PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Poison Ivy
Nov 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I had a bash at yorkshire puddings tonight:)

I used:

3oz S/R Flour
1 oz Gram Flour (mainly to add a golden tinge to the batter)
salt and pepper to taste
250ml soya milk
15ml Apple Cider Vinegar
50 ml water

sift flours together. Add Salt and Pepper. Mix.
Add cider vinegar to soya milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
Beat soya milk mixture into flour, add water and WHISK WELL to get a nice smooth mixture.
Pour mixture into pre-heated oiled muffin pans. (I used sunflower oil). Bake at Gas Mark 8 until golden and crispy - about 15 minutes I would say.

As you can see from the pics they didn't rise too much (but they did rise - you can see the beginnings of a hollowed middle!) -although they did probably double in size from the original volume of batter. The yorkshire pudding itself was crispy, lightish in texture and nice and fluffy in the middle. I may try again and add some extra baking powder to see if I can get them to rise well.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures003-9.jpg

Inside shot, blurry but you kind of get the gist!:o
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures005-7.jpg

henryfoole
Nov 29th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Poison Ivy your marco photography is fooling no one. You have baked Ice Hockey Pucks, Don't feel despondent, because its the dilusion that counts when it comes to vegan yorkshires. :)

Joking aside they look not half bad...well done :)

Sorry it's a double bluff, there hockey pucks and you know it.

Poison Ivy
Nov 30th, 2007, 07:49 AM
Sorry it's a double bluff, there hockey pucks and you know it.

Yeah, hockey pucks they are...but they tasted nice so I'm not too bothered!:p

RubyDuby
Nov 30th, 2007, 11:18 PM
this thread is making me crack up!

Risker
Dec 8th, 2007, 03:54 AM
Made some today, they rose fine and were very nice.

Can't give an exact recipe but it was something like this;

4oz self raising flour
2 tsp noegg
pinch salt
250ml soy milk
1 tsp baking soda
50-100ml sparkling water (I'm sure normal waters fine but it was close to hand)

Guacamole Gal
Dec 8th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Y'know, I was actually wondering just lastweek whether there was a way of making vegan yorkies...Now it appears there is! Must try..

Risker, I've actually heard the tv chefs saying that sparkling water is better for batter (try saying that after a few pints) when making tempura etc,so I'm guessing it was probably the right choice for ya puds too?

Mmm, puds n gravy...

bryzee86
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:17 AM
Y'know, I was actually wondering just lastweek whether there was a way of making vegan yorkies...Now it appears there is! Must try..

Risker, I've actually heard the tv chefs saying that sparkling water is better for batter (try saying that after a few pints) when making tempura etc,so I'm guessing it was probably the right choice for ya puds too?

Mmm, puds n gravy...

just make sure you don't use tonic water because you'll get a bitter, not better batter. And make sure it's vegan! You don't want bitter/better butter batter. :p:o

sorry.

Risker
Dec 10th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Well, that was the idea but I realised that considering the thick consistency and the fact that it had to be mixed in I very much doubt it had any affect. Baking soda does help however as I made half with and half without and the ones with rose better.

henryfoole
Dec 16th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Little tip: Try using grape seed oil instead of sunflower oil.

Linxie
Apr 1st, 2008, 11:59 AM
My Mum helped me make yorkshire puddings the other day with soya milk and egg replacer. We think we used too much flour and not enough liquid (due to me reading the instructions wrong on the egg replacer!). They didn't rise and were as flat as pancakes. However, they tasted exactly like yorkshire puddings!! So I enjoyed them anyway. I'll try again next time I go to my Mum's for Sunday lunch and see if I can get them to rise this time! :D

Linxie
Jun 25th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Any one had any luck lately with yorkshire pudding? I am craving toad in the whole but still can't get my puddings to rise! :rolleyes:

bryzee86
Jun 25th, 2008, 12:46 PM
I think i'll give this a bas at the weekend using risker's method.

Linxie
Jun 25th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Let me know how you get on. I think its my cooking skills that are at fault, rather than my batter :rolleyes:

Zero
Jan 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I made yorkshire puddings tonight.

I used a very simple recipe that worked quite well:

8 ounces self raising flour
1/2 Pint Unsweetened Soy Milk
1/2 Pint Plain Soy Yogurt
1 tbs lemon juice
Pinch of salt

Mix it all together (to slightly runnier than pancake batter, add extra soy milk if needed) and pour into your tins.

They didn't come out looking exactly the way I remember them but they seem to taste similar, but slightly lighter and fluffier, I think this is due to traditional Yorkshire puddings being made using animal fats and eggs which are much heavier.

So in my second batch I added a small piece of Pure spread in the center of each one before putting them in the oven and I got something that I think is little closer to the original article, the outsides were crispier and they certainly seemed heavier and more like the kind I remember eating in the past. Photo's below.

Batch 1
http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2120/130/118/675627449/n675627449_1262321_4254.jpg

Batch 2
http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2120/130/118/675627449/n675627449_1262407_4789.jpg

With Fry's strips, peas and gravy
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2120/130/118/675627449/n675627449_1262322_4751.jpg

Linxie
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I've been trying to make yorkshire puds lately but no matter what I do, they will not rise :mad:

Zero
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Mine don't rise huge amounts, but they rise enough to be considered a success. Try my recipe and add a little pure or vegetable oil like I did in my second batch. Don't over mix your ingredients and get it to slightly runnier than pancake batter. :)

Cherry
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Those second lot look pretty good Zero. Do they taste yoghurty!?

My mum offered us some Yorkshire pudding recently...what she gave us resembled yorkshire pudding in very few ways! :D More like a sort of chewy, overcooked, flat, frozen-and-then-defrosted-and-cooked again pancake. I appreciate her trying though :D

Zero
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Oh dear, it is nice when others make the effort though I agree.

They didn't taste yogurty at all :) They do have a slightly different taste to the omni version (as you would expect) but in the main the taste pretty much how I remember them (although I confess it's been years!).

Regardless they were very edible :D

Cherry
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Cool. Might have to get some yoghurt...

BlackCats
Jan 27th, 2009, 09:50 PM
The second batch look very yummy Zero.:)

Mr Flibble
Jan 27th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Looking good

You've tried some with yoghurt in that I made a couple of years ago cherry. The taste doesn't come through, but my attempt really didn't rise enough.

I think we may be having the same problem as choix

Cherry
Jan 28th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Oh cool. I really liked those. Well...they tasted right...

Corum
Jan 28th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Hockey Pucks!!! :D

I must give some of these a go... being a Yorkshireman and all ;)

Gorilla
Jan 28th, 2009, 11:01 AM
http://photos-c.ak.fbcdn.net/photos-ak-snc1/v2120/130/118/675627449/n675627449_1262322_4751.jpg

mmmmm that photo's making me very hungry indeed! :devil:

Mr Flibble
Feb 2nd, 2009, 01:59 PM
Eureka! I've cracked it!

I thought, momentarily.

But I was wrong, it was a complete disaster.

The batter floated on top of the oil and didn't really cook at all well. I'd added some tumeric to make them less anemic looking, but obviously too much as they went bright yellow.

The rest of the meal was quite pleasant.