PDA

View Full Version : raising children vegan

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Veganmama
Aug 17th, 2004, 05:45 AM
i give my toddlers, flaxseed oil on their muesil every morning and we also use an omega3 margerine alternative. it has no hyd- oils in it

Fruitbat
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Bringin up vegan children must be very hard - for the parents and the children. Hard for the parents who are concerned for the health of their child and often because parents who are vegan are aware of brain-washing in omnivorous families and dont want to do a vegan brain-wash on their own so they want to educate their children so that the children choose veganism instead of having it imposed on them whicih may lead to rebellion.

Hard for the children because they are different an will often be unable to participate in food activies with other children. It''s hard to be able to provide appropriate food to the children in all situations...

I think if I had sufficient knowledge and support and assurance I would bring up my children vegan at home and try to teach them right but if they wanted to try non-vegan items at a Bday party then I would be OK with that once they reached a ig enough age to be able to make the true decision on their own.

I worry very much about how I owuld bring up vegan children healthily an even more so how I would manage pregnancy and being vegan and continuing appropriate exercise. I worry that I would not have a doctor who would support me and hep me instead of telling me I was wrong and putting my baby at risk.

Still first thing to do would be to get a bf!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Aug 17th, 2004, 08:59 PM
I think if I had sufficient knowledge and support and assurance I would bring up my children vegan at home and try to teach them right but if they wanted to try non-vegan items at a Bday party then I would be OK with that once they reached a ig enough age to be able to make the true decision on their own.

If you would not allow them to eat what they wanted at birthday parties when they were toddlers, don't you think they would eat a lot of birthday cake later in life when they finally could make their own decisions?

Wanda
Aug 17th, 2004, 09:44 PM
If you would not allow them to eat what they wanted at birthday parties when they were toddlers, don't you think they would eat a lot of birthday cake later in life when they finally could make their own decisions?
It all depends on how you go about it of course.

Veganmama
Aug 18th, 2004, 03:27 AM
well we are out and about alot, playgroups, parties creche. and i've tried very hard to handle this situation so firstly my girls don't feel like freaks. I don't mind if they feel a bit different as that's ok but i don't want them to think it's a big deal. So say it's a birthday party, i make a big beautiful Vegan birthday cake also so the girls can have cake to and i make a fruti platter as they will always eat fruit. i just say to them that has cows milk in it and we don't eat cows milk, who drinks cows milk i ask them. Baby cows they say

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM
Good work, Vegan Mama! I do the same thing...we always send snacks to share for sleepovers and make treats for the Birthday Parties and such...it makes such a difference to plan ahead!

We had a great experience recently with a birthday party-it was a first of many more, I hope! The parents bought vegan pizza fixins just for my daughter! They all made homemade pizza and everyone had the opportunity to eat vegan too! They had non vegan options too, but it sure was nice of them to go through the effort...it made my daughter feel like she fit in as far as eating was concerned...

Wanda
Aug 18th, 2004, 05:39 AM
We had a great experience recently with a birthday party-it was a first of many more, I hope! The parents bought vegan pizza fixins just for my daughter!
That is so great! I love people that are considerate like that!

We also keep busy baking, buying, decorating, bringing vegan treats to our kids events. It's nice to know that we are not alone in this!

Shakeabop
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:04 AM
Hi there-

I am not a vegan- however my sister is a vegetarian and my brother and his wife are vegans. I commend them for their lifestyle choices.

I have done a lot of reading and understand that a vegan lifestyle is not an unsafe lifestyle for a child and that they can receive all of the dietary requirements as vegans. I do not question their choices-

But this brings me to my question-

My brother and his wife have a 5 year old daughter- she is being raised vegan also. She is beautiful and smart but often sick. I have 5 children and have probably seen it all! My neice just seems sick far more than she should be. I don't want to offend them by suggesting that there may be something in her diet that she is lacking, because they can get defensive about their lifestyle, but I do know that certain combinations of foods make up complete protiens and such and that being vegan takes some planning to get adequate amounts of some essentials such as b-12 and calcium. (or at least that is my understanding)

I am just concerned. The latest is that she is now vomiting at least one time per day and it does not seem that she is sick with a virus. She is losing weight. They are taking her to the Dr thank goodness, but the Dr has seen her so many times and I don't believe she has even run bloodwork on her.

I have suggested that possibly she has an allergy to a food she is eating, or that she may be anemic, but they are not hearing me. When I do, I am seen as attacking their lifestyle.

Are there any suggestions on how I may broach this -

I appreciate any suggestions- Thanks

cast_the_flames
Aug 31st, 2004, 05:46 AM
i'm definately not a nutrition or health expert, but the fact that she's throwing up so much makes me think it might be something other than a deficiency. does she take any vitamins? while it is very possible that she isn't getting enough of certain nutrients, i'm not sure that vomiting points to that. i hope that she is okay, and i'm glad that they are taking her to a doctor.

Korn
Aug 31st, 2004, 06:37 AM
Hi, there are several books on raising children as vegans or vegetarians (try amazon.com!). I've seen some of them and there is no connection between eating healthy, plant based food and vomiting as such. But read on...
It's fully possible to eat veg'n food and still eat unhealthy food: refined flour, sugar, artificial sweeteners, too much fat, too little frsh food etc. If my kids would be often sick, and changes in diet didn't seem toi help, I'd talk with someone who have knowledge about a veg'n life style and alternative treatment methods, possibly combined with knowledge of traditional medicine. There are also many elements that influence our physical condition (in addition to diet), and general advice is almost impossible. If a child has been vomiting daily for more than a few days, it could be very serious.

Kids often pick up virus and bacteria from other children at school or in kindergarten, and get sick for a few days now and then. My experience, and a lot of research, shows that you are more likely to get sick on a standard diet than on a healty, plant based diet. An unhealthy, plant based (or meat based) diet isn't a good choice for anyone.

B12 needs special attention (see our Health subforum), and of course there is a risk that any veg'n person (or other person) could get problems due to a diet that's not varied or out of balance. If someone is often sick, child or not, I'd seek personal/professional guidance. My experience (I'm a father myself) is that veg'n kids (and adults) are more healthy than people who consume animal products (check this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376) page), and I would be a lot more worried if you told me about a meat eating kid that would be often sick or (currently) vomit daily. But of course, veg'ns can get sick too.

eve
Aug 31st, 2004, 12:50 PM
I've often seen comments on a veggie or vegan forum, where a well-meaning relative seeks advice regarding a vegan niece or nephew who is sick. Guess I'm just a cynic, but if the brother and wife are vegans, surely they know how to get info on raising vegan children? Can you suggest, shakeabop, that they are more than welcome to look in on this forum?

Artichoke47
Aug 31st, 2004, 02:42 PM
I'm a vegan and rarely sick. Certain family members are always sick. Is it because they're omnivores? Possibly, but I try not to jump to conclusions. Like someone said, vomiting doesn't sound like it would be related to an animal-product-free diet.

Not only is a vegan diet "not unhealthy," it is, in my opinion, the healthiest and most natural way to live. If the child were on an omnivorous diet, imagine the consequences: high cholesterol; increased risk of stroke, heart disease, and cancer; obesity; calcium deficiency (yeah, you read that right); vitamin deficiency; food poisoning; BSE; et cetera.

Thank God these parents are taking care of their child and protecting it from diseases such as those above. I wish all parents were vegan with vegan children; the world would be a healthier, happier place.

P.S. Thank you for writing a polite, uncondescending post. :)

Shakeabop
Aug 31st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Thank you- I appreciate your suggestions. I just want to state that any child that is sick often I would be concerned about and would question his/her diet regardless of whether they are vegans. Certainly any child who eats meat is at risk for illness and inappropriate nutrition-and probably more so based on the reading I have done. I am not jumping to conclusions that it is diet, but it is just one of the factors I wanted to know more about as I have no practical experience as a vegan.

cowpie
Sep 17th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Ravelston, there's a great book entitled "Becoming Vegan" by Davis and Melina. It has a wealth of information in it for all ages. Vegan children can be even healthier than nonvegan children.
Welcome to the vegan lifestyle!

Left of Centre
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:31 PM
i do get bored of preparing almost the same basic packed lunch every day!
she doesnt like hummous or tahini, nor tomatoes, peppers. we have tried school dinners but it seems again the only veggie alternative is cheese salad :( sensible suggestions gratefully accepted

My 2 (aged almost 10, and 11.5) have been vegan (mostly!) since birth, and they too take packed lunches to school every day. They don't like to vary much but you might get some ideas from the sandwiches they have -
Marmite and (vegan) cheese.
Marmite on it's own.
Cheese (with a packet of crisps as a treat - grated cheese and crisp sandwiches are lovely)
Cheatin' ham with tofutti cheese spread
Tofutti cheese spread with marmite (great on crackers)
Cheatin' turkey,chicken or beef (with brown sauce - gross but they love it)
Different types of pate
'Jelly' and peanut butter (whoops sorry, I see she can't have that) They discovered this on holiday in the states and love it now.
Pitta pocket with salad (grated carrot, cheese, raw mushroom, shredded lettuce, cucumber, cold, sliced up boiled potatoes, etc)
Cold veggie sausages or sos rolls
cold pasty or pie
Ocaasional samosas or spring rolls
Carrot sticks

They always take a vegan yoghurt, fresh fruit, mini box of raisins or a fruit muesli bar type thing, fruit drink or squash and 'something nice' for after, as well as a botle of water (which all pupils are allowed to have on their desks all the time)

I say they've been 'mostly vegan' because they have had dairy ice cream, pizza and chocolate on occasion. Mainly because I really didn't want them to become alienated when going to friends parties and such, but now they are older, they undertsand more, and actually don't want to eat the non vegan stuff :) So even as just 90% vegans, they're in better health than their peers, have always been above average weight and height, and get this - have never had a day off school sick. Impressive huh? Sorry, showing off now, I'll shut up and go away :D

neoveg
Sep 25th, 2004, 04:38 PM
There's a wide variety of things you could do. PB&J's, apple's w/choc syrup and peanut butter dip, celery and peanut butter, hoagies (seitan strips w/tomato sauce and vegan cheese .. pick up a copy of the Uncheese Book), Tofurkey (doesn't use Iso proteins) subs, rubens, chili w/lentils, pasta dishes, tofu salad, pizza, pasta salad w/tofu ...

cedarblue
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:33 PM
My 2 (aged almost 10, and 11.5) have been vegan (mostly!) since birth, and they too take packed lunches to school every day. They don't like to vary much but you might get some ideas from the sandwiches they have -
Marmite and (vegan) cheese.
Marmite on it's own.
Cheese (with a packet of crisps as a treat - grated cheese and crisp sandwiches are lovely)
Cheatin' ham with tofutti cheese spread
Tofutti cheese spread with marmite (great on crackers)
Cheatin' turkey,chicken or beef (with brown sauce - gross but they love it)
Different types of pate
'Jelly' and peanut butter (whoops sorry, I see she can't have that) They discovered this on holiday in the states and love it now.
Pitta pocket with salad (grated carrot, cheese, raw mushroom, shredded lettuce, cucumber, cold, sliced up boiled potatoes, etc)
Cold veggie sausages or sos rolls
cold pasty or pie
Ocaasional samosas or spring rolls
Carrot sticks

They always take a vegan yoghurt, fresh fruit, mini box of raisins or a fruit muesli bar type thing, fruit drink or squash and 'something nice' for after, as well as a botle of water (which all pupils are allowed to have on their desks all the time)

I say they've been 'mostly vegan' because they have had dairy ice cream, pizza and chocolate on occasion. Mainly because I really didn't want them to become alienated when going to friends parties and such, but now they are older, they undertsand more, and actually don't want to eat the non vegan stuff :) So even as just 90% vegans, they're in better health than their peers, have always been above average weight and height, and get this - have never had a day off school sick. Impressive huh? Sorry, showing off now, I'll shut up and go away :D

ho hum, all good suggestions....but
she doesnt really like to eat bread, "its boring"!
i might try the spring rolls, but i will get "they were cold!"

now i rotate this kind of thing
mild cheese in crackers
strong cheese grated in sandwich
mixed salad pot of cubed feta, cue, carrots, olives
grated cheese in pitta pockets
veggie ham with a separate buttered bagel

i also add some fruit, raw carrot or celery sticks, juice and a treat of either a choc snack (twix, kitkat, jaffa cakes) or packet of crisps. i dont mind these little treats, as i know she eats a proper dinner at night and has a good diet at home.

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 26th, 2004, 05:38 PM
ho hum, all good suggestions....but
she doesnt really like to eat bread, "its boring"!
i might try the spring rolls, but i will get "they were cold!"

now i rotate this kind of thing
mild cheese in crackers
strong cheese grated in sandwich
mixed salad pot of cubed feta, cue, carrots, olives
grated cheese in pitta pockets
veggie ham with a separate buttered bagel

i also add some fruit, raw carrot or celery sticks, juice and a treat of either a choc snack (twix, kitkat, jaffa cakes) or packet of crisps. i dont mind these little treats, as i know she eats a proper dinner at night and has a good diet at home.

Oh my! SOOOO much cheese! IS she constipated? I would definetly give her a calcium supplement, as the phosphorus balance in dairy is all off and consuming these products make it nearly impossible to utilize the calcium in the "food" that she's eating. :( What about an avocado spread or nut butter spread instead of the cheese? Can you get a vegan substitute for the butter? Can you get Earth Balance or VEgan Gourmet Cheese there? What about a thermos with pasta and soy parmesean and Earth Balance? (It will stay hot)

cedarblue
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Oh my! SOOOO much cheese! IS she constipated? I would definetly give her a calcium supplement, as the phosphorus balance in dairy is all off and consuming these products make it nearly impossible to utilize the calcium in the "food" that she's eating. :( What about an avocado spread or nut butter spread instead of the cheese? Can you get a vegan substitute for the butter? Can you get Earth Balance or VEgan Gourmet Cheese there? What about a thermos with pasta and soy parmesean and Earth Balance? (It will stay hot)

no she is not constipated
she will not eat avocado anything, it will also go brown before she gets to eat it
no nut butters, she is allergic to nuts

she cant be that unusual among kids in wanting a narrow choice in their lunch boxes, she eats no other dairy products ie has soy milk on cereal, doesnt do yogs, no milk, when i say butter i mean dairy free spread ( its all we have).

she eats an excellent diet at home and i refuse to stress about her lunchbox, it is a small part of her daily intake and she balances it up well the rest of the day/week
not all kids eat perfect diets, far from it. in contract to some i feel she makes fairly sensible choices for herself.

if she had been brought up stricktly veggie or vegan then things may be different but thats the way it is right now, with her being allowed to exercise a certain amount of choice in her eating.

:o

ConsciousCuisine
Sep 26th, 2004, 06:42 PM
no she is not constipated
she will not eat avocado anything, it will also go brown before she gets to eat it
no nut butters, she is allergic to nuts

:o

Sunflower seed butter and tahini mixed with maple syrup are great for those who don't eat nuts. Avocado doesn't brown when you mix lemon juice with it. Here's my daughter's favorite spread which she takes to school weekly and her friends beg her to share:

1 avocado
2 T. Nutritional Yeast
1 T. Tahini
1/2 tsp.Umeboshi Vinegar
1 tsp. Miso
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 T. Sesame Seeds
Garlic and Onion Powder to taste (we like 1/2 a tsp. of each)

Smash it all up and make sure it is really smooth. This is soooo yummy! It will not brown! :)

wuggy
Sep 26th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I'm so glad to hear your child eats so well, you've obviously done a great job, but some of us have a hard time getting our children to eat what we want them to eat 100% of the time. It really doesn't make us bad parents, though!
I know you're well trained in health matters, but most of us are just as concerned (on this forum), about the health of our families, and I know I wouldn't like to be judged by others on my parenting skills.

Wanda
Sep 26th, 2004, 07:43 PM
1 avocado
2 T. Nutritional Yeast
1 T. Tahini
1/2 tsp.Umeboshi Vinegar
1 tsp. Miso
1/2 lemon, juiced
2 T. Sesame Seeds
Garlic and Onion Powder to taste (we like 1/2 a tsp. of each)
I'm going to try this recipe!
I have all the ingredients besides the avocado. :(

eve
Sep 27th, 2004, 08:05 AM
CC, you say to wuggy "Where did this come from? Not from me or my posts, so I ask you to honestly look within and see if this might be a projection of your own concerns"

Rather judgmental don't you think?

uww27225
Sep 28th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Good idea gert! :)
So cedarblue, since she doesn't like bread maybe you could do wraps? Does she like tortillas? You could even do lettuce wraps. Send some big lettuce leaves with her and then a mix of whatever filling (fresh veggies, stir-fry, leftover chinese, really anything). Then she can build her own lettuce wraps at lunch.

foxytina_69
Sep 29th, 2004, 12:45 AM
this is a bit random, but i was recently reading a book on how to raise children given to u by the healthcare system for free, and one section was on how to raise children vegan. i was very excited! it seems like such a big step forward for the healthcare society to recognize people wanting to raise their children vegan, and it gives you tips on how to keep them healthy whilst doing so.