PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese - any good?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15

twinkle
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:30 PM
Well, I actually really like the taste of the super melting Cheezley, though I don't eat it incredibly often. I just thought the Scheese had an overpowering aftertaste and I wasn't that keen on the texture.

puffin
Nov 7th, 2006, 01:50 PM
I agree Twinkle. I like cheezly but the scheese is pretty odd. It smells funny as well. I tried them cheese slices a few years ago and they were horrible. I think they were the Tofutti ones but never again.

Troutina
Nov 8th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Mmm I made more Cheezly straws:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/troutina/CheezlyStraws.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/troutina/Cheezly.jpg

puffin
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:14 AM
I am going to try them, they look lovely.

Jamie
Nov 8th, 2006, 11:23 AM
is that jus-roll pastry? do you think it tastes incredibly buttery for something that is supposed to be vegan?! :o it's a bit rich for me. I bet my hubby would love those cheese straws though :)

Gorilla
Nov 9th, 2006, 02:33 PM
they look good Troutina! :) my mum made me some cheese pastries last Christmas with Cheezly. she makes her own pastry though, i'm no good at that. :o

Tigerlily
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:22 PM
Mmm I made more Cheezly straws:

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/troutina/CheezlyStraws.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b82/troutina/Cheezly.jpg

:eek:

Wow!

Can you air mail me some?

Jamie
Nov 9th, 2006, 03:47 PM
How do people find the vegan cheeses raw? We only really have cheesly mozzarella super melting, it's fab on a pizza but that's about all I can really enjoy it on! Might be to do with it having been in the oven or something. My hubby put some 'grated' on top of spaghetti last night, but after a few mouthfuls with the cheesely I just wasn't getting on with it and had to push it off. I'm not too fond of in in a toasted sandwich either, unless it's with something else and quite a small amount.

Troutina
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:08 PM
:eek:

Wow!

Can you air mail me some?

HAHA!
That would be so horrid...
Imagine the mess of crumbs that would arrive!!

is that jus-roll pastry? do you think it tastes incredibly buttery for something that is supposed to be vegan?! :o it's a bit rich for me. I bet my hubby would love those cheese straws though :)

I know, its lovely that pastry!
I think its Jus-roll.
Mmm I love Cheezly Straws.. such a treat!!

Wishin986
Nov 9th, 2006, 04:09 PM
HAHA!
Mmm I love Cheezly Straws.. such a treat!!

whats the recipe?

Troutina
Nov 9th, 2006, 07:23 PM
In a saucepan melt some butter and soya milk, put some puff pastry onto a baking sheet and cut into strips. Brush the butter/ milk liquid onto the strips, grate cheezly [I use Gouda, its the best] onto the strips and brush some more of the liquid onto the strips. Bake at around 180c until the cheese has melted and it looks all yummy, take out the oven, cool for as long as you can bare and EAT!

Melanie
Dec 3rd, 2006, 11:24 PM
mMmMm I bought some of that cheese stuff yesterday so i'm going to try that, thanks for the recipe!
-hug-
~xx

Troutina
Dec 4th, 2006, 08:05 PM
Let me know how it turns out&post pictures!!

Melanie
Dec 4th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Let me know how it turns out&post pictures!!
Will do!
:)

Cherry
Feb 15th, 2007, 05:43 PM
On Cumin's recommendation I bought some hickory smoked scheese today. I'd gone in to the health food shop to find some super-melting cheezly, but when there wasn't any I thought I'd go with the suggestion and try it out. Based on my last encounter was scheese, I was expecting it to be disgusting, but the smoked stuff is LOVELY!! I'm shocked! I've been avoiding all scheese all this time!

Troutina
Mar 22nd, 2007, 11:27 AM
I work at Papa Johns, and tried some Gauda Cheezly on a pizza, and its so lovely!! Had it with jalapenos&onions. Dont put too much on, but its so much better than having a cheeseless pizza, but without too strong a taste. I would think that most branches would let you take your own cheese in, or if you live near Surbiton [Kingston] pop in and I'll make you a vegan one!

Hemlock
Mar 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
Based on my last encounter was scheese, I was expecting it to be disgusting, but the smoked stuff is LOVELY!! I'm shocked! I've been avoiding all scheese all this time!

Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?:)

Cherry
Mar 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Hallucinating? ? You mean, imagining that I was seeing scheese when it was actually something else, or , urm, hatastilating?? :D

I've had it again since it turned into sheese and I still like it. It's quite strong though. I couldn't eat a lot in one go.

Cumin
Mar 28th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I'm glad you liked it Cherry. They've updated the recipe lately and I think it's even better. Plus the cheddar one is edible now too.

Mr Flibble
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:43 PM
i've some stuff with chives in the fridge at the mo, but there's a chance I'm getting 6 packs of cheezly at the weekend, so i may not get round to it ;)

emmapresley
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:47 PM
got my first packet of cheezly mozzerella melty today..it's like like solidified emulsion paint...was okay grated and stirred into mashed spuds but i don't think it's gonna be a regular buy :confused:

Cherry
Mar 28th, 2007, 07:55 PM
haha - was it supermelting or not?

emmapresley
Mar 28th, 2007, 08:10 PM
i think so? it was white as was the mashed spuds..so i think so..if that doesn't sound too dim of me. i'm gonna try some in a toastie with some tomatoes..maybe some roast veg..and i'm gonna try putting some on pasta (variations of pasta and roast veg etc etc) and pop it in the oven for a bit. might be adventurous and make a lasagne..ohh..i miss those.haven't tried doing white sauce with soya milk cos i was one of those lazy ppl who bought tubs of fresh cheesy sauce for lasagnes...but i think the packet of cheezly might've ran out by then..and i'm not altogetehr sure that i want to buy any more?

i'm provisionally putting cheezly into the same category as brandy snaps..for me personally..i don't see the point..but i'll reserve proper judgment until after i've made some of the above :D

eco
Mar 29th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I tried some of the new 'Sheese' soft vegan cheese the other day an to my disappointment it tasted as bad as all the other vegan cheeses I've tried. It looked so promising too. I'm definitely giving up on vegan cheese.

auntierozzi
Mar 29th, 2007, 10:09 AM
There are no un-cheeses available here. I have tried some, I think by Redwood in the UK and feel that it all tastes chemically..I don't feel good eating it and can't pretend it's normal cheese because that doesn't feel right either..Maybe these new ones are better. I think I have a kind of psychological problem with these cheeses....If that makes any sense.
I have had some success with the Uncheese cookery book. Because I have actually made them myself I feel better about what's in them..Maybe I'm just a culinary control freak!!