PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

foxytina_69
Aug 3rd, 2006, 04:51 AM
i changed my mind for dinner tonight. tonights its yorkshire puddings and gravy and roasted garlic potatoes!

IndigoSea
Aug 11th, 2006, 01:40 PM
Oh lord, I had serious issues getting yorkshire puddings to rise when I did use eggs! couldn't imagine how badly I'd fail without them :D

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2006, 03:57 PM
1 cup all-purpose flour (we use rice flour only because were celiac)
1 cup soymilk
egg replacer equal to 2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

used this recipe today foxy and cut it in half as it was just me eating the vegan ones.

i used 1/4 cup ordinary flour and 1/4 spelt flour.

tasted really nice, doughy and soft with a delicate crispy surface - mmmm they were good with gravy and mint sauce all over them.:)
(plus carrots, spinach, fresh peas, rosemary potatoes, stuffing)

paulvegan
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I'll give them a go now , since cedar wasn't been poisoned ;D

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:13 PM
well i felt fine to type thi................

paulvegan
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:18 PM
rolfl

cedarblue
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:20 PM
*makes drumming movements*

bo dum pum chchchchch :)

paulvegan
Aug 13th, 2006, 04:26 PM
R O L F L

foxytina_69
Sep 6th, 2006, 12:55 AM
im glad you liked them cedar. thats just how mine always turn out. soft on the inside and crispy on the outside and smothered with gravy!

im making these again tonight hahaha.

nickysr
Sep 9th, 2006, 10:53 PM
my hubbie makes these at Xmas - soya milk, egg replacer etc... but he uses olive oil mixed with a little sesame oil to cook them in - they come out nice and nutty flavoured.... but it is still hit and miss if they all rise!

coney
Nov 15th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Yorkshire puddings...sounds like the basic Southern U.S. biscuit. Not a sweet "cookie" biscuit like in the UK, but just your basic flour/milk/egg mixture that you bake, then put gravy on, or butter and honey.

I'm a Yankee, and have never experienced the Yorkshire Pudding...

Cumin
Nov 16th, 2006, 08:38 PM
OK. I tried this tonight. From all the various posts I decided to use:
1 cup flour, 1 cup soya milk, 2 eggs worth of no-egg and 1/2 tsp salt.
Wisked with electric mixer for 2 mins till frothy.
I needed to add a little extra milk as the mix was way too thick.

Remembering my mums old method for traditional ones when I was a kid, I pre-heated the tray, and lined the cups with melted Pure-spread. Poured in a heaped desert spoon of mix in each and baked in HOT oven (about 220C).

They tasted OK, but they didn't rise much.
As veganJohn said - "Ice Hockey Pucks" :)

So what am I doing wrong? Someone suggested to me that I add a little baking soda. Or perhaps there was too much salt?

foxytina_69
Nov 16th, 2006, 09:25 PM
i dont think there was too much salt, but it doesnt sound like you put nearly enough in each. i fill it right to the top on each cup. theyre not going to rise very much as a vegan yorkshire pudding, so i just fill it right up and then it doesnt need to rise alot.

Cumin
Nov 16th, 2006, 10:03 PM
Thanks Foxy !
Why don't they rise though? What are we missing?
Does anyone know?

Mr Flibble
Nov 17th, 2006, 12:09 AM
I haven't perfected yorkshires yet, but each time i try they are getting better. Taste is pretty much there and they do rise, but not amazingly (more than hockey puck). I don't use egg replacer ever in any cooking.

The secret with normal yorkshires and seems to be true with ones without egg is that the oven has to be very hot and the tray preheated with a generous amount of oil in. The oil needs to start sizzling as soon as the batter goes in and they need to be bunged in the oven ASAP. The amount of oil should be such that the batter goes in and is suspended in it (i.e. there's a thin layer of oil all around).

foxytina_69
Nov 17th, 2006, 12:21 AM
yes thats how youre supposed to cook them, but i found it didnt make a difference in mine. i like them better without actually. i found them too crispy that way. when i make them without the oil, theyre softer.

Cumin
Nov 20th, 2006, 08:18 AM
Agreed.. My oven was very hot (we call it "The Fires of Hell" in our house), and I did have the oil - just you described. That's how I remember doing it with my mum when I was a kid. Maybe I'll give it another go and get them into the pan a bit faster next time. Plus I'll add more mixture. I'll let you know how I get on.

vegmuncher
Nov 24th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Funnily enough I made yorkshire puds last night using a recipe that works well with gravy - it rises and is pretty light and crispy:

Makes 3 puds (I make them in a 6 x 2 deep muffin tin):

50g self raising flour
100ml soya milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp egg replacer (I use orgran "no egg")
pinch salt
1tsp sugar
1tsp sunflower oil
30g hard cooking fat

Mix everything apart from the hard cooking fat together and whisk well to form a batter (I use a hand whisk).

Put a muffin tray into the oven on 220 celsius and allow to get up to temp, put 10g of the hard fat into each of 3 of the muffin "craters" and put into the oven until its melted and at temp

pour a third of the batter into each of the 3 "craters" and place in oven immediately - cook for about 15 minutes until the top has gone golden brown.

Wishin986
Nov 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
i was talking to my boyfriends parents about yorkshire pudding the other day - they're british! and bread sauce - and how we could possibly veganize them. ill have to give them a go and see if i can make them remotely as good and maybe win them over to some veganized versions of english staples ;)

Cumin
Nov 27th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Funnily enough I made yorkshire puds last night using a recipe that works well with gravy - it rises and is pretty light and crispy:

Makes 3 puds (I make them in a 6 x 2 deep muffin tin):

50g self raising flour
100ml soya milk
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp egg replacer (I use orgran "no egg")
pinch salt
1tsp sugar
1tsp sunflower oil
30g hard cooking fat

Mix everything apart from the hard cooking fat together and whisk well to form a batter (I use a hand whisk).

Put a muffin tray into the oven on 220 celsius and allow to get up to temp, put 10g of the hard fat into each of 3 of the muffin "craters" and put into the oven until its melted and at temp

pour a third of the batter into each of the 3 "craters" and place in oven immediately - cook for about 15 minutes until the top has gone golden brown.

Aha ! Self-raising flour PLUS baking powder ! I was going to try the self-raising flour too, and now I definitely will. :)

david.summo
Dec 4th, 2006, 02:20 PM
I tried these awhile back from a recipe in a book, they tasted really good but there was little rising, maybe there are some different things we can put in to make them rise. isn't self raising flour just plain flour with baking powder in it anyway?

vegmuncher
Dec 7th, 2006, 01:24 AM
Not sure, but I've tried it with both and self-raising worked better. The real key is the hard vegetable fat being really hot when the batter is added and then putting it into the hot oven immediately. Thats what causes the rising and crisping, otherwise it can go too "cakey".

MarkAnthony
Dec 9th, 2006, 02:51 AM
I'm going to be trying some of these. I would absolutely love some vegan yorkshire puddings for my Christmas dinner. :)

MarkAnthony
Dec 22nd, 2006, 07:26 PM
I tried the above recipe with a couple of variations. I used plain flour because I don't have any self raising in and three tsp of baking powder instead of one. Also instead of putting hard fat in the baking tray I put a little oil in each crater. Other than that I followed the recipe. These worked very well, the only thing that I think is a potential problem is that they taste a little salty even though I didn't actually add any. I think this might be down to the bicarbonate of soda in the baking powder.

Next time I make these I'm going to try using wholemeal flour and two tsp of baking powder, or I might stick with the one tsp and try self raising wholemeal flour. These did rise very nicely though and were light and airy, unlike other ones I've tried.

EFCliz
Jan 5th, 2007, 10:18 AM
I tried this recipe on Christmas day, given to me by a friend at work. I really liked them though they didn't rise that much. Next time I'll try them with half wholemeal half white flour as I expect they will rise more that way. I used oat milk which I like best for cooking, and I did heat the oil in the pan before adding the batter. I don't use egg replacer so I'm glad to find this recipe.

Vegan Yorkshire pud

Also make a great toad-in-the-hole (this is the ‘hole’ - use veggie sausage for the toad.)

85g / 3 oz / 1/3 cup vegan margarine (e.g. ‘Pure’ available from Morrison’s, etc.)
285g / 10 oz / 21/2 cups wholewheat flour
Pinch of sea salt
2 teaspoons of baking powder
570ml / 1 pint / 21/2 cups soya milk

1) Melt the margarine.

2) In a bowl combine the flour, salt, baking powder, melted margarine and soya milk.

3) Pour the mixture into a greased baking tin. Bake at 425oF / 225oC / Gas Mark 7 for about 15 minutes; then at 350oF / 180oC / Gas Mark 4 for a further 15 - 20 minutes.

Talking of Christmas food I made the bread sauce from Rose Elliot Vegan Feasts and it was delicious!