PDA

View Full Version : Poor vegan, cheap living

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26 27 28 29

Marrers
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:44 AM
even the worst oatmeal (instant), is still very filling.
I was planning to try to get into a routine of eating oatmeal every day for breakfast but have found when I eat oatmeal (and it is the instant stuff I'm afraid) I feel really hungry within about two hours. I was wondering why this was as everyone says the opposite - any ideas? I have it with soya milk, about 2 tsps of hulled linseeds, a tbsp of omega rich oil and one chopped date.
If I eat a wholemeal pitta bread with some veggie and a bit of houmous I'm fuller for much longer.

I never feel full from soup.
I used to think the same way - if someone served soup as a dinner I'd feel like I hadn't been fed! I'm not sure why or when that changed but I find a large bowl of soup an acceptable meal nowadays.

DiaShel
Jun 21st, 2010, 04:56 AM
is instant oatmeal really that much worse then regular? I mean, it's still 100% rolled oats, isn't it just chopped up?

Marrers, sometimes oatmeal really fills me up and other times, I still feel hungry after I just finish eating it. Lately it hasn't been filling me.

cobweb
Jun 21st, 2010, 08:05 AM
yeah oatmeal/porridge makes me hungry afterwards too Dia
i find muesli filling, its not cheap but probably economical as i only need a small amount

harpy
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I think instant oatmeal/porridge has a higher glycaemic/glycemic index, i.e. the energy in it is processed faster by the body, so it would be more likely to leave you feeling hungry than the traditional stuff.

As this points out you can correct that to some extent by mixing it with other stuff - obviously not milk in our case

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/expert.q.a/06/26/oatmeal.benefits.reheating.jampolis/index.html

With non-instant oatmeal, you can accelerate the cooking process by soaking it overnight I think.

xrodolfox
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:27 AM
How to make oatmeal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT8IaxL6jtg

Watch this. You'll be making the cheapest stuff that fills you up.

Instant has a high glycemic index. It digests very quickly. This occurs because it is "pre-cooked" in a special way. The real stuff will stay with you much longer.

cobweb
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
I also use 'real' oats to make it but it still makes me feel hungry soon afterwards!

Marrers
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:37 AM
I think instant oatmeal/porridge has a higher glycaemic/glycemic index, i.e. the energy in it is processed faster by the body, so it would be more likely to leave you feeling hungry than the traditional stuff.

How to make oatmeal:

Thankyou both. :) Maybe I'll give cooking from scratch a go but I'm not sure if I'll be buying a special device to grind whole groats! (I don't have a coffee mill, would a normal blender work?)

BlackCats
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I find porridge really filling.:) I like soups too but they are more of a winter type food I think.

I have been eating a lot more raw for a week and I have lost 5 lbs.:D Whoo hoo. I have been spending quite a lot on the fruit and veg though so it probably isn't cheap. I'm going to see if I can order an organic box instead.

harpy
Jun 21st, 2010, 12:59 PM
Thankyou both. :) Maybe I'll give cooking from scratch a go but I'm not sure if I'll be buying a special device to grind whole groats! (I don't have a coffee mill, would a normal blender work?)

I think rolled oats might be a reasonable compromise, they are pre-processed to some extent so don't take too long to prepare but still have a moderate Glycaemic Index IIRC - but don't take my word for it...

RubyDuby
Jun 21st, 2010, 03:12 PM
It's better for your metabolism to eat small meals every 3 hours or so anyway.

Good job, BlackCats!

It sucks that fresh veg is so expensive. :hmm: Especially organic... but it's definitely worth it if you can do it!

missbettie
Jun 21st, 2010, 07:24 PM
i love soup, the bad part is it is starting to get hot!! and i'm not really one for cold soup...and the SO doesn't like it...and before you tell me to have him fend for himself, i just can't. if i do that all he eats is crap. can't let him do that. lol and i just feel better when i'm feeding him. he is my babe after all. <3

i'll try oatmeal in the morning. i was eating green smoothies in the morning but i killed my blender, i was seriously waiting for it to go out and it finally did. :D bummer though.

i'm finally starting to drop a few pounds that i shouldn't have had...which is really nice...

DiaShel
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:05 PM
How to make oatmeal:

Watch this. You'll be making the cheapest stuff that fills you up.

Instant has a high glycemic index. It digests very quickly. This occurs because it is "pre-cooked" in a special way. The real stuff will stay with you much longer.

I watched this and I really want to start doing it this way! I like the part where it said you have to add fats to it. No problem! :D I like PB and banana. I just had a bowl with instant, because that's what I have, and I'm still hungry. I'm going to have to get the real stuff.

I'm going to get a coffee mill. I had one before I moved to grind flax seeds. It's also good for spices. It's not expensive at all!

I find porridge really filling.:) I like soups too but they are more of a winter type food I think.

I have been eating a lot more raw for a week and I have lost 5 lbs.:D Whoo hoo. I have been spending quite a lot on the fruit and veg though so it probably isn't cheap. I'm going to see if I can order an organic box instead.

Nice job BC! I just ordered an organic box delivery and my first one is today. BTW- I though people use kg in the UK. :confused: I can't keep it all straight.

It's better for your metabolism to eat small meals every 3 hours or so anyway.

Good job, BlackCats!

It sucks that fresh veg is so expensive. :hmm: Especially organic... but it's definitely worth it if you can do it!

Really? I thought it was really cheap. I haven't gotten one yet, but I got the "family size" and they sent me a list of what would be in it this week and it seems like a lot! Unless they mean apples and there is one. It was $40 NZ which is $30 US so if that's most of my produce for the week that's amazing!! Well, find out today.

i love soup, the bad part is it is starting to get hot!! and i'm not really one for cold soup...and the SO doesn't like it...and before you tell me to have him fend for himself, i just can't. if i do that all he eats is crap. can't let him do that. lol and i just feel better when i'm feeding him. he is my babe after all. <3

i'll try oatmeal in the morning. i was eating green smoothies in the morning but i killed my blender, i was seriously waiting for it to go out and it finally did. bummer though.

i'm finally starting to drop a few pounds that i shouldn't have had...which is really nice...

Such a good girlfriend. I wonder if I can ever put someone's else needs first. I doubt it.. :o

RubyDuby
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:27 PM
I don't know about the boxes. We don't have those deliveries around here, that I know of... I should really find out! I meant in general, like at the store.

missbettie
Jun 21st, 2010, 10:57 PM
Such a good girlfriend. I wonder if I can ever put someone's else needs first. I doubt it.. :o

i never ever thought i'd be this way. i never thought i'd be washing a mans underwear and cleaning up after him without complaint, i'd sooner flip the guy off or walk out....but then i met tweedle dum and for over 5 years now i've been doing it....oh how the mighty have fallin...or it could be that i just love the guy...:confused::rolleyes:

DiaShel
Jun 21st, 2010, 11:31 PM
I don't know about the boxes. We don't have those deliveries around here, that I know of... I should really find out! I meant in general, like at the store.

Oh, misread that sorry. It's too bad they don't have them in NY. I can't find ANY organics around here so this was perfect.

i never ever thought i'd be this way. i never thought i'd be washing a mans underwear and cleaning up after him without complaint, i'd sooner flip the guy off or walk out....but then i met tweedle dum and for over 5 years now i've been doing it....oh how the mighty have fallin...or it could be that i just love the guy...:confused::rolleyes:

This is why love scares the crap out of me :p

BlackCats
Jun 22nd, 2010, 12:39 AM
Good job, BlackCats!

Thanks Ruby.:smile:

I looked up the local organic box schemes and compared it to the supermarkets and the supermarkets came out top in price so I bought a load of organic fruit and veg from Tesco today. Meh.

cobweb
Jun 22nd, 2010, 07:20 AM
I looked up the local organic box schemes and compared it to the supermarkets and the supermarkets came out top in price so I bought a load of organic fruit and veg from Tesco today. Meh.

Yes i very reluctanctly tried it and came out with the same result. If i lived alone i would probably go ahead and use the veg boxes, but as i shop at supermarkets anyway for the rest of our stuff it seemed pointless when i'm on a budget.
This is why i am going down the beans and rice route (cheap), taking a good multi-vit, and having a load of decent veg once a week now.

Jivattatva
Jun 22nd, 2010, 08:33 AM
Hi cobweb

Try to eat more leafy vegetables, beans and lentils and instead of white rice eat basmati rice because it is considered low carb. Reduce your consumption of stuff from flour, like cakes, biscuits etc because they contain too much carbohydrates and oil and eat fruits instead.

harpy
Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:04 AM
instead of white rice eat basmati rice because it is considered low carb.

What do you mean by "considered low carb"? I thought the carbohydrate content of rices was similar, but that basmati rice is supposed to have a lower glycaemic index. Mind you, perhaps we should be discussing this in the rice thread :)

Jivattatva
Jun 22nd, 2010, 09:46 AM
Hi Harpy

Thanks for making me check what I posted, made me look up my Readers Digest book.

Actually the book says that different types of rice have different amount of amylose which is a kind of starch, therefore a carbohydrate.

The amylose content of rice determines its GI index. However there are some type that though they have high amylose content they have low GI and basmati is one of them.

DiaShel
Jun 22nd, 2010, 10:07 AM
The health food store only sells this tiny things of oat grouts at an insanely expensive amount. I got unprocessed rolled oats instead. Man, I was looking forward to grinding my own

kookooforkarma
Jul 14th, 2010, 02:33 AM
i dont have much money but i find it exciting and fun to find creative ways to reduce my spending/dependence on money. some of the things i do:

-buy clothing/shoes strictly from thrift shops. so much more fun than regular shopping in my opinion, and you can find such cool stuff for barely anything.
-not owning a car. if possibly get a used bike and/or walk as much as possible. you will be more fit too! i want to move to a place with less suburban sprawl in the near future so this method becomes even easier.
-using a drying rack, washing clothing with cold water, wearing things over again (spray with febreeze helps, hehe)
-rarely ever eating out
-finding cheap/free fun hobbies (hiking, camping with friends, messing around on used instruments, hanging out at parks, sitting at coffee house for hours conversing about anything and everything, listening to music, cooking at home (instead of going out), not drinking hardly ever, going on cheap day long adventures to anywhere and everywhere)
-not using expensive skin care products. water actually is an awesome cleanser combined with a wash cloth.
-saving change in a jar

ill add more when i think of them

:thumbsup::thumbsup: Two thumbs up! I like your style! :D

Risker
Jul 14th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I decided to save money recently by buying fruit and veg from the market rather than the supermarket. I quickly found out though that it wasn't any cheaper and that I preferred doing my shopping in a place where I didn't have someone yelling "TWO FOR TWO PAHND!" in my ear constantly.

The cheapest option I've found is to visit supermarkets in the evening when all their stuff is reduced the most.

As much as it would be nice if it were true, local shops in general just cannot compete with supermarkets on price, especially once you take in to account reductions, discount vouchers and loyalty cards.

patientia
Jul 14th, 2010, 04:53 PM
My friends and I do most of our grocery shopping in Slovenia. Almost everything is cheaper there than in Croatia. Food VAT in Slovenia is 8.5%, and in Croatia it's 23% (except for bread and animal milk, which is 0%, I don't buy animal milk and I have a bread maker). Also, fruits and vegs are of better quality in Slovenia, here they are often tasteless, rancid, rotten...

convectuoso
Jul 16th, 2010, 04:43 AM
gotta love the supermarkets' "almost out of date" section