PDA

View Full Version : healthy sweets please?

Pages : [1] 2

ChocolatBlanc
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I am positively ADDICTED to all sorts of horrible goodies, like chocolate and cookies and soy ice cream. I really need to eat more healthful things, but I have such a monumental sweet tooth! So I'd appreciate any ideas for some healthier desserts... preferably utilizing the natural sweetness of fruit? I've only thought of vanilla soy yogurt, broiled mangoes, and frozen bananas.
Any thoughts? Thanks! :)

eve
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:38 AM
Why not eat the mangoes in their natural state - really yummy. The same with bananas, what's the point of messing around with fruit to make them taste sweeter, aren't they sweet enough? Having a pear, or a mango, or a banana for dessert is great. :)

Cal
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:42 AM
Dried fruit is very sweet, for example dates and figs. :)

medus
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:49 AM
Dried fruits are very delicious... sweet, healthy and cheap :)
I'm fond of dried figs and dates. Actually, even my grandmother and cousin started to eat them instead of cakes or other sweets with milk and eggs. :)

ChocolatBlanc
Apr 25th, 2005, 08:51 AM
hmm, I actually don't like mangoes raw... but then I'm a bit weird.... but maybe I should aim to ask for sweet recipes that do not involve sugar/chocolate, because I really enjoy cooking and doing different stuff with food. And I guess I will try some dried fruit...

eve
Apr 26th, 2005, 10:39 AM
Life's easier for raw vegans, ChocolatBlanc!

Evilfluffbunny
Apr 26th, 2005, 10:41 PM
I think dried dates have a kind of caramel taste, well, OK, they're not quite as good as that but they are nice. :) Some berries have a nice sweet taste too.

How about boiled sweets? They're low fat even though they're full of sugar, it's just your teeth you need to watch out for! If you can't live without chocolate, then you could always compromise by dipping cherries and mandarin segments etc into melted carob or something. If you're anything like me though, you'll just eat all the carob then have a bit fruit after. :D

Kiva Dancer
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:04 AM
Healthy sweets, eh?

how about:

grilled pineapple
grilled plumbs
grilled peaches
fruit compote
frozen berries
frozen grapes
sorbets/Italian ices/Granitas (with fruit puree)
fruit salad
fruity yogert
fruity soy icecream
baked fruit

That's all I can think up for now. :)

Evilfluffbunny
Apr 27th, 2005, 12:42 AM
baked fruit

I forgot about that! Baked cooking apples are delicious stuffed with figs and they only take about 15 minutes in the oven. Nice and sweet and you don't have to feel quilty about eating them. :)

assilembob
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:36 AM
I have a recipe for some very low cal, low fat healthy cookies if you are interested (and they are chocolate which is the only bad thing in them!)

foxytina_69
Apr 27th, 2005, 01:54 AM
i would like that recipe assilembob :D

RockyRaccoon
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:02 PM
If you don't fancy fruit, how about Marzipan Balls -

Mix ground almonds with a little maple syrup and roll into little balls.

This usually satisfies my sweet cravings. The good thing is it's easy to just make a few at a time so you don't end up eating loads in one session (which is what happens with a packet of biscuits!! :) )

assilembob
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:21 PM
i would like that recipe assilembob :D
1/2 c. applesauce
1/2 c. unrefined cane sugar
2 T. light molasses
1 T. blackstrap molasses
5 T. silken tofu (pureed, firm)
1 T. vanilla extract
2 1/2 c. whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
2 c. chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven 350 degrees
2. "cream" the sugar, applesauce and molasses (doesn't really cream but becomes mush) Add tofu puree and vanilla and beat about 1 minute
3. Mix flour, soda and salt in small bowl, add to "creamed" mixture, blend in all flour.
4. Fold in chocolate chips
5. Drop onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake 8-10 minutes

modifications = if you don't mind a little fat some vegan margarine (1 cup) can go in place of 1/4 c. applesauce. This will make them more crisp on the edges. With just the applesauce they are very soft and yummy.
Healthy (ish) modification = grind 1/8 c. flaxseeds and add them to cookies and add 1 c. coco powder for a chocolate, chocolate cookie!

YAY for healthier cookies. And they are suprisingly good.
Be careful of the consistancy of the batter, as you may need more or less flour.

~Mel

ChocolatBlanc
Apr 30th, 2005, 05:32 PM
Thanks for these ideas, everyone! (I will try that cookie recipe, assilembob!) I am quite happy as I have now learned to greatly enjoy dried fruits and sorbets and such, instead of wolfing down chocolate soy ice cream by the pint. :)

snaffler
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:17 PM
Uncle Joes Mint Balls (http://www.uncle-joes.com/) 100% vegan

Mystic
May 1st, 2005, 11:05 AM
Date & coconut rolls (http://www.tierrafarm.com/web/dried_cocrolls.html) are my weakness - lucky for me they are nutritionally sound

Oh and I reckon that dates are BETTER than caramel - I love them. They are great filled with nut butter too

veggiegirl3
Feb 27th, 2006, 06:50 PM
Fruit smoothies! You can use soft tofu, soy/rice/almond milk, or orange juice and any combo or fruit. I use frozen berries and bananas. If I don't use banana, I add a little bit of some type of sweetener.

akaredarcher
Mar 17th, 2006, 03:36 AM
Hmm, some people already mentioned frozen fruit but frozen banana is my absolute favourite. I peel a banana & cut it in half (across its circumference not lengthways). I brush with lemon/lime juice, stick a paddlepop stick in the end & freeze them. When frozen they can be eaten just like icecreams - yum!

I also love dried figs, dates, & apricots.

A glass of regular soy or rice milk with vanilla essence stirred into it is also good as you get the vanilla flavour without having to buy a specialty product that is full of sugar.

I also like fruit breads too (baked with sultanas etc in the dough). I eat them toasted with no spreads on them at all. I find they are sweet enough with the fruit in them.

Diana
akaredarcher

insubordination
Mar 17th, 2006, 09:02 AM
Chop a banana (or 10) and freeze it. Chuck it in the blender/food processor with blueberries, strawberries or plums. It comes out life soft-serve ice-cream and is way tastier than soy ice-cream.

What about an apple sprinkled with walnuts, cinammon and maple syrup?

I've posted this before but grind some almonds (maybe 2/3 cup) in a food processor with a heaped tablespoon of carob powder (don't overdo it) add as many soft dates as you need to get it moist (maybe 4 or 5) so it can be rolled into balls. Add a bit of water or coconut/flax oil to mix with the carol powers. Shape them into balls and roll them in coconut. They're nice frozen too.

Sometimes I put in a bit of vanilla or instant coffee.

I took them to work once (how was I so unselfish) and everybody loved them and asked me for the recipe.

BTW, have tried making them with other nuts - almonds are best.

indianvegan
Mar 17th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Just take,

Peanuts
Almonds(Optional)
Cashew
Dates
Raisin
Pinch of Cardamom Powder

Ground them in a mixture, then bind them together in to small balls. No need to refrigerate.

You can put cashew and Pistachio on the top of it for decorating it.

I call it "Raw Vegan Energy Laddu"

Manish Jain

feral
Mar 17th, 2006, 04:42 PM
*feral fights the urge to lick the lappy screen*

*fails and reaches for the kitchen roll*

GoodbyeGirl
Mar 29th, 2006, 11:56 PM
from Cafe Vietnam

i know it sounds strange to have beans in your dessert, but trust me that these are sweet and delicious.
the secret of success here is to have a pliable dough and to press it as thin as possible without tearing. the syrup is extremely sweet, but the heat of the ginger and the richness of the coconut milk combine for a delicious experience.

sweet dumplings in ginger syrup

filling:
2/3 c dried yellow beans or 1/2 c split peas, soaked overnight
1 T vegetable oil (ideally oil in which shallots have been deep fried)
1 t sugar

dough:
5 c rice flour

syrup:
2 3/4 c sugar
1 T shredded fresh ginger

coconut sauce:
1 3/4 c coconut milk
2 t sugar
pinch of sea salt
8 t cornstarch mixed with 8 t water

topping:
3 T white sesame seeds

to make the filling, cook the beans or peas in boiling water for about 45-60 minutes or until very soft. drain and mash. add the oil and sugar to create a thick paste. set aside.
put the rice flour in a bowl and make a well in the center. gradually add enough warm water to make a smooth, pliable dough (about 2 cups). take small chunks of dough and flatten each into a palm-sized circle. place a teaspoon of filling in the center of each circle and spueeze together the edges at the top to make a ball. discard excess dough to avoid thick overlaps (use these pieces to make small balls with no stuffing)
add the dumplings to a pan of boiling water. they will rise to the surface when they are cooked, about 15-20 minutes. drain and plunge immediately into cold water. drain again.
for the syurp combine the sugar, ginger, and 1 quart of water in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
in another pan bring the coconut milk to a boil. add the sugar and salt, then slowly add the cornstarch mixture, stirring until just thickened. the sauce should be quite runny. to serve, place one or two large dumplings and a few small ones in each bowl. pour hot ginger syrup over the top, add 1-2 T of hot coconut sauce, and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Jane M
Mar 30th, 2006, 12:22 AM
drools uncontrollably.....:p

speedylemons
Apr 1st, 2006, 12:20 AM
not sure if it's been said or not, but you can dip bananas in just about anything: fruit preserves, shredded coconut, melted [vegan] chocolate, ground flaxseed, some sort of agave nectar or 'cinnamon sugar' would even be good. mmmmm. dried fruit, dates stuffed with a certain nut butter [all are good- the key is making the nut butter yourself.. the work will be worth the two little stuffed dates, and you won't want to bother making any more.. lol] alright ill stop im sure ive repeated a bunch, but im too lazy to read much right now. heh.

Freckles
Apr 1st, 2006, 12:31 AM
I like to eat fried bananas ... they're quite good. Just put a little vegan margarine in a pan, add a banana sliced in half longways ... simmer until it's a little brown ... and it's actually really good. I don't know that this is particularly healthy - but it's better than chocolate, I would assume! :)