PDA

View Full Version : Why weren't you vegan before you became vegan?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

ElaineVigneault
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:11 AM
I went vegetarian at age 6. I went vegan at 13. But then I went back to vegetarian at 14, mostly because of convenience and I was tired to being/feeling bullied. I stayed vegetarian (ethical veg - no leather, etc) for a while, but lost more and more confidence in myself and the rightness of my beliefs. I felt like it was losing battle and people would never be kind to animals. I even bought a few leather belts during that period, reasoning that they were like "trace ingredients." Finally, I found an awesome partner who helped me regain my confidence and passion. He was vegetarian when we met. We went vegan together.

cherob
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:15 PM
I think one of the main obstacles for people is lack of knowledge and secondly, avoidance of knowledge. I know for myself I ate organic meat for a long time, thinking this was ok. I sometimes feel like a poster child for veganism because I encounter so much ignorance and mis-information. Most people I find don't ask me about it because, I presume, they don't want to know. IEventually I decided I didn't want to live in ignorance any more and informed myself, which made the decision a total no-brainer. How can you go back to eating meat and dairy after you know the truth? I do feel most people know about vegetarianism, but have little knowledge of veganism- that's where I come in :rolleyes:. Until people realise the damage to their health and the environment from consuming animal products, as well as the ethical cost to animals, and begin to ask questions, I feel it will be a long haul for real change.

pat sommer
Sep 18th, 2008, 09:32 AM
...common thread I see woven here, bravery.
Brave enough to stand up to ridicule. That's why I can forgive the omnis; it's hard to stand up and stand out from the crowd.

wildcatstrike
Sep 18th, 2008, 02:52 PM
i'd agree with that ^.

my older brother sometimes makes humourous comments about me being vegan but to be honest, i just don't think he'd have the balls to go out for a curry with his mates and ask for a vegan meal. or go round to a mate's house for a beer and say "no thanks, that beer's not vegan".

peer pressure ruins alot of things.

Rakey
Sep 18th, 2008, 07:43 PM
People think ignorance is bliss. They don't want to know how the animal died, and what conditions it lived in.

And they genuinely believe you need milk because of the calcuim (bs)

They don't realise just how bad an animal based diet is on your health, and think that cancer, heart disease, diabetes, etc

Animal products are in literally everything. You have to go to a lot of effort to avoid all of them!

veganprin
Sep 18th, 2008, 09:31 PM
I became veggie when I was 10 years' old after asking my mum where the meat I was eating came from - she told me, I stop eating it that day!
I'd never even heard of vegans at that time; I didn't meet another veggie for years!
Been vegan now for 21 years' and it's just who I am :)

Jippia
Jan 28th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I believed the old familiar lies: too difficult, too extreme, nothing left to eat. And about not becoming a vegetarian sooner than age 22: it just did not occur to me, even though I knew some vegetarians, to become one myself.

1gentlemaorispirit
Jan 28th, 2009, 03:55 PM
some ppl jus think that animals are inferior and were "put" here for them...

My Maori Grandmother taught me to "ask" for permission before I picked a a flower, plant or fruit. She would say a prayer if permission was given as she picked them. She also said that before any animals were to be eaten as food, their permission was to be asked for also. I asked why as like myself she and the majority of her family didn't eat animal products. She said that all living things have a soul and feelings and we have no right to just take a life.

I have come across this in Aborginal, Native American and to some extent Jewish cultures.

With my inherited allergies to all animal products and my utter distaste for the taste and texture of them, not to mention I adore animals and helped my family care for the rescued animals we had and were frquently given. In a way I've been born into veganism. My paternal Grandparents were big meat eaters and my brother and I were forced to eat animal products or suffer being smacked and shouted at for "wasting perfectly good food". They also believed that our alergies were "something our Maori family made up because they are savages, masquerading as pure tribal people".

My paternal Grandparents used my Dads veganism against us, saying he was weak of mind and spirit by following the "hippy" culture, and that as a Doctor he should set a "better example" to his children and patients. Still my brother and I took the punishments for not eating animal products, to avoid allergic reactions and not wanting to eat them.

Our maternal Grandparents would have heated discussions with them on this, but what our paternal Grandparents feed us when we stayed with them could hardly be policed.

jackie
Jan 31st, 2009, 01:46 AM
You have OCD? So do I!! But fortunately being vegan did not change my OCD or make it more annoying. Hmm...maybe you could try again? :p

me too!

but i find that being vegan helps. apparently OCD is down to a lack of seritonin in the brain...you mainly get this from brazil nuts...i eat loads of nuts lately and am slowly getting better.....:)

jackie
Jan 31st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Yes, I've always felt that way about names - they're misleading!!
If 'milk' was called 'Bovine Breast Milk', for example, it might put people off a bit, or if 'Eggs' were called 'Chicken's Menstrual Waste Matter Ovoids' or some such, the truth might out!! :D

Nice post :D

jackie
Jan 31st, 2009, 01:51 AM
3, A vegan diet is for the middle class - only. It's too expensive for
students and the working class
I find it cheaper! a trolley full of fruit and veg i can make so many meals from!!

4, Vegansism is an extreme type of vegetarianism. It's an idealististic
and utopian diet no one is able to follow for a long period of time
without facing serious health problems.
I've never felt so healthy!

5, I was a vegetarian for a few years... I didn't feel good... and my
doctor told me to start eating fish.
I've heard doctors recommend a vegan diet for cancer patients(?)

Ppl just make excuses because it's difficult to go against the majority unless you have willpower and determination!

Nice Post kriz

songlife
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
I was a "natural omnivore" -bwahaha!

There are so many things that are messed up about that statement, I don't even know where to start.

Basically I was not vegan because I was compassionate but undereducated.

songlife
Feb 3rd, 2009, 08:29 AM
I've heard doctors recommend a vegan diet for cancer patients(?)

A good friend of mine just beat some very lethal hereditary cancer with a special raw vegan diet. He found out that chemo was doing him more harm than good.

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Basically I was not vegan because I was compassionate but undereducated.

Yup. Same here.

DiaShel
Feb 4th, 2009, 12:43 AM
I was educated but undercompassionate

Quantum Mechanic
Feb 4th, 2009, 06:17 AM

Actually, come to think of it I think I was a little of both (under educated, undercompassionate, but also did have a certain degree of compassion and education about the matter). The main thing was was completely uneducated about was nutrition, which changed recently which is how I got to be vegan. And I never knew much of anything about what went on in factory farms or anything, I just figured it was wrong, though I didn't know the details (and to this day haven't watched graphic real movies of it and still won't). The nutrition myths held me back though (I thought you really needed faux meats and expensive specialty products to get adequate protein, and this is just talking about lacto-ovo veg, before I knew the word vegan, though I was vaguely aware that some people abstained from dairy and eggs and distanced myself from that and reassured my parents I wouldn't do anything that "extreme").

Chrilynhawk
Feb 5th, 2009, 09:41 PM

Sadly this is me as well. I was actually a vegetarian and then a vegan during my teens, but at that time I still didn't quite feel compassion, I did it because I thought it was right but I didn't have much empathy for the animals. When I stopped being veg during my pregnancies and just around that whole time I was very well educated on animal suffering, I just couldn't connect with it.
I'm not exactly sure what kicked my butt into gear, but something did and now I feel extreme compassion and empathy and I'm so thankful I can - even if it did take too long!

Zelah
Feb 8th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I thought about it but didn't know much about veganism

Rose Jail
Feb 8th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I was raised omni and, sadly, taught that "God put animals on this earth for us to use" by my mother, so I never really questioned whether or not it was right to eat meat.

In my mid-teens, meat completely lost its appeal to me, so I stopped eating it, thereby becoming vegetarian. I thought about veganism every now and again, but my mother was so against it that I was reluctant to even try. After finding out the true horrors of the dairy and egg industries, I just couldn't justify eating these products and figured the conflict it would cause within my family was nothing compared to the suffering the animals have to endure. So I became vegan.

saidsirius
May 3rd, 2009, 01:06 AM
I have found, rather unfortunately, that most people just don't care. I went vegetarian and later vegan because I just coudn't justify killing or exploiting another living being for my survival when I can be perfectly well sustained on an all plant diet. But most people, especially in the U.S. just don't think it's important to consider animal welfare. The mentality that I've come across the most is that "man was made to eat animals, that's why they're here." It's a very cultural thing, and definitely a machismo thing. I don't think I've met a single male vegan. Most guys in my neck of the woods are just plain meat eaters and they wouldn't be so manly if they didn't eat meat.

It's sad to think that although most people understand where their meat and other animal products come from, most just don't care. It bothers me so much that I live in such an apathetic society to where people know the injustices that go on in the world but don't bother to do anything about it. They just assume that "that's the way it is... and besides, meat tastes good!"

That's what makes me proud of myself and everybody on this forum for standing up for their beliefs and actively making a difference in the world- no matter how small that difference may be.

Home
May 3rd, 2009, 07:13 AM
I was first an omnivore, then became vegetarian, and now vegan. Perhaps my next step will be raw vegan, then fruitarian. Though for me it is not a purity contest. I struggle with vanity and have since decided to keep certain things secret so it is not for anybody else but for myself and God (though I did decide to join this forum... ^^;). I feel by going 100% raw or fruitarian- deep down it might be rooted for me in an atempt to become superior to the other humans; "the glutonous flesh eating slobs. I am far over their heads, as usual!" (... Like I said, I am working on this vanity problem...^_^;;).

As for before my eye had been opened: I always liked animals as a child. I ate meat because that is what I was fed, though I don't blame my mother, she is a wonderful person as is my father. I was raised spiritual but didn't truly understand util fairly recently. My reasons for going vegetarian were for spirit and health. I also thought I would be doing the right thing for the animals. It wasn't long after did I feel it wasn't enough. Allowing myself to eat fatening butter, heavy creams, french fries, cholesterol caked eggs, and fatty milk gradually disgusted me. Right now I am comfortable where I am at, diet wise. Fasting and meditation are my recent endeavors and have occupied much of my thinking.

talknerdytome
May 3rd, 2009, 01:56 PM
I was vegetarian for about 10 years, and just didn't think there was anything wrong with dairy and egg production. I knew caged hens were treated badly, and always bought free range, but I had no idea about the dairy industry. It took me about a year to fully make the switch, partly because of lack of support from friends and family, and also because I was doing it for the wrong reasons (weight loss, etc) when I finally did make the switch, I researched into dairy cows, and felt so sickened that I refused to eat it again.

Sarabi
May 3rd, 2009, 08:08 PM
I hadn't ever really given it a thought. I didn't much connect with animals, although I somehow disapproved of hunting. I was completely speciesist and thought only weird "animal lovers" would ever go veg. Then I went vegetarian, but I thought, "I could never given up milk and eggs." A week later I saw the factory farm videos and went vegan, so ignorance was probably the main thing. I feel like I was destined for veganism.

baby_vicuņa
May 7th, 2009, 06:34 AM
^ Yeah that's kind of similar with me. I was an "animal person" as a little kid but I grew out of that. I disconnected myself with nature and all it's beauties. I was ignorant to animal suffering and exploitation, and to be honest, I just plain didn't care. I made fun of "crazy tree-hugging vegans". Hehe, then I became one...

Laura(Go vegan)
May 14th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I wasn't a vegan for 25 years of my life. I was raised in a meat-eating household and was totally unaware of how animals were raised and killed for food. I really didn't even think about it. It wasn't until I read the book Skinny Bitch and then started doing heavy research that I found out how factory farms and slaughterhouses are. Now, I consider myself on the abolitionist side... if anyone hasn't checked out the website www.abolitionistapproach.com I would highly recommend it.

I try not to judge or hate on meat-eaters or "loose" vegetarians (those who eats fish, dairy, and eggs) but I know how frustrating it is for a lot of vegans. Even though I've only been a vegetarian for a year and a vegan for even less... it's hard to remember why I didn't take the time to open my eyes to what is going on with animal exploitation.

It's very scary to have to open your eyes to the truth when the truth is painful and will potentially shake up all of your beliefs and thoughts. A lot of people who sort of know what's going on in factory farms and slaughterhouses don't really want to know fully what's going on because it's painful. I'm not saying it's right... but that's how it is.

I think non-violent vegan education and non-judgmental attitudes are what will turn people positively towards veganism. Nobody wants other people's beliefs shoved down their throats... even if it is true and morally right.