PDA

View Full Version : Yorkshire pudding

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

RockyRaccoon
Mar 26th, 2005, 09:35 AM
I'm going to have a go at these this weekend. I've read that they usually come out pretty rubbish. I googled and found recipes which use tofu, soya yogurt or egg replacer. Has anybody tried making them? Which recipe did you use? What did they turn out like?

VeganMum
Mar 26th, 2005, 10:03 AM
Ive not tried making them but would be interested to see which turns out well. I received a cookery book today i won on ebay and its got some wonderful stuff in so will be busy trying some of the recipes in there. Its called Easy Vegan Cooking so here's hoping it is.
Good luck with the yorkies

kokopelli
Mar 26th, 2005, 10:37 AM
I'd love to know what happens too! Good luck!

I've always thought yorkshire puddings were one of those things that it'd be impossible to turn vegan, like meringues.

But I just read the other day that hempseeds contain albumin, the same protein as found in eggs, so for all I know, there could be albumin in other seeds, tofu etc as well. And probably it's the albumin that holds the air in whisked egg whites.

What is egg replacer made from, BTW?

RockyRaccoon
Mar 26th, 2005, 10:42 AM
What is egg replacer made from, BTW?
No idea. I'm off to the shops to buy some now!

I'll let you all know how I get on :)

Spiral
Mar 26th, 2005, 01:14 PM
I buy Orgran egg replacer and the ingredients are:
potato starch, tapioca flour, vegetable gum: methylcellulose, calcium carbonate and citric acid.
I mainly use it for making cakes, but have tried making yorkshire puds with it once and they didn't rise as much as I'd hoped. Next time I'll put some extra in and see if that works better.

Basic vegan yorkshire pudding mix

1 cup of flour
egg replacer to the equivalent of 2 eggs
1 cup of soya milk
pinch of salt

foxytina_69
Mar 26th, 2005, 04:31 PM
heres a recipe my sister uses for yorkshire pudding and i just cant get enough of it! smothered in vegan gravy its delicious.

1 cup all-purpose flour (we use rice flour only because were celiac)
1 cup soymilk
egg replacer equal to 2 eggs
1/2 tsp salt

mix, pour into cupcake pans and bake in 425 oven for 35 minutes.

RockyRaccoon
Mar 28th, 2005, 03:55 PM
well I completely forgot to buy any egg replacer when I went shopping so I ended up making some using yofu instead. My daughter's response was "yuck, minging", but I rather liked them. They didn't taste anything like yorkshire puddings though!

feline01
Mar 28th, 2005, 03:59 PM
well I completely forgot to buy any egg replacer when I went shopping so I ended up making some using yofu instead. My daughter's response was "yuck, minging", but I rather liked them. They didn't taste anything like yorkshire puddings though!

Some people don't like yucky yofu :D

Gorilla
Mar 28th, 2005, 07:10 PM
my mum's always complaining that her egg-based Yorkshire puddings don't rise. i suggested she try a vegan version and she actually said it might be worth a go ;) i haven't tried it myself though, yet. i suspect i may have a wheat intolerance and haven't got the money to buy things like rice flour at the moment.

foxytina_69
Apr 8th, 2005, 01:08 PM
the basic recipe:

1 cup flour
1 cup soy milk
2 'eggs' (egg replacer equal to 2 eggs)
dash salt

mix all together and pour equally into greased 12 muffin pan. bake at 425 degrees for 35 minutes.

gluten free yorkshire pudding:

2 cups rice flour
2 cups water or soy milk
4 'eggs'
dash salt

same directions as above.

Tigerlily
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Is a yorkshire pudding suppose to be more on the savoury side? Could I use ground flax for the egg replacer?

Rabbit
Apr 8th, 2005, 04:44 PM
foxytina-

I LOVE yorkshire pudding...which egg replacer exactly did you use to make this?

foxytina_69
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM
tigerlily: yorkshire puddings are eaten with gravy, and usually you would eat them with something like a meat roast and vegetables. its like a replacement for potatoes in a way lol! but theyre like bread and theyre so soft and delicious. heres some info i found about how to use flax as an egg replacer:

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/Vegetarian/Meal.htm

any egg replacer will work as long as it does the same job :)

"As an egg replacer - Flax seed meal is very useful to vegans as a
replacement for eggs in baked goods recipes. You can use a water/flax seed meal mixture instead of an egg in recipes, such as pancakes, muffins and cookies.
One-egg substitute formula:
15 mL (1 Tbsp.) Flax seed meal (ground flax seeds)
45 mL (3 Tbsp.) Water

Instructions:
Mix the flax seed meal and water in a small bowl. Let the mixture sit for two
to three minutes to thicken it, before adding it to the recipe."

rabbit:

i used the Ener-g brand egg replacer. heres a link for them:

http://www.ener-g.com/store/detail.aspx?sn=MilkAndEggSubstitutes&id=97&cat=8

Rabbit
Apr 8th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks foxytina,

Have you ever tried including some vegan margarine to simulate the fat that Yorkshire Pudding is sometimes cooked in?

When I was a child I remember my mum making it in the roasting pan along with the meat juices and fat where the joint of meat had cooked.

Could we add some margarine to the pan, muffin tins used to cook the batter?

Have you ever tried makiing it that way?

foxytina_69
Apr 9th, 2005, 04:30 AM
my sister has, except with oil. both ways are good, i just like it lower fat :D

foxytina_69
Apr 9th, 2005, 04:41 AM
oh, and vegetable broth works well as the replacement for the beef juices.

tails4wagging
Apr 9th, 2005, 05:48 AM
Worth trying Yorkshire pudding with raspberries in as a dessert. Place raspberries in the 'batter' then cook as normal. Sprinkle with sugar and serve, yummy!!!!

foxytina_69
Apr 9th, 2005, 05:56 AM
after eating it with gravy so much, id feel wierd eating it with raspberries! but i suppose its just dough and anything goes!

Flame7
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:36 PM
Try adding some dried sage and onion stuffing mix to the mixture before baking them! They taste absolutely gorgeous!!! My gran used to make non vegan yorkshire puds like this way back when i wasnt vegan and i adored them. It makes all the difference to the taste.

xxFLame7

VeganJohn
May 16th, 2005, 11:08 PM
I have made vegan yorkshire puddings a few times but not for ages. I seem to remember them tasting very similar to 'normal' ones although they didn't rise as well. They resembled ice hockey pucks if my memory serves me correctly :)

I used vegetable fat in the tins melted in a very hot oven before I poured the batter in as recommended somwhere on the net. I think I experimented and found you need to put a little bit more of the mixture into each of the tins than you would with non vegan puddings. One went wrong and spilled over though, resulting in it being a sticky mess.

Have fun

:)

Pob
Aug 2nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
This is one thing I am really missing - I will be trying some of these recipes, until I get something that works. The next challenge will be giant yorkshires, full of veggies in gravy - I never managed to make giant yorkshires with eggs, though - always bought the Aunt Bessie ones. :(

If you do too many puddings (hard, I know, as everyone I know eats them by the bucketload), they are brilliant cold stuffed with icecream and coated in chocolate sauce - like profiteroles.

englishvegoboi
Aug 29th, 2005, 05:31 PM
It is great to hear that vegan yorkshire puddings are possible! I look forward to experimenting in the kitchen!

Monika
Oct 25th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Fellow cool people,

I saw there was recently a thread here containing a lot of great vegan recipes for yorkshire pudding. Now tell me, if I was to make some yorkshire pudding, then what should I eat it WITH?

I've never had yorkshire pudding in my life, so I'm really eager to try it for dinner some day :)

Thanks!
/Monika

abrennan
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:02 PM
mashed potato and peas, pehaps. I think people like having it with gravy or sauce od some type.:D

treehugga
Oct 25th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Yummmmm. Have it with nutroast & lots of roast veg & vegan gravy delice!!