PDA

View Full Version : Ice Cream Recipes

Pages : [1] 2 3

mattd
Apr 13th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Does anyone have any really good vegan ice cream recipes? We just got an ice cream machine/freezer. I've found a few recipes that I'm gonna try out, but if anyone has any recommendations that would be awesome. On one website I found an avacado ice cream recipe that I'm going to try to "veganize". I think this may turn into my new summer hobby.

DianeVegan
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:30 PM
If you search online you will find many soy-based recipes. If you want a really good book using raw cashews as the base, try Vice Cream by Jeff Rogers. I usually replace the maple syrup with simple sugar syrup and I run the mix through a fine mesh strainer for a smoother texture. I think the results are far superior to soy-based recipes.

pixeequeen
Jun 26th, 2005, 11:34 PM
MAKING YOUR OWN ICECREAM!! seems such a simple idea now *droooooooooolll*

Irisflame
Dec 10th, 2005, 11:36 PM
I was at a bookstore today, thumbing through "Garden of Vegan", and found a very nifty looking chocolate ice cream recipe. Well, I didn't buy the book for the moment, but I was wondering if anyone here has a tried and true vegan ice cream recipe that they could share with me, chocolate or vanilla, preferably. My son's first birthday is this coming week and hubby reminded me about ICE CREAM *doh* :eek: how could I, the great lover of ice cream, forget such a critical element of one's birthday celebration :eek: !

TIA!

Blessed Be!
H

DianeVegan
Dec 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Irisflame,
We are big ice cream eaters in this house so I've tried many different recipes. Our favorite comes from a restaurant nearby. They never gave me a recipe, just the main ingredients so the following recipe is flexible.

Ice Cream Base
2 cups of coconut milk (not light)
1 cup of soy milk (or nut milk)
Sweetener of your choice (dry is better)
Vanilla bean seeds or extract

Blend the above and adjust sweetness to taste (remember that it will taste less sweet when frozen). For chocolate, add cocoa powder to taste. You may also want to add chocolate chips. The best way to chop them is to freeze them and then chop in a food processor. Or thinly slice and chop a chocolate bar. Freeze according to ice cream maker instructions.

Variations: Strawberry (use almond extract and ripe strawberries for best taste), Mint Chocolate Chip (use peppermint or spearmint extract and add chips after blending).

Sometimes I add lecithin granules (supposed to give it a richer taste) but it's not really necessary. You won't taste the coconut. A higher ratio of coconut milk gives it a richer taste and texture. A lower ratio allows more ice crystals to form so you lose texture. I have found that a 2:1 coconut milk to soy milk works best (so you could just use 1 can of coconut milk and 1/2 can of soy milk).

Enjoy!:)

catmogg
Dec 11th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Yum to the above.... If you want to cheat though, Sweedish glace is delicious and i have taken to adding my own chunks to the caramel one. I chop walnuts, chocolate up and kind of mash them in a bit, then i swirl in a toffee sauce from tesco, which is definately vegan and add spray 'cream' from vegan store. Ohh lummy. Its gooooooorgeous!! I keep wanting to make brownie chunks and add those to the mixture too....perhaps i'll go do that right now.............:) :) :)

Cherry
Dec 11th, 2005, 03:53 PM
You can make great ice cream by putting a large ripe banana, a box of soft tofu and 100g of melted vegan chocolate in a blender. (Then an ice cream maker :) )

The coconut one I'm definitely going to try. Thanks Diane.

I love Swedish glace too :)

Irisflame
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Thank you both for the wonderful suggestions!

Diane, that recipe sounds delightful!!! I definately want to try it out! Unfortunately, my mother is allergice to coconut so I will have to come up with something else for the party. I do look forward to making that recipe, tho!!!!!! YUM!

Blessed Be!
H

Irisflame
Dec 11th, 2005, 04:32 PM
That sounds great, too, Cherry!

Blessed Be!
H

DianeVegan
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Irisflame,

Sorry about the coconut allergy. My only other suggestion (because I really don't like soy ice creams) is adapted from the book "Vice Cream" by Jeff Rogers. He uses raw cashews as a base.

Ice Cream Base
2 cups raw cashews
2 cups water
3/4 to 1 cup sweetener (wet or dry)
2 vanilla beans or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or more)

First, grind the cashews very finely in a blender or food processor, then add water. I then strain this through a fine mesh strainer but it isn't necessary if you grind finely enough - I have found this difficult to do. Blend together sweetener and flavoring with cashew cream and put in ice cream maker.

For chocolate, use 1/2 to 2/3 cup cocoa powder and a little almond extract if desired.

Always test the taste before freezing. You may add more or less sweetener or flavorings. You can also add lecithin granules to the blender for a more rich taste and texture (about 1/4 cup).

Have fun!:)

indianvegan
Dec 12th, 2005, 05:35 PM
Well, one can also use Corn Flour(for good texture) and Banana while making Vegan Ice cream.It is delicious.

Manish Jain

Irisflame
Dec 12th, 2005, 11:54 PM
Thanks again!!;)

Blessed Be!
H

Irisflame
Dec 20th, 2005, 03:24 AM
Diane~

I just wanted to let you know that I tried the coconut milk based ice cream today with a friend of mine and it was AWESOME!!!!! :D We were so thrilled! Even our babies liked it LOL. We made it so that you could still taste the coconut, and it was so yummy! Thank you for sharing; it is definately a keeper!

Blessed Be and Happy Holidays!
H

edupen
Dec 20th, 2005, 05:07 AM
hmm...i think im gonna like this forum, i havent tried any of that ice cream..sounds yummy..oh by the way maybe u could try the link of recipes that tigerlily posted on the other thread..

indianvegan
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:26 AM
How is about adding Coco Powder in any base? Coco Powder is Vegan.

Manish

Cherry
Dec 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
How is about adding Coco Powder in any base? Coco Powder is Vegan.

Hi Manish
Yeh but it's not as good as melted chocolate : ) I prefer the texture of the ice cream with real chocolate.

VeganJohn
Dec 21st, 2005, 09:16 PM
I will certainly try some of these recipes, they sound great and not too complicated!!

I am puzzled by the 'dry sweetener' ingredient that is included in a few recipes - what would be suitable to use?

Cherry, your recipe sounds fairly simple, I'll try it first!

Swedish Glace with chopped bananas and maple syrup - one of my favourite desserts!

DianeVegan
Dec 23rd, 2005, 05:37 PM
By dry sweetener I mean cane sugar, date sugar, fructose, raw sugar, sucanat, etc. Just as for liquid sweeteners you can exchange simple syrup, agave nectar, maple syrup or brown rice syrup for each other (depends on your preference).

pat sommer
Feb 28th, 2006, 10:14 AM
Anyone tried making their own icecream? After weighing up a pint of expensive frozen-dessert and finding MOSTLY AIR, I figured I could do better quality for the money. Got a home unit (requires freezer space) and it paid for itself after 8 batches. Strawberry maple sorbet anyone? Avocado vanilla, chocalate truffle?

May 4th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Re: grinding the cashews, and THEN adding liquid; try doing this the other way around. i usually soak raw cashews in scalding water and let them soak for an hour, half hour at least (note: i have soaked them in coffee, maybe tea would work as well). i am not raw, but use the raw cashew pieces (not whole cahews) as the roasted ones have a tougher outer layer. for raw, try room temp water for up to four hours. then blend, with sugar of choice, reducing by 25% if going the agave route. i also add two tablespoons cocnut oil and extract (of choice, usually vanilla). if you have a professional blender, you might want to try experimenting by using macadamias for half of the nuts. almonds leave much sediment, and filbers/hazelnuts do not grind down completley, but become too fine to strain (even through cheesecloth). churn and enjoy!

twinkle
May 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
Resurrecting this thread as I hope to add to it shortly. I just got a self-freezing ice-cream maker from M&S for £77ish quid (which I thought was an absolute bargain as I've never seen an ice cream maker that you don't have to freeze some part of for half a day for under about £200 before!).

So far I've made three lots, the best one so far was last nights, where I started off making a very thick cocoa from about 4 tablespoons cocoa powder and about equal amounts sugar and soya milk, heating that up to smooth it all together, then whisking in more soya milk and 2 125g pots of vanilla dessert to thicken it, to a total mixture of just over 1 pint. Having read Bryanna Clark Grogan's gelati recipes in Nonna's Italian Kitchen she recommends alcohol to keep the ice-cream from hardening too much, so I added in 1 dessertspoon of ginger wine and 2 of whisky, which added just a subtle complex flavour to the finished ice cream.

We had it like a soft serve and I freezed the leftovers and had them for breakfast! :D It set relatively hard in the freezer but was still easy enough to eat with a spoon straight from the freezer. I think I would maybe add in a bit of oil if I made it again, apart from that I was pretty pleased with this, especially for a made up, spur of the moment recipe.

Looking forward to making stuff with the summer fruit to come, especially since I'm planning on having home-grown strawberries this year :)

Linxie
May 5th, 2009, 03:04 PM
I bought myself an ice cream maker for my birthday :D I also have the vice cream book but would be grateful for any simple recipes anyone has tried. Has anyone tried using the new alpro cream in ice cream?

vava
May 5th, 2009, 07:11 PM
http://www.everydaydish.tv/index.php?page=recipe&recipe=99

Bryanna Clarke Grogan is marvellous - this recipe is sweet but fabulous - I have added 1 tsp of vanilla and 2 bananas and it is droolsome - so is the vanilla and so simple. Lots of water and it seems as if it would be naff - BUT - it is really good. :thumbsup:

twinkle
May 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
... Has anyone tried using the new alpro cream in ice cream?

Not yet, but I have one in the fridge that needs using soon, so I'll try to come up with something good for that.

I made a really good rhubarb sorbet from rhubarb stewed with a cup of tropical fruit juice and quite a bit of sugar then blitzed with a hand blender. I'm afraid I didn't keep note of quantities but I'll definitely be making it again, and will take notes next time! In fact, I feel a blog coming on... :D

At the moment there's a pineapple, banana, lime and rum ice-cream on the go!

Marrers
May 6th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Nice to see you twinkle! A blog would be fab. I've got an ice cream maker but the type where you have to freeze the bowl and the only recipes I've used require some of the ingredients if you want it to be successful - which involves forward planning so it hardly ever happens! However I'm hosting the regular Sunday lunch with my mates next month so I should make some ice cream for that, so thanks for putting the idea in my head.

I bought the vice cream book when it first came out but (like my many other cook books :o) I've not made anything from it.