69
Nov 12th, 2005, 09:56 PM
oh thats wierd. well thats how i always had them as a youngin!

hegerton
Nov 13th, 2005, 01:27 PM
That's what i'm going to be doing on tuesday night. i really can't wait. tis gonig to be my first vegan roast ever, je suis tres excited :D

Mr Flibble
Nov 13th, 2005, 01:40 PM
je suis tres excited :D

tu parle en franglais? ;)

As it's Sunday I'm gonna have another go tonight

hegerton
Nov 13th, 2005, 02:12 PM
tu parle en franglais? ;)

As it's Sunday I'm gonna have another go tonight

un petit pois

have you got any tips for the yorkies or the gravy?

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2006, 12:46 AM
I know this thread is old-ish...but YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS sound delicious. I've craving comfort foods lately. I never had yorkshire puddings before, so when I try the vegan ones, I won't have anything to compare it to.

I have a question, I'll be the only one in the house eating them, and I don't want to eat the whole batch....do they refrigerate or freeze well?

treehugga
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:03 AM
I know this thread is old-ish...but YORKSHIRE PUDDINGS sound delicious. I've craving comfort foods lately. I never had yorkshire puddings before, so when I try the vegan ones, I won't have anything to compare it to.

I have a question, I'll be the only one in the house eating them, and I don't want to eat the whole batch....do they refrigerate or freeze well?

In a word 'no' you can not really freeze these puds. The trick is to have the yp crispy on top and soft and spongy in the middle, this would not occur after freezing you would just have a stodgy lump.

treehugga
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:05 AM
I have however, left them in the fridge overnight and eaten them the next day heated up with some gravy - still quite good.

Pob
Feb 16th, 2006, 09:06 AM
Or eat them cold the next day with jam or fruit or ice cream :)

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Ooh thanks. I'm so looking forward to them. I just need to pick up some egg replacer ($$ :eek: ) and flour.

The sad truth is, I was watching this British TV show yesterday, You Are What You Eat, and the overweight woman in question was a yorkshire pudding addict. She ate several every day with lots of creamy mashed potatoes. :o I was actually salivating! :p

VeganJohn
Feb 16th, 2006, 04:35 PM
I'd be interested to know whether anyone has 'cracked' vegan Yorkshire puds yet. I made them about 2 years ago just with flour, soya milk and egg replacer (I think) and they tasted great although did not rise very well and looked like hockey pucks.

A chef in a veggie restaurant once told me to add baking powder to the mixture.

I have seen some strange looking recipes including soya yogurt (!) but this (US) one looks good, although I haven't tried it:

1 cup all-purpose white flour
1 1/2 ts baking powder
1 ts salt
1 ts cream of tartar
1/4 cup tofu, mashed
1 ts salt and pepper
1/2 water (as needed)

Blend ingredients until well combined.

Place some oil in an 8X8 inch baking pan. Place in a hot oven until the oil is extremely hot, but not burning. When hot, carefully pur the batter into the pan, being careful not to get splattered in the process. As it is best to keep the oil hot, you may want to have the pan sitting on and 'on' element while adding the batter. Return the pan to the oven and bake for 25 mins, or until the pudding tests done.

Ensure that a hot oven is used, e.g. 425F and the oil is really hot.

Kam
Feb 16th, 2006, 05:15 PM
WOW! This looks great - I will try it on Sunday. YPs are the only thing missing from my Sunday Roasts now. Mmmm. I will let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the recipe.

VeganJohn
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:03 PM
Hope it goes well!

Report back on how they turned out :>

Tigerlily
Feb 16th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Ooh, I will try out both recipes! What else do you recommend to eat with them? I'm thinking mashed potatoes, peas, cooked carrots...

Tromaville
Aug 2nd, 2006, 09:08 PM
Ignore this post... Flutterby has put the post on the thread thats got loads of ideas on - cheers flutterby (I did look before I posted - honest!!). Right then time to get stuick into trying those recipes :)

Post was:

Have tried a couple of different vegan Yorkshire Pudding recipes but never had any success :( . Has anyone got any decent yorkshire pudding recipes to try?

Cheers
Trom

foxytina_69
Aug 3rd, 2006, 03:43 AM
i dont like the idea of tofu in my yorkshire pudding :S

tigerlily, anything classic is really good with yorkshire pudding. i like having it with nut roast, gravy, any classic veggies, and potatoes.