PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

vava
Feb 2nd, 2009, 02:00 PM
what a teaser!

vava
Mar 10th, 2009, 08:09 PM
I had an idea for yorkies tonight and tried it - this is the very tasty result!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3602/3344173535_6bfac3c10b_o.jpg

Poison Ivy
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Vava you absolutely cannot post a picture like that without saying how you did it!!:D

vava
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:29 PM
really tasty! - omni husband said oh tastier than normal yorkies - would be nice with jam - even omni stepson said they were nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

vava
Mar 10th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Recipe

1 cup all purpose flour

0.5 cup nutritional yeast flakes

0.5 cup fine cornmeal (the yellow coloured stuff not cornflour)

.25 tsp Xantham gum whisked with

.50 cup hot water

1 tsp salt

2 tsp of baking powder

2 cups soya milk

Mix dry stuff together then add wet stuff and put in preheated oiled muffin cases. oven 160 about 20 mins.

Only 1 prob - I think it may be the gum but they stick pretty well to the bottom of the tins:o taste great tho:lol:

sixesmum
Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:04 PM
I've tried these and quite a few other recipes and I can't get them to work. The Yorkshires are hard on the outside and don't cook on the inside. What am I doing wrong?

- - - Updated - - -

Eureka! I've cracked it!

I thought, momentarily.

But I was wrong, it was a complete disaster.

The batter floated on top of the oil and didn't really cook at all well. I'd added some tumeric to make them less anemic looking, but obviously too much as they went bright yellow.

The rest of the meal was quite pleasant.

Don't feel bad, I haven't been able to crack it either. They come out hard on the outside and uncooked on the inside!

Poison Ivy
Nov 23rd, 2012, 11:41 PM
I am actually wondering now if with The Vegg existing if vegan Yorkshire Puddings might work better now?? Anyone with a packet of Vegg want to try it out??

sixesmum
Nov 24th, 2012, 03:39 AM
I am actually wondering now if with The Vegg existing if vegan Yorkshire Puddings might work better now?? Anyone with a packet of Vegg want to try it out??

I found a recipe using the Vegg but they still didn't turn out right :(

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

I had a bash at yorkshire puddings tonight:)

I used:

3oz S/R Flour
1 oz Gram Flour (mainly to add a golden tinge to the batter)
salt and pepper to taste
250ml soya milk
15ml Apple Cider Vinegar
50 ml water

sift flours together. Add Salt and Pepper. Mix.
Add cider vinegar to soya milk and let stand for 5 minutes.
Beat soya milk mixture into flour, add water and WHISK WELL to get a nice smooth mixture.
Pour mixture into pre-heated oiled muffin pans. (I used sunflower oil). Bake at Gas Mark 8 until golden and crispy - about 15 minutes I would say.

As you can see from the pics they didn't rise too much (but they did rise - you can see the beginnings of a hollowed middle!) -although they did probably double in size from the original volume of batter. The yorkshire pudding itself was crispy, lightish in texture and nice and fluffy in the middle. I may try again and add some extra baking powder to see if I can get them to rise well.

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures003-9.jpg

Inside shot, blurry but you kind of get the gist!:o
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f158/rubysoho73/debspictures005-7.jpg
These look good! I will hAve to try your recipe!

Firestorm
Nov 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
I tried putting Vegg in a recipe for Toad in the hole and it didn't make much difference, but I wonder if it makes a difference if you mix dry Vegg into the flour, or made up Vegg into the batter? I can't remember which I did now:rolleyes:

Niccie
Nov 24th, 2012, 06:01 PM
I use a similar recipe to Zero above - but make sure to put oil in the baking tray and heat it up REALLY REALLY hot before putting mixture in. If it's really hot, so it mixture sizzles when poured in get some rising on outside and soft fluffy in middle.Took me a long time to get them to 'look' like Yorkshire puds but they taste nice and none yoghurt-y regardless!Oh and don't use olive oil as it's heat proof!

Gwydion
Nov 25th, 2012, 06:52 PM
I am not skilled enough to cook suck things, but can see that Ms Maplespice (http://www.maplespice.com/2009/09/vegan-yorkshire-pudding.html) has a version - I tend to trust her recipes / taste :-)

Thought it worth a mention / another option to above recipes.

MyLovelyHorse
Dec 17th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Hi! I made some vegan Yorkshire puddings for a vegan pot luck a few months back and they turned out great. Rose well and had that crispy on the outside texture you want from your puds.

I've tried a lot of different ways including the cider vinegar method mentioned upthread. However this one worked really well. To my mind the cider vinegar method doesn't give quite the right texture (the puds turn out a bit 'cakey').

Now I'm a bit hazy on the quantities for this, since I'm a 'by-eye' cook. Anyway let's give it a go.

1 cup plain flour
about a 2.5 inch cube of tofu
BEtween 2-3 cups of soya milk
Good pinch of salt.

If you've made Yorkshire puddings before (non-vegan) this recipe is very similar. All you're doing is substituting egg with tofu. You'll need a stick blender.

First, HEAT THE OVEN. The oil in the pan needs to be REALLY hot. The best oil to use is groundnut oil since it can get really hot without burning. You want the oven at about 210C.

Sieve flour into bowl & add salt. Blend in the tofu with the stick blender. You'll get a bread-crumb like texture, not something doughy. Don't worry about that at this stage just mix it as best you can. Then add the milk. Keep adding as you blend with the blender. You want an end result that pours really easily (think about the texture of single cream). The consistency of the blend is really important. If your batter is too thick it won't rise properly.

IMPORTANTLY - leave your batter to SIT for half an hour or so. I don't know why this is important but it is. You do this for non-vegan Yorkshires too, it seems to make them rise much better.

Then! Pour your batter into the tin. The oil should sizzle when the batter hits it. If it doesn't then the oil's not hot enough. Again this is important. If the oil's not hot your puds won't rise.

Hope some of you get on well with this recipe. My puds always turn out well this way, and I am a born & bred Yorkshirewoman. I missed my puds a lot and experimented a lot with different vegan methods before I came up with this one. It got a lot of positive comments at the vegan potluck! Good luck x

yo-yo
Dec 24th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi! I made some vegan Yorkshire puddings for a vegan pot luck a few months back and they turned out great. Rose well and had that crispy on the outside texture you want from your puds.

I've tried a lot of different ways including the cider vinegar method mentioned upthread. However this one worked really well. To my mind the cider vinegar method doesn't give quite the right texture (the puds turn out a bit 'cakey').

Now I'm a bit hazy on the quantities for this, since I'm a 'by-eye' cook. Anyway let's give it a go.

1 cup plain flour
about a 2.5 inch cube of tofu
BEtween 2-3 cups of soya milk
Good pinch of salt.

If you've made Yorkshire puddings before (non-vegan) this recipe is very similar. All you're doing is substituting egg with tofu. You'll need a stick blender.

First, HEAT THE OVEN. The oil in the pan needs to be REALLY hot. The best oil to use is groundnut oil since it can get really hot without burning. You want the oven at about 210C.

Sieve flour into bowl & add salt. Blend in the tofu with the stick blender. You'll get a bread-crumb like texture, not something doughy. Don't worry about that at this stage just mix it as best you can. Then add the milk. Keep adding as you blend with the blender. You want an end result that pours really easily (think about the texture of single cream). The consistency of the blend is really important. If your batter is too thick it won't rise properly.

IMPORTANTLY - leave your batter to SIT for half an hour or so. I don't know why this is important but it is. You do this for non-vegan Yorkshires too, it seems to make them rise much better.

Then! Pour your batter into the tin. The oil should sizzle when the batter hits it. If it doesn't then the oil's not hot enough. Again this is important. If the oil's not hot your puds won't rise.

Hope some of you get on well with this recipe. My puds always turn out well this way, and I am a born & bred Yorkshirewoman. I missed my puds a lot and experimented a lot with different vegan methods before I came up with this one. It got a lot of positive comments at the vegan potluck! Good luck x

I have tried several recipes for vegan y. puds, think I might try yours tomorrow as part of my xmas lunch/dinner, will let you know if they come out nice!

yo-yo
Dec 26th, 2012, 12:08 AM
^I used the recipe above today- they came out great!! Thanks! These are the best vegan Y.puds I think I've ever tasted and my bf thinks so too! It didn't say how long to cook them for, I think I cooked them for around 35-40 minutes. They didn't rise all that much despite making sure the oil was v.v.hot, I think I may try adding a small bit of baking powder next time.
:)