PDA

View Full Version : Why weren't you vegan before you became vegan?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

snowflower
Feb 2nd, 2011, 07:43 AM
Honestly it was because I had no idea what happened to the animals, never even gave it a thought... When I saw one of those videos from undercover inside the factory farms, i was shocked... that was it.. i was a vegetarian immediately after that and as I learned more about the dairy industry became vegan. It makes me wonder how many people are omnivores simply because they have no idea what goes on. If every person out there watched those videos, I am wondering how many more people would be vegetarian/vegan. The dairy and meat industry does a really good job promoting themselves and all the pictures of the happy looking cows and happy chickens gets in the back of your mind so when people think of farms or cows I'm sure they think of those and it really is false advertising and makes me so mad. I live with omnivores and on the milk carton is a bunch of beautiful looking cows grazing in a field, looking wonderful. It makes me so mad that they put that on there when they KNOW that is complete opposite of the truth. But obviously if they put a picture of the ACTUAL dairy cows in the real factory farms no one would buy the milk or cheese or whatever it was. I wish someday they could just put those awful videos on tv so people would know what goes on.

Everyone who's been vegetarian or vegan from birth or since they were little are soo fortunate.. I wish I had been raised that way and it must be really cool to learn how to cook vegan food right from the start!

Back-Space
Feb 2nd, 2011, 04:23 PM
Honestly it was because I had no idea what happened to the animals, never even gave it a thought... When I saw one of those videos from undercover inside the factory farms, i was shocked... that was it.. i was a vegetarian immediately after that and as I learned more about the dairy industry became vegan. It makes me wonder how many people are omnivores simply because they have no idea what goes on. If every person out there watched those videos, I am wondering how many more people would be vegetarian/vegan. The dairy and meat industry does a really good job promoting themselves and all the pictures of the happy looking cows and happy chickens gets in the back of your mind so when people think of farms or cows I'm sure they think of those and it really is false advertising and makes me so mad. I live with omnivores and on the milk carton is a bunch of beautiful looking cows grazing in a field, looking wonderful. It makes me so mad that they put that on there when they KNOW that is complete opposite of the truth. But obviously if they put a picture of the ACTUAL dairy cows in the real factory farms no one would buy the milk or cheese or whatever it was. I wish someday they could just put those awful videos on tv so people would know what goes on.

Everyone who's been vegetarian or vegan from birth or since they were little are soo fortunate.. I wish I had been raised that way and it must be really cool to learn how to cook vegan food right from the start!

I've seen those milk cartons... I should print off a few pictures of what a real farm looks like and go tape them on the front of the cartons next time I'm at the grocery store.

Owlish
Feb 3rd, 2011, 04:41 AM
I didn't know veganism existed, to be honest. I was just ignorant, but with some self-education and research and talking to vegans online, I've changed my ways. :D

snowflower
Feb 5th, 2011, 07:37 AM
I've seen those milk cartons... I should print off a few pictures of what a real farm looks like and go tape them on the front of the cartons next time I'm at the grocery store.

That would be a great idea!! I'd love to do that myself..

Clare
Feb 7th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Hi this is my first post so be gentle i have been a veggie or was for 20 years and what made me go vegan was reading just what happend on dairy farms i really did not know what went on but im so glad i did read such info as now i feel better for knowing and that the fact i am helping even tho i know we will never convert the world. I have been vegan for 3 months and loving it.:bigsmile:

veganvalor
Feb 8th, 2011, 01:13 AM
'Cos I was ignorant having smoked the opium of the masses, and not just religion Karl, but TV and especially the propaganda machines infecting our minds. The shitstem is perfectly programmed to get you believing and buying into the mainstream. To paraphrase Thoreau. Most of live lives not of quiet desperation but quiet annihilation and indoctrination. But things are changing friends. There's a wind of truth blowing in from the west.

Global vegan domination is just around the corner. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated :)

Festered
Feb 11th, 2011, 12:25 AM
^^^ I hope you're right :)

Keyja
Feb 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM
I was simply raised omni. My entire family is omni, except for me.

I went vegetarian at the age of 15, to my parents disapproval (of course!). For me, I knew what went on in the dairy and egg industry, but I will admit that I was quite ignorant, just like some meat eaters can be. I would simply say that I like cheese too much to give it up. But then I found this forum and I studied myself. I was being very hypocritical, considering the reason I went vegetarian was for animal rights. But now, I'm a vegan and I absolutely love it.

:)

Spacey
Feb 27th, 2011, 03:49 PM
The short answer: because i was a idiot.

The long answer: I just never put 2+2 together. When I was 8, I witnessed a pig slaughter & thought it was horrific, but once the meat was on the plate I had no qualms about eating it because it's what everyone else was doing. Humans (myself included) are a very herdlike species. Until we develop a sense of individuality, we're just cluelessly following traditions, unwilling or afraid to scrutinize what we see around us because we are just fumbling for the comfort of acceptance and doing what's safe. With that in mind, I don't feel guilty for my ignorant years of being a carnivore; I had to grow out of it naturally. I do, however, feel deeply ashamed for having been a Republican. :p

andybuildz
Mar 3rd, 2011, 06:44 AM
The short answer: because i was a idiot.

Hahaha...great reply. can I use it too? Yep..thats my reason as well. why bother with any long answer..haha.
Your Republican response was even funnier.....thats one route I never chose. Being ANY party line here in the US lately is kind of insane.
Wonder if on the new voting booths they'd mind adding, "The Vegan Party" :D

deer
Mar 3rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Hi this is my first post so be gentle i have been a veggie or was for 20 years and what made me go vegan was reading just what happend on dairy farms i really did not know what went on but im so glad i did read such info as now i feel better for knowing and that the fact i am helping even tho i know we will never convert the world. I have been vegan for 3 months and loving it.:bigsmile:
Oh, this is the saddest thing when people who want to care about animals just don't know about the hidden animal use because the public is informed the way that there is much bigger difference between milk/eggs and meat than between milk/eggs and plants. Glad to hear that you are vegan now, it must have been quite a shock to get know this after 20 years.

ubbrok
Mar 4th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I was raised omni and didn't want to be a bother to my mother so I stuck to their ways. Once I realized I have the right to stick to my principles and not be a stupid teen by doing so, and not making anyone's life harder by becoming vegan I became vegan.

Spacey
Mar 8th, 2011, 04:29 PM
Hahaha...great reply. can I use it too? Yep..thats my reason as well. why bother with any long answer..haha.
Your Republican response was even funnier.....thats one route I never chose. Being ANY party line here in the US lately is kind of insane.
Wonder if on the new voting booths they'd mind adding, "The Vegan Party" :D

Now that would be a reason for me to go out & vote! Last time I voted was ages ago (for the wrong candidate, no less). Since then I've learned that both parties pretty much suck. I heard in Sweden there are like a dozen different parties. They say nothing ever gets accomplished, but at least people have a bigger selection to choose from. Let's all go to Sweden and form the Vegan Party... now accepting all ex-idiots lol

mrsmozart
Mar 8th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I guess I thought "well they don't kill the animals" but as I became involved in animal activism I learned about the horrors of dairy & egg farms.

Clueless Git
Mar 11th, 2011, 10:22 AM
When I was 8, I witnessed a pig slaughter & thought it was horrific, but once the meat was on the plate I had no qualms about eating it because it's what everyone else was doing.
'Lo Spacey :)

You are not alone.

My Saturday afternoon 'treat' was to be able to sit at the killing gate of a slaughter house and watch the whole process from the unloading of the animals to the clean up at the end.

We also used to have cows on the common moorland behind our family home. I used to be close to tears when the farmer came and they were loaded on a lorry because I knew where that lorry went.

The power of the 'disconnect' is truly mind-boggling.

None of that ever put me off of my Sunday roast.

Clueless Git
Mar 11th, 2011, 10:29 AM
I guess I thought "well they don't kill the animals" but as I became involved in animal activism I learned about the horrors of dairy & egg farms.

'Lo Mrsmozart :)

There is a pretty good argument that animals used for dairy and egg have it worse that animals up for the slaugher, indeed.

One group just faces the fear of the slaughter house once.

T'other has its very life extracted from it over a longer period of time (pretty much a living death?) and then has to face the fear of being slaughtered at the end of its 'torture' anyway.

pusskins
Mar 11th, 2011, 02:38 PM
I wasn't, because I wasn't confident in myself - low self-esteem, etc. - and I wanted to 'be' like someone who used to play a very important part in my life and used to greatly influence me. What they said was what I did. And I always tended to do what I thought I should do and what other people wanted me to do.

Over the last few years, I have become a stronger person and make decisions based on what I feel and think and believe. It took me a long time, and it took the help of my partner, to realise this and I am so much happier now. And I have now been vegan for coming up 3 years and I love myself.

leedsveg
Mar 11th, 2011, 05:48 PM
I wasn't, because I wasn't confident in myself - low self-esteem, etc. - and I wanted to 'be' like someone who used to play a very important part in my life and used to greatly influence me. What they said was what I did. And I always tended to do what I thought I should do and what other people wanted me to do.

Over the last few years, I have become a stronger person and make decisions based on what I feel and think and believe. It took me a long time, and it took the help of my partner, to realise this and I am so much happier now. And I have now been vegan for coming up 3 years and I love myself.

Hi pusskins

I think when we lack self-esteem, it's too easy to suffer from being controlled. I'm glad that you've been able to gain your autonomy and are so much happier.:thumbsup:

lv

Jennifer
Mar 18th, 2011, 09:14 PM
Before I became vegan, I was a hardcore meat eater. Most of this stemmed from some combination of an obsession with being thin, and the fact that eating the "atkins way", which was so popular in 2003, seemed to keep me extremely thin. Then I developed jaundice. Then I developed high liver counts. Then I got salmonella poisoning from deli ham. Then I read www.ohsheglows.com, then I decided to try being vegan and realized I loved how it pushed me towards healthier foods and let me eat a variety. Then I switched. Before that, I was a "Eat Meat, not Wheat" girl who made fun of my vegetarian friends...not anymore. I don't make fun of meat eaters, and I don't try to convert people, but one day at a time, I think this is what I want to do forever now.

pusskins
Mar 22nd, 2011, 12:53 PM
@leedsveg - thank you :)

@Jennifer - I love the positivity in your post :thumbsup: Good for you!

LuvAllLife
Mar 27th, 2011, 01:11 AM
Honestly, I think the reason I wasn't vegan earlier is the reason most people aren't: I had NO CLUE what was happening beyond the package.

You are bombarded by advertisements selling you images of happy, smiling cows standing in sunny pastures with their babies. It was only this year that I finally put 2 & 2 together; what was happening to the baby cows so that their mothers milk could be harvested. As a vegetarian, I had always been happy with the fact that I wasn't responsible for killing an animal. And here I was torturing and killing a baby calf for veal by consuming dairy. I felt like SUCH an idiot!

Aside from ethics, a big part of my familys decision to go vegan was health; when we discovered what was actually IN milk and animal products... yuck.

I think to sum it up, the dairy industry spends 165 million a year in advertising to make sure people are brainwashed into thinking they require milk from a cow. This can be hard to accept as wrong when everywhere you turn, society says it's normal. So I would say that is why it took me 29 years to become vegan. But honestly, it's never too late!

DeMontfort
Mar 27th, 2011, 04:50 AM
Because I was a vegetarian. Eating meat makes me feel ill, it honestly makes me feel like a cannibal however I do not feel the same way about drinking milk/eating diary products as they do not disgust me. I knew very little about the diary industry until I met a lady who introduced me to the idea and now after a bit of research I have decided that I cannot be a vegetarian in all honesty without being a vegan so here I am.

BlackBow
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:31 AM
Fear of judgment.

helloalex
Apr 22nd, 2011, 06:43 AM
I was vegetarian for about a month when i was 13 or something (7 yrs ago) and i did it totally wrong. I got super pale and lost all energy and my mom ended up hanging me a slice of meat pizza and telling me to eat... and i did. Since then, i had been completely turned off of the idea of a non-meat diet. In recent years, i've eaten meat once or twice a week, depending on where i was (never cooking it, unless it was a special request by my bf) but did eat vegetarian most of the time. I gained a lot of weight since high school due to my long term relationship and the normal freshman 15, and was considering different diets for health. A friend suggested veganism saying "since i went back to being vegan, all i do is lay on the couch, smoke weed, and i am still losing weight!" A few days later, i had chicken in the oven (a rare cooking spree) and was reading a magazine that had a vegan article. The chicken finished cooking, i took one bite, it tasted horrible, i literally threw the whole thing away and haven't had meat since, and have only had any animal product 2 other times (once on accident).

I ordered the book skinny bitch and read that, and have decided that rather then just be a dietary vegan, i should take it a step further and try to make other aspects of my life more ethical. Due to money constraints, i am still using the same non-vegan products that i had before because i can't afford to buy above my absolute needs, so i can't replace everything at once, but i have been researching different products.

Aside from animal products, i am going to try to cut white flours and refined sugars as well (100% of my mom's family has/had diabetes).

Tofu Monkey
May 30th, 2011, 06:35 PM

This was pretty much the same as me.

I went veggie when I was 16/17 because I realised the horrors of meat farming. My parents weren't very supportive because they thought it was a phase, so I was made to eat the 'sides' of every meal that had meat in it. After a few months, my mum realised it was a serious choice I'd made so she began to buy me veggie alternatives.

I had heard of veganism a couple of times from sites online but never really paid attention to it. Whilst in the midst of my eating disorder, I decided to go vegan simply because it enabled me to limit my food choices even further. However, this lasted on a week or so and then I gave up. As I was young and not very educated on veganism, I didn't have a clue what I should eat and spent the whole week eating veggies and baked beans :rolleyes:

My thoughts on veganism after this was:

1) I thought vegetarianism was cruelty free, veganism seemed extreme to me
2) I loved cheese too much and refused to live without it
3) I thought veganism was a lot harder than it actually is (Eat food, not too much, mostly plants)

I decided to go vegan 3 years ago after me and my flatmate dared each other to try it. This time round I was a lot more educated on the foods I could eat so I found myself with a lot of choice. Amazingly, turning vegan inspired me to research why people do go vegan. What I found actually strengthened my views and made me realise that I could never eat dairy/eggs again.