PDA

View Full Version : NI www.newint.org

eve
Apr 11th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Every month the NI mag has a particular theme - this month it is Street Children, last month it was State of Fear, a previous one was In the name of God - the uses and abuses of religion. I don't know what the readership is, numerically, but certainly the readership is comprised of thinking people in several countries.

I've been thinking it would be a good idea to suggest that there be a theme of veganism & animal rights in a future issue, but who'd compile all the articles?

I'd love some suggestions as to how we'd go about it, please :)

Kevster
Apr 13th, 2005, 09:07 PM
Different animal sanctuaries, vegan/veggie groups, it'd be good to hear about what's going on in different countries, i would buy it.

E-mail New Int and find out...

Glen
Apr 13th, 2005, 10:38 PM
I'd be happy to contribute! I love english and writing and have experience lol! An article on teenage veganism. I mean, If it were to happen, a thread with one person in charge to sort out what people want to write about. Just an idea!

eve
Apr 14th, 2005, 08:20 AM
ok, thanks guys, I've just emailed them with the suggested theme, so we'll see what happens. :)

cedarblue
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:00 AM
ive never read NI eve, what is their take on emotive issues/sensitive opinions in relation to the 'slant' of the articles written?

what i mean is, are they an independant mag which allows groups/individuals etc to put their points across unfettered or do they just deal with themes and issues where, it is accepted, that there is a wrong or unethical approach and a right, politically correct approach?

i think its a great idea you had there and im looking forward to hearing about any answer you get - would they run an issue about animal rights, abuse, vegan diet etc, not being afraid it would put folk off reading in future or not being afraid this theme reflects 'the editorial point of view'?

Geoff
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:17 AM
NI is run by a co-op and they certainly don't seem afraid to make waves. They often ask current subscribers to give them the names of people who'd like a free trial so, if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

eve
Apr 15th, 2005, 07:28 AM
NI replied to my email already:
"Thanks for this Eve. We'll certainly consider it at our annual editorial meeting in July.
Warm wishes
Chris Richards"

I had written:
"Hi chris richards
I'm a subscriber to NI, which is a valuable resource. The theme each month is well chosen. Would it be possible to suggest a theme, one of these months, on veganism, animal rights, and the effect on our environment? Thanks"

cedarblue, yes it is a totally independent mag. They say they exist to report on issues of world poverty, inequality, and unjust relationships between the powerful and powerless, they debate and campaign for radical changes necessary within and between those nations if the basic material and spiritual needs of all are to be met plus ideas and action in the fight for global justice. They are published in Australia & PNG, Aotearoa/NZ, Japan, US, Canada, Republic of Ireland, and a London address for Rest of the World.

Geoff
Apr 18th, 2005, 11:50 PM
NI is run by a co-op and they certainly don't seem afraid to make waves. They often ask current subscribers to give them the names of people who'd like a free trial so, if anyone's interested, PM me and I'll see what I can do.

I emailed the UK office of NI regarding trial subsciptions but got an (auto?) response that was totally unhelpful and ambiguous. No answer to my question about trial subs and they said they'll reply if they think my email warrants it.
The Australian office of NI are, in marked contrast, helpful and friendly. Typical Aussies really! :)

ricky
Apr 19th, 2005, 01:37 AM
I emailed the Australian office of newint today to ask about a free sub for a friend. Let's hope they are responsive. :)