PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

yo-yo
Mar 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM
ITs Sunday and I'm getting very excited about the vegan roast I'll be making later on tonight...

especially as now I've looked at this thread I can attempt to make yorkshire pudding!! this will be the first time since being vegan... wish me luck!

I did make pancakes on pancake day a couple of weeks ago and they were very tasty so I have faith that the yorkshire puds will turn out fine.

by the sounds of it they won't raise like non-v ones, but who cares they'll taste better simply in the knowledge that theyre animal friendly :D

also, EFCliz- THANK YOU for reminding me about toad in the hole- I SHALL be making this very soon and I'll let you know how it turns out...

x x x

Pob
Mar 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I just made puds with this recipe:

1 Cup flour (8 fl oz)
1 Cup soya milk (8 fl oz)
2 tablespoons plain soya yoghurt
salt and pepper

Heated oil in cake tray for about 10 minutes on max setting
Cooked them on max setting for 20 minutes

Didn't rise massively, but were really nice all the same. Next time I will do them for about 15 minutes as they were a bit too crispy, really.

yo-yo
Mar 6th, 2007, 06:52 PM
hello pob-
i will try them with vegan yoghurt next time..

yay to vegan yorkshire puds, they were delicious! :) yay to any vegan food actually (just not peas...though I'm working on this) x x

foxytina_69
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:35 AM
mmm i made these again for dinner tonight.

i think the trick with the whole rising issue, it doesnt really matter if they rise or not. just double the recipe, and fill the muffin tins up all the way. that way you dont get small yorkshire puddings, you get full sized yorkshire puddings.

thats how i do it! i also like to let them cool first and then microwave them when ready to eat. theyre softer and fluffier that way, rather than fresh out of the oven i find. but that may be just because i make them gluten free.

i make these all the time and never have an issue.

Pob
Mar 7th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Yeah, I filled them up to the top. Used a good dollop of olive oil in each depression, too, as I don't use teflon coated stuff, so I thought they might stick - they didn't though :)

Pob
Mar 20th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Had no yoghurt so modified the recipe like this:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup soya milk
2 rounded tablespoons lentil flour
salt and black pepper
dried herbs

Batter tasted of peas when raw, but tasted lovely when cooked.

15 minutes on highest heat and they were just right, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

Cherry
Mar 21st, 2007, 09:31 PM
Mmmm. Do you have any pics of your masterpieces? And can we all come to yours for Sunday lunch? :D

Pob
Mar 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
Forgot to take pics - too busy eating them.

I'm making more at the moment, so I'll try and take a pic. Trying out a new muffin tray though, so they may come out different.

piggy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 08:29 PM
Had no yoghurt so modified the recipe like this:

1 cup plain flour
1 cup soya milk
2 rounded tablespoons lentil flour
salt and black pepper
dried herbs

Batter tasted of peas when raw, but tasted lovely when cooked.

15 minutes on highest heat and they were just right, crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside.

i tried that tonight, and they were quite tasty, except i think i used a little too much baking powder. it's the first time i've had yorkshire puddings though, so i haven't got anything to compare it too...:rolleyes:

Pob
Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:57 PM
Baking powder? I didn't use any baking powder at all.

For my next batch I'm gonna use yoghurt and lentil flour - the lentil flour adds a bit of colour to it.

piggy
Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:40 PM
all the previous posts used self-raising flour, so i just assumed that's what you used too:confused: and as i don't have any, i used baking powder and normal flour.
also, i used chickpea flour instead of lentil flour and water and a dash of olive oil instead of soya milk...an adaptation of an adaptation of a ....etc :D

what's the purpose of the yoghurt? does it give it a bit of a sour taste?

edit: i just realised that you actually stated "plain flour" in the recipe...hehe, i'm one for seeing what i want to see..

Pob
Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:03 PM
He he - you have invented a whole new recipe!:D

I just thought the yoghurt might work as a bit of an egg replacer. And it seemed to.

Mr Flibble
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm making more at the moment, so I'll try and take a pic.

*waits*

Pob
Apr 4th, 2007, 03:45 PM
They weren't good. The other tray is better.

Will make some good ones soon.

Maybe tonight :)

Hemlock
Oct 7th, 2007, 06:29 PM
Damn it all to hell. I spent hours on preparation with every possible attention to detail and got - HOCKEY PUCKS:mad:
Corum refuses to give up until he has mastered the black arts of vegan yorkshire puddings.
He says when making non vegan yp's you don't fill the tin right up to the top - you fill it about one third way so it rises up the sides giving that classic bowl shape. I really don't think there is any substitute for egg that has the right clinging and setting consistency to do that.

foxytina_69
Oct 7th, 2007, 07:35 PM
hemlock, vegan ones dont rise, thats why i fill them to the top. they only rise a tiny bit.

and dont use hot oil in the tins. everyone says to do that but i find it makes them hard. i just grease the pain and then put in the mix and bake them normal.

also, yorkshire puddings are normally harder when fresh baked, then when they are left to sit for a while in the fridge and you eat them later. i always cook my yorkshires hours before dinner and then warm them up when were ready to eat them. theyre always softer that way.

im making yorkshires tonight! yum!

Hemlock
Oct 7th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm never making YP's again, I'm a broken woman :)

henryfoole
Nov 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I tried many times and like others i get ice hockey pucks also. However I vary the recipe each time in the hope one day I hit on the missing ingredient!

Yesterday I tried adding a couple of teaspoons of Vital wheat Gluten powder. The idea was that this would give the mixture the ablity to retain structure when they started to rise upwards.

The result was ice hockey pucks. Gloom....:(

Next week I am going to craft some yorkshire pudding frames using wire and dip them in batter mix and then bake. Deconstruct the wireframe work....and hopefully...the perfect vegan yorkshire pudding. No more gloom :)

bryzee86
Nov 19th, 2007, 06:29 PM
hahaha, henry you foole.

ba dum *tish*

henryfoole
Nov 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
I have put my animation skills to good use to demonstrate succinctly the difference between a normal yorkshire pudding and a vegan one.

http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/9153/yoskshirewj0.gif

Pob
Nov 28th, 2007, 07:01 PM
Oooh! I made more today. I used the lentil flour version of my recipes (had no yoghurt). New secret ingredient, though - I used coconut oil (the cheap deodorised stuff) as the fat in the pan. Came out really well - they even rose in a fairy cake kind of way.

I may have eaten 6 of them :o

Cumin
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Hmm.. good one pob. That might be worth a try.

Pob
Nov 29th, 2007, 10:37 AM
I think what makes a difference is coconut oil can be heated much hotter without smoking. I had the oven on max - about 250 Celcius. Doing that with olive oil, the oil smokes badly and presumably doesn't do the job as the puddings stick to the pan (I use a stainless steel pan).

I got a tub of KTC oil for £1.49 for 500ml - so it's not too pricey.

Mr Flibble
Nov 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Still waiting for photographic evidence ;)

henryfoole
Nov 29th, 2007, 03:01 PM
I did try it with coconut oil once but my GF came along and put lime in the coconut and drank em both up.

Result: Hockey Pucks.

View my latest batch of vegan yorkshires here: http://www.yourniagara.ca/cmsimages/content/8253882.jpg