PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese - any good?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

gertvegan
Nov 20th, 2005, 09:56 PM
i've been looking for their cream cheese but can't seem to find it anywhere.According to the Vegetarian mag, Swedish Soft (http://www.fayrefield.com/gallerySwedishSoft.htm) is making a return to supermarket shelves. Original and garlic and herbs being the two flavours. It's available from larger Sainsburys already it says, and other supermarkets soon. :)

Gorilla
Dec 5th, 2005, 08:52 AM
thanks gert, must have missed your post i've only just seen it :o my nearest Sainsbury's is pretty big so i'll have to look out for it there. :)

Gorilla
Dec 7th, 2005, 04:55 PM
Redwood melting Cheezly seems to have got a lot better all of a sudden - i don't know if they've changed the recipe recently but i think it's better and my boyfriend and a friend of mine agree. it seems to melt to a nicer consistency and tastes a bit more cheesy (and less plasticy!) to me. i've made some fantastic lunches with it recently - 'cheese' and pickle on toast, 'cheese' and 'ham' pannini and veggie burger with melted 'cheese' :D

now if only they could get it to melt like real cheese without having to put it under the grill - i'm holding out for cheesy baked beans and jacket potato! ;) the beans and potato tend to dry out or burn before the Cheezly has melted very much in my experience.

username
Jan 22nd, 2006, 02:23 PM
Hey, I'm currently looking for vegan cheese (preferably shredded, but any can do) you can buy in Hong Kong (not online and have it sent here). I've looked around but there aren't any and my father says there is no such thing in Hong Kong. Is that really true or not? There are a lot of imports. Can anyone help me, please? I'd appreciate it a lot.

harpy
Jan 22nd, 2006, 03:25 PM
Hi username (great username by the way :D )

I don't know the answer but if you look on here http://www.happycow.net/asia/china/hong_kong/ some healthfood shops are listed - maybe you could visit or ring round to see if they have what you're looking for?

username
Jan 23rd, 2006, 10:56 AM
Hey, thanks, harpy. That'll do for now. It takes like half an hour to get to Central - not too bad. I'll ring them up first though. Thanks again, I really hope they have the cheese I want. I guess they might even have a bunch of other good things too.

harpy
Jan 23rd, 2006, 11:28 AM
Good luck. You never know, if they don't have it you might be able to persuade them to get some. You could point out that there are lots of people avoiding dairy products these days, not only vegans.

Pob
Feb 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Missed the mention of the Swedish Soft being back in supermarkets.

Just bought some from Sainsbury, thanks to a heads-up from Nadine :)
Very nice it was, too, on a spelt cracker.

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Just bought some Follow Your Heart cheese at the Co-op. It is mozeralla and I had it on a vegan sandwich they serve there. It seemed good to me. I am thinking of adding some to my lasagna recipe.

Roxy
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:52 AM
I found non-hydrogenated Toffuti cream cheese today! I haven't tried it yet - probably tomorrow.

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 02:54 AM
Yummmm.... Tofutti cream cheese! Love that stuff. Have to watch out for it though. I will not eat anything without it if I have it in the house.

mophoto
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:23 AM
jane,
i am so jelous of you- a co-op & ann arbor, i lived there until i was 4, when my dad was at u of m. so close yet so far away.

you must have had the cross your heart mozz., i tried their "cheddar" and it was the most disgusting vegan experience of my life:eek:

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:27 AM
Ahhh, mophoto!!!! Wish you were here...I would take you out for a good vegan dinner! Well I'm not much of an authority on the taste of cheese but this mozz was edible. It is sitting in the fridge waiting for me to use it in something. I have this thing about working new foods into my diet.

I willl beware the cheddar !!!!!;)

mophoto
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:34 AM
grilled mozzerela, tomato and basil-:)

Jane M
Feb 12th, 2006, 07:40 AM
ohhhhh...ymmmmmm. me loves tomatoes and basil....

Hemlock
Feb 21st, 2006, 11:51 AM
I just bought some Parmazano dairy free parmesan "cheese" made by Florentino.
It looks like parmesan and the taste is really not too bad, a bit too salty but doesn't make me run away screaming like most vegan cheeses, I think a little would go a long way if I was desperate for a bit of cheesy pasta - Rating: Not bad, quite cheesy but use sparingly :)

archaeopteryx
Feb 21st, 2006, 12:07 PM
I find that Parmezano works very well in pesto.

tabitha
Feb 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM
vegan cheese?! gag!!! ok if you close your eyes, have a good imagination and cover it with lots of strong tasting stuff.

Kam
Feb 22nd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Ooh, no, I LOVE it!!! That cheezly stuff is brilliant, I have really taken to it easily. I don't eat it straight, but then I never did, but for cheeze on toast, or on pizza, or sprinkled over pasta etc, it's brilliant, I don't mind it as a substitute at all.

tabitha
Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:03 PM
Its the texture as well:eek:

strawberry
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Hi everyone! :)

Ok, Ive got a vegan cheese question. The other weekend I bought some vegan gourment cheddar and abs. hated the consistency!! it was horrid, and it didnt melt at all. I was so disappointed b/d I heard it was actually good. I was wondering if the gourmet kind was the best out there, (since thats what I've heard). What about veganrella? I heard it melts well but what about the flavor and consistency?

DizIzBre
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:49 PM
I love cheese c that is what made it hard for me to become veggie. but i hate veggie cheese it's awful... but i hav'nt tryd all so there might be some out there good. i know this was kinda off a little...

mophoto
Mar 7th, 2006, 09:55 PM
I too was disappointed in vegan gourmet. glad to find someone else that was, too! my dogs wouldn't even eat it:) since then i have steered clear from cheese. if you find anything better let me know:)

strawberry
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM
haha ya it was sick! have u tried veganrella?

DizIzBre
Mar 7th, 2006, 10:08 PM
yea me too please