PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese - any good?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

pixeequeen
Jul 17th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I used to be a huge cheese fan too Cherry, but I find I just have it on stuff rather than on its own and that gives me my cheese fix. I really like Cheddar Scheese though, much more than Cheezly. I reckon dairy cheese would taste icky nowI've got used to the faiirly strong distinctive Scheese taste in fact.

Cherry
Jul 17th, 2005, 12:28 AM
Maybe I should give scheese another go! I must note that the only time I have ever tried it was when I was vegetarian and still eating 'normal' cheese. It wouldn't be the same on pizza though (as melting cheezly).

I absolutely agree- the thought of eating dairy cheese is just weird. Along with all other dairy products. Sometimes I'm not sure if I've got the right cup of tea because I can't taste the soya milk anymore, but then I once did get the wrong cup and it was SO strongly 'milky'. Yuck.

NakedBeavis
Jul 26th, 2005, 01:09 PM
A last thought.. I also find that slicing avocado thinly works well as a cheese sandwich replacement.

Cherry
Jul 26th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Good Point. I love avocado sandwiches. Mmm.

Oh, and in veggie burgers: grated carrot.

Anna
Jul 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Hello I am new to this site and just finding my way as a vegan. Just wanted to say that I went to a veggie fair in Sheffield last week and tried some Scheese and cheezly samples which were lovely. It is really expensive here to buy if you find you have made a mistake so at the moment I am surviving without

Anna
Aug 2nd, 2005, 03:13 PM
Maybe I should give scheese another go! I must note that the only time I have ever tried it was when I was vegetarian and still eating 'normal' cheese. It wouldn't be the same on pizza though (as melting cheezly).

I absolutely agree- the thought of eating dairy cheese is just weird. Along with all other dairy products. Sometimes I'm not sure if I've got the right cup of tea because I can't taste the soya milk anymore, but then I once did get the wrong cup and it was SO strongly 'milky'. Yuck.
I have really got used to soya milk in tea and coffee now and actually think they are better. Today I am following the information I was given about the whereabouts of engevita yeast flakes will let you all know the outcome. am going on a trip to Zed's at nether edge after work today

IntoTheBlue
Aug 3rd, 2005, 12:29 PM
I've tried every type of vegan 'hard' cheese going in the hope of finding one that I like, but so far no luck. I don't even like the melting cheesly that so many vegans say is delicious. The first time I tried scheese, I literally gagged. The one that I found the least yucky was Tuffuti mozzerella style. After 10 years of trying, I've given up hope of finding one I really like. The 'soft' cheeses I find much more palatable and I think Toffuti country vegetable is the tastiest.

VeganJohn
Aug 3rd, 2005, 02:43 PM
I personally think Cheezly is an excellent cheese substitute, although the melting mozzarella is fairly tasteless imo. Real dairy cheese appears quite 'greasy' to me now and I would not be able to stomach eating it I don't think.

I have tried Scheese, but only found it average in terms of taste. A truly awful tasting cheese was one that came shaped like a large sausage and was tofu based. I can't remember the name now, but it was not good at all.

gicuzzi
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:35 AM
I'm kinda frustrated because I am having a hard time finding true vegan cheeses here... I don't understand the point of making "veggie" cheeses if they aren't really vegan!

Yoggy
Aug 7th, 2005, 05:20 AM
I'm kinda frustrated because I am having a hard time finding true vegan cheeses here... I don't understand the point of making "veggie" cheeses if they aren't really vegan!
I think it's for people who are lactose intolerant. They can make a lacose-free cheese that still contains other animal derived products like rennet and casein, so that non-vegan lactose intolerant people can eat it. I guess they're a bigger market than vegans :(

On a different note, I just got "The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook" in the mail yesterday. It's for my sister's birthday. She's omni, but she's allergic to cheese, so it seemed like a great book for her. She also eats all sorts of non-cheesy dairy products, so hopefully she'll read the information in the introduction about the dangers of dairy and cut down. Even though I got this book for her, it looks so good that I may have to pick myself up a copy! But until then, I'm going to photocopy some of the tastier recipes before I send the book to her, so I can try them out for myself!

defu
Aug 7th, 2005, 10:22 AM
redwood and wheatey are ok:) good for pizza:)

VeganJohn
Aug 7th, 2005, 12:35 PM
I was under the impression that 'vegetarian' cheeses are cheeses that are not made using animal 'rennet', usually taken from the stomach lining of calves and used in the cheese making process.

I would have thought all dairy cheeses contain lactose??

gicuzzi
Aug 7th, 2005, 02:40 PM
I think it's for people who are lactose intolerant. They can make a lacose-free cheese that still contains other animal derived products like rennet and casein, so that non-vegan lactose intolerant people can eat it. I guess they're a bigger market than vegans :(

My mom is lactose intolerant and the only cheese she can eat is cheddar cheese because it doesn't contain lactose (so she says... I haven't done my research!) This is why the whole "veggie cheddar cheese" thing confuses me if its not vegan!

Yoggy
Aug 8th, 2005, 04:40 AM
I was under the impression that 'vegetarian' cheeses are cheeses that are not made using animal 'rennet', usually taken from the stomach lining of calves and used in the cheese making process.
I'm sure you're right about there being no rennet in vegetarian cheese. I didn't do my research :o , and I've never eaten veg*n cheese.

I had no idea about cheddar cheese not containing lactose, but I googled it, and it seems to be true. Weird.

eve
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:13 AM
Even cheddar contains casein - which is a big turnoff as it is not only dairy, but casein is addictive.

Like IntoTheBlue, the first time I tried scheese, I gagged. Even cheese labelled "soy cheese" contains casein, but there is one cheese produced here by KingLand, labelled soy cheese cheddar style and is completely vegan.

eve
Aug 8th, 2005, 07:30 AM
PS: an extract from a vegsoc.org article:

Advances in genetic engineering techniques mean that some vegetarian cheeses may now be made using chymosin produced by GE micro-organisms. The DNA which encodes for chymosin is introduced into a micro-organism which can then be cultured to produce commercial quantities of chymosin. This is done by extracting genetic material from calf stomach cells which acts as a template for producing the chymosin encoding DNA. This can then be introduced into the micro-organism. Once the genetic material is introduced there is no further need for calf cells. Alternatively, the chymosin encoding DNA can be bio-synthesised in the laboratory without the use of calf cells.

The chymosin produced is identical to that produced by calf stomach cells. The development of GE chymosin has been encouraged by shortages and fluctuations in cost of rennet from calves. Its manufacturers claim that GE chymosin will end the cheese making industry's reliance on the slaughter of calves.

Wishin986
Aug 10th, 2005, 01:11 AM
I tried Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese for the first time tonight and it was divine! :D Not as good as Earth Balance, which I also had for the first time, which tastes better than butter! Yumm... I have a feeling it is not going to be a good thing that I have discovered these since I will now be eating them.. a lot. :p

sugarmouse
Aug 12th, 2005, 01:48 AM
i have grown to like most vegan cheese now..espectially the rice based varieties...i see it as an aquired taste)

moochbabe
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:33 AM
i just wanted to mention, that since having the tofutti cheese slices, i just tried a new brand and their cheese is amazing. i noticed the tofutti cheese slices did have a chemical taste to them, but this cheese tastes just like chedder cheese and velveeta mixed together. its got that grainy taste that chedder does. heres the link if anyones interested!

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/soyco.html#6

they have a section on "where to buy"

I just recently got those, I dunno, i guess they're a little hard to get used to, but I'm sure I'll aquire a taste for them! :p

moochbabe
Aug 16th, 2005, 06:49 AM
I just discovered Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative from Follow Your Heart, it tastes great and melts.

I really gotta try that cuz in Cali I've only found some kinda lousy vegan cheese, although I have to be honest, I haven't really been looking that hard, I just bought some the other day. :D

DianeVegan
Aug 16th, 2005, 10:08 PM
Follow Your Heart is located in Calilfornia - they even have a restaurant! I am sure you will be able to find it near you. I have to travel an hour to find it here (I will have to grovel and beg once again at my nearest health food store, trying to get them to carry it)

moochbabe
Aug 17th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Very cool! Thanx for the tips guys! I can't wait to try it! :p

lmd
Aug 17th, 2005, 11:34 PM
Anna,
If you live in Sheffield, "Beanies" is a great place for vegan food like yeast flakes (if it's still there - I lived in Shefiield for a while two years ago).

xwitchymagicx
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:14 PM
The cheese I had smelt like old socks. :( Lol it kind of put me off though I should try again...

urbandryad
Sep 15th, 2005, 09:27 PM
they don't have toffutti in my area. :( How expensive is it to order through the net? Anybody wiling to order it for me through like a paypal exchange?