PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese - any good?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

FR
Apr 29th, 2005, 11:51 PM
:D You just haven't tried my version of it. :D :D :D
To each their own. Send me some of the stuff (chreese) and I'll try it out.

Ileana

Okay. I have cheddar packs left. I used up all the mozerella ones :p.

littleTigercub
May 2nd, 2005, 11:44 AM
I tried many and did not like either. It`s the consistency I find yucky - I actually forgot to list vegan cheeses in the "yucky food" thread.

littleTigercub

spo
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:36 PM
Hey, can any of you tell me how good Cheezly is? Since I am in the States, I wanted to get it shipped from the UK, but not before I get your opinions as to its taste and ability to melt. ;)
spo

bittersweet
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:40 PM
Spo - new melting Cheezly melts very well (almost too runny for some purposes, which is why less can be more). I find it a little bland, but it's good in toasties or pizza, to give "mouthfeel" to stronger tasting ingredients (olives, sundried tomatoes etc)

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
Spo, you can get melting Cheezly (which melts pretty much like dairy cheese) but the cheddar one (which I think has the strongest taste) is only available in slice form. The block cheddar cheezly goes more kind of squidgy than melty, it's still nice though (in my opinion anyway :) ). I don't think any of them are nice enough to eat on their own (again though, just my opinion), but they're fantastic for making cheese on toast, pizza etc.

There was a cheese I tasted at the Veggie Roadshow which tasted just like dairy cheese, but I think it might have been 'Scheese' (not sure if that's the correct spelling) - it's slightly more expensive but seemed nicer than Cheezly.

bittersweet
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
My partner reckons the "cheddar" scheese tastes more like a mild blue cheese! - and of course, it's non melting...

Evilfluffbunny
Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:58 PM
My partner reckons the "cheddar" scheese tastes more like a mild blue cheese! - and of course, it's non melting...

I wish I knew what it was I'd tasted, the samples were all mixed up though and it was too busy to go and ask someone. :(

Another thing which was really nice (and tasted exactly like the traditional version) was a cheese & onion pasty/pie thing by Ambrosia Foods. It was so cheesey tasting that I panicked at first and thought I'd picked up a veggie thing by mistake - it was definately vegan though. I can't find them anywhere though and they don't have a website. :(

Mozbee
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:07 PM
I tried Scheese first and quite liked it, but after experiencing Cheezley I've not given it another go.
I'm a Cheezley convert, I've tried the mozzarella, gouda, mature cheddar style (& probably a few others). I like the mature cheddar style raw!
The melting versions are okay but tend to be prone to moulding quicker even when kept in airtight containers.

feline01
Jun 2nd, 2005, 10:16 PM
Spo,

Have you ever tried Vegan Gourmet cheese made by Follow Your Heart? It's scrumptious, at least the mozarella and the monterey jack. I'm not too fond of the cheddar or nacho. And it melts! That's the same company who makes Vegannaise (yum).

spo
Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:32 PM
Well, yes, feline, I do use the Vegan Gourmet stuff all the time. I actually find it is not as good as I hoped. It does melt, but very irregularly. It will melt under the broiler, OK, but in the microwave, it is not too melty.

I just want to rant a moment here: I found the Redwood Wholefood Company website a few week back, and they said they took online orders. I had always wanted to get my hands on Cheezly, and some of the Deli Slices. I asked for and got good opinions from you guys on the forum. So, I went to put in an order yesterday.
I put in my order, including the section for my address, and when I got to the credit card part, it said:We Do Not Ship Outside the UK!!!. I was so p*ssed off!! Why not say that right at the beginning of the shop section???:cool:

So, it looks like I will have to stick with my homemade fake cheese sauces and the Vegan Gourmet. I do so want to try Cheezly!! :( :( :(
spo

feline01
Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:43 PM
Well, you'll just have to plan a trip to the UK :)

cedarblue
Jun 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
Well, yes, feline, I do use the Vegan Gourmet stuff all the time. I actually find it is not as good as I hoped. It does melt, but very irregularly. It will melt under the broiler, OK, but in the microwave, it is not too melty.

I just want to rant a moment here: I found the Redwood Wholefood Company website a few week back, and they said they took online orders. I had always wanted to get my hands on Cheezly, and some of the Deli Slices. I asked for and got good opinions from you guys on the forum. So, I went to put in an order yesterday.
I put in my order, including the section for my address, and when I got to the credit card part, it said:We Do Not Ship Outside the UK!!!. I was so p*ssed off!! Why not say that right at the beginning of the shop section???:cool:

So, it looks like I will have to stick with my homemade fake cheese sauces and the Vegan Gourmet. I do so want to try Cheezly!! :( :( :(
spo

if you can find a company that ships refridgerated parcels i will send you some :)

gertvegan
Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:40 PM
I put in my order, including the section for my address, and when I got to the credit card part, it said:We Do Not Ship Outside the UK!!!. I was so p*ssed off!! Why not say that right at the beginning of the shop section???spo, it does say "Due to the cost and restrictions of shipping perishable products overseas, we regret to say we are unable to provide this service to consumers. However, we do offer a container service to importers" in answer to the "Can any products of your be shipped overseas?" question in the faq. And on their forum it says "Currently we don't sell in the USA. We are however looking into various possibilities. Although we have no firm date as to when we will start distributing I will keep you informed". Though this was posted some time ago. Why don't you email them spo, I've spoken to them at various vegan fayres and over the phone, and they seem very approachable. :)

spo
Jun 3rd, 2005, 09:54 PM
Oh, Cedarblue, thank you so very much. I will look into how this could be done, if it is indeed possible. It is so nice of you to suggest this. I will pay all expenses, if I find that the plan is feasible. If I come up with a simple and reasonable way, I will PM you. Thanks, again for your kindness. :D

Yes, Gert, you are totally right here. Maybe I was just so anxious and happy to get my hot little vegan hands on the Cheezly, that I subconsciously overlooked the FAQ section. I do feel stupid, now, though. :(
Oh, BTW, I did email them asking if they had come up with some way to get their products sold in the US, but so far, no answer. But, I'm sure it will take a little time. :o
spo

NakedBeavis
Jun 13th, 2005, 08:03 PM
I think the tofutti cheeses are ok if you nuke'em, but barely edible otherwise.. And they're 99.9 percent junk food.

The best vegan cheeses I've eaten (and cheese was a serious craving for me) are in the cookbook "Simply Heavenly! The Monastery Vegetarian Cookbook". They are so good that I often refer to this book as my bible. I was never a fan of pimentos, but you really can taste them in the pimento cheese recipes and they're wonderful in sandwiches.

Their seitan recipes are swell also, but pretty involved.

Think Un-beef and Notzarella sandwiches!

spo
Jun 13th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Hi, NB
you seem to be new here, so welcome to the forum and it's good to have you with us. :D

This cookbook of yours sounds very good to me. I have never heard of it before; do you know where we can get it? Or how?
Thanks
spo:)

NakedBeavis
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Howdy Spo..
It's actually out of print, and thus hard to come by. You can try getting it from Half.com or Amazon.. If you see it for $30 or less, snatch it up. Why they don't bring this book back print is beyond me.

Franny
Jun 14th, 2005, 08:21 PM
I like vegan gourmet mozzarella. There was this one cheese we bought when we first became vegan. It's hard to talk about. It was a block of vegan cheddar. It was slimy and disgusting and........yuck. I haven't fully recovered from that experience. How it ended up in a food store is beyond me.

Kevster
Jun 14th, 2005, 09:39 PM
After my fresh organic bread, grated melting mozarella, and vegan worcestor sauce thing, lightly grilled hmmmmmm, i've moved onto cucumber and cheezly mozarella sandwiches, quite an enjoyable snack i must say.

Caitlin
Jun 28th, 2005, 01:43 PM
I liked them! But stopped buying them because I thought they were just vegetarian, not vegan.

bmwslut
Jul 14th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Hm....vegan cheese.
Its tough...I loved cheese before I became vegan. So an alternative is hard to swallow...no pun intended. I tried soymage...It smelled good but made me want to puke. I'm going to try the slices today...hope that doesn't bomb too. I also tried their sour cream...yuck! I also bought a block of Vegan Rella...its ok. I'd say just ditch cheese if your the dairy connoisseur because the taste buds reject...well at least for me. <sigh>

Roxy
Jul 14th, 2005, 05:58 PM
Yes, it's definately hard to compare "fake cheese" to the real thing. Just like trying to compare apples and oranges.

I've grown quite accostomed to my Toffuti slices.

Wildflower
Jul 16th, 2005, 12:43 AM
I bought a block of Vegan Rella today....it is um...interesting. I grated it on tacos and heated in the microwave. the cheese got very melty/sticky (I was suprised!) But the taste was a little weird... I think i will have to try it mixed in more and with some more spices. Maybe mac and cheese?

Before I was vegan I used to buy soy cheese with casien and a lot of them are really good tasting. I thought the casien just helped it melt, I would rather have unmelty good tasting cheese than melty yucky tasting. But that's just me.

For those who find Vegan Gourmet by Follow Your Heart, can you let me know what stores and where you live? I am in search of it and travel quite often and would like to pick it up. I know you can order online, but I really would rather pick it up to try. The website has distributers, but not retail stores, so it is hard to say where to get it without calling all the distributers in my region, then calling all the stores they tell me may have it. I did start a thread here (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4690) for anyone who wants to start a retail store list. Thanks!

DianeVegan
Jul 16th, 2005, 10:26 PM
I have found Vegan Gourmet cheese in New York, Connecticut, Virginia (D.C.) and Alaska. I think theirs is absolutely the best (I have thrown away every other brand that I've tried).

If you have the desire to make it, the block cheddar from the Ultimate Uncheese Book is just as good as Vegan Gourmet. It's the mozzarella that I haven't been able to reproduce with much luck (too soft) and believe me, I've tweaked the recipe many times.

Cherry
Jul 16th, 2005, 11:27 PM
Scheese is just too chalky and :eek: (although I haven't tried it again for years so I don't know if they've improved it) but cheezly is ok. Super melting cheezly is great stuff (or grate stuff :rolleyes: ) - I think I prefer that one uncooked too. Vegerella tastes a bit strange.

As a vegetarian I used to have cheese on everything, but now I don't crave it at all, and I rarely have cheezly - partly because my health food shop's stocking is a bit erratic and partly because I'm just not used to having it. Are other people the same or are the cheese cravings just as strong?