PDA

View Full Version : Vegan cheese - any good?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

foxytina_69
May 31st, 2004, 09:04 AM
has anyone tried the tofutti cheese slices? if so what do u think of them? i think theyre delicious!

Cloudy
May 31st, 2004, 11:03 AM
I tried them a while back and have to say I didn't like them, although I can't remember why. Maybe I should give them another go.

Everything else by Tofutti I really like so perhaps I was having an off day ;)

Aristarchus
May 31st, 2004, 04:14 PM
I was disappointed with the white slices. I wanted them to be more like mozzarella. They were not that way to me. On pizza they were drippy instead of stretchy. There was none of that subtle monzo taste. It was like gloppy tofu. For pizza I prefer the Tofutti cream cheeze with herbs and vegan Parmesan mixed in the same way you would make lasagna cheeze which I put in globs on the sauce instead of trying to top the sauce with cheeze. I then put a light sprinkle of Parmesan over the vegetables I put on the pizza. Not exactly traditional but a good pie none the less.

The yellow made a lovely toasted cheeze sandwich. It was good with a smear of mustard and a sprinkle of sundried tomato bits. For the sandwich the melt was right. Unlike many other vegan cheeses Tofutti does melt nicely.

Roxy
May 31st, 2004, 08:01 PM
I use the orange-coloured toffuti slices. They are okay I suppose, for grilled cheese sandwiches or if you like a slice of cheese on your vege burger. I haven't tried them any other way.

Roxy

foxytina_69
Jun 1st, 2004, 01:49 AM
the white ones are hard to get used to but good grilled! and i just put an orange slice in pasta i made last night and it melted and made it all gooey and yummy. the orange slices are also good just out of the package, on toast, with lettuce and mustard. very yummy :)

Cloudy
Jun 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
the white ones are hard to get used to but good grilled! and i just put an orange slice in pasta i made last night and it melted and made it all gooey and yummy. the orange slices are also good just out of the package, on toast, with lettuce and mustard. very yummy :)

Haha, "hard to get used to", I like that! They're the ones I tried. They put me off trying the orange ones. I'll give 'em a go next time I see some for sale. Mmm mustard.

webster
Jun 3rd, 2004, 08:35 PM
Vile, vile, nasty things.

Okay, okay, they were probably okay enough. They tasted an awful lot like American processed cheese (Velveeta, etc.), which is fine if you don't know any different, but ...

We binned what was left of ours. :-(

mattd
Jun 4th, 2004, 05:10 PM
tofutti is the only vegan cheese i'll eat besides follow your heart (and you can't find that stuff around here). the american slices are pretty good, and work well for veggie burgers. i just made a vegan spinach and cheese omlet a couple days ago. the tofutti slices worked really well for it.

you just have to realize that there will probably never be cheese alternatives that taste just like cheese. but it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.

foxytina_69
Jun 5th, 2004, 05:41 AM
it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.

i aggree :D

cedarblue
Jun 9th, 2004, 07:42 PM
tofutti is the only vegan cheese i'll eat besides follow your heart (and you can't find that stuff around here). the american slices are pretty good, and work well for veggie burgers. i just made a vegan spinach and cheese omlet a couple days ago. the tofutti slices worked really well for it.

you just have to realize that there will probably never be cheese alternatives that taste just like cheese. but it's been so long since i've had the real thing that i can't really remember what it tastes like.

vegan spinach & cheese omelette sounds good! recipe please mattd! :p

Cloudy
Jun 9th, 2004, 08:03 PM
vegan spinach & cheese omelette sounds good! recipe please mattd! :p

Yeah, so long as it isn't:

Ingredients: Spinach
Directions: Fry

;)

VeganAnn
Jun 10th, 2004, 12:33 AM
I like both flavors. It's pretty good.

cedarblue
Jun 12th, 2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah, so long as it isn't:

Ingredients: Spinach
Directions: Fry

;)

oh! picky, picky, picky!!
i was assuming it wasn't too! - as for your recipe - :D

anyway, mattd, wheres the recipe for us to (maybe) try!!!!

animalsvoice
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:43 PM
There is only one vegan cheese to buy here (not even in the ordinary store though, where we buy food, but in a small health food shop that only have like 3-4 packs - when they have them... a lot of times they don't.) and it's tofutti in an orange color. I have to like them, otherwise I would only have one thing to put on bread - tofu. Most of the time i don't have any of that cause they (the health food store) don't have it a lot. Grrrrrrrr I feel discriminated, these meat eaters have soooo much to choose between and I have almost nothing.... :mad: No yoghurt or anything, I'm so tired of this special treatment. And we're paying for it too!! (tax) :( (To the agriculture that make bad food, so they can sell it cheaper)

Buzzola
Jun 17th, 2004, 04:00 PM
I really didn't like the cheese slices - they taste really chemically to me. I had to drown out the taste with lots of tomato and pepper and even then they weren't that great. Also they got runny when cooked which annoyed me a lot.

foxytina_69
Jun 20th, 2004, 03:08 PM
i just wanted to mention, that since having the tofutti cheese slices, i just tried a new brand and their cheese is amazing. i noticed the tofutti cheese slices did have a chemical taste to them, but this cheese tastes just like chedder cheese and velveeta mixed together. its got that grainy taste that chedder does. heres the link if anyones interested!

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/soyco.html#6

they have a section on "where to buy"

mattd
Jun 20th, 2004, 08:45 PM
is that the soymage cheese slices? everything i've tried by that company is not good at all. it usually smells good, but has that really bad soy cheese gritty aftertaste to it. but, i have yet to try their slices. maybe i'll give it a try.

foxytina_69
Jun 20th, 2004, 08:46 PM
yes its the soymage slices. i really liked them! theyre the closest thing to cheese ive tasted in a long time.

Cloudy
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:02 AM
Anyone had some of that "new super melty" Redwood cheese? Bought some this weekend but not had the chance to see if it works or not yet. Fingers crossed!

harpy
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:07 AM
Yes, I've had it and it did melt in a realistic manner when put on bread and toasted. I can't say pseudo-cheese is my favourite thing to eat but it's nice to know it's there.

Where did you get yours? It's really hard to get round here and I ended up doing a bulk order over the web (from www.goodnessdirect.co.uk if anyone's interested - you can also order direct from www.redwoodfoods.co.uk but with goodnessdirect I was able to get the carriage costs down to £3 by ordering £30 worth of assorted groceries).

Cloudy
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Where did you get yours?

I got it from an organic/healthfood/vegetarian type place in Brighton. Although come to think of it, it's one of the best of that type of shop I've ever been in.

Just remembered now I've forgotten to put it in the fridge last night when I got back. Hopefully it'll be ok!

harpy
Jul 12th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Not Infinity Foods? I love that place.

A Redwoods person told me that independent health food shops are the most likely to have it - they are "in negotations" with Holland & Barrett about whether they will stock it, apparently.

Just remembered now I've forgotten to put it in the fridge last night when I got back. Hopefully it'll be ok!

...or already melted. You can't lose :)

Cloudy
Jul 12th, 2004, 11:36 AM
Not Infinity Foods? I love that place.

Aye, that's the place, couldn't remember the name! The whole area is pretty good down there - there's the vegetarian shoes shop, and the red veg fast food place as well, plus loads of great shops.

And now I'm back at work, grumble grumble

harpy
Jul 12th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Yes, and there's also the Infinity Foods cafe, just opposite Vegetarian Shoes. (I take it it's still there?)

I don't like to go back to that branch of Red Veg as we had an embarrassing incident which involved my other half accidentally covering himself, me and most of the surrounding area with noodles :eek: Fortunately the staff were busy arguing among themselves at the time and barely noticed.

Wish IF would open a branch near me! We have health food shops but they are all chains.

veganesquire
Aug 11th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Has anyone ever heard of or seen a vegan substitute for cottage cheese? I have been vegan for 7 years, and for 7 years I have been missing cottage cheese. :(