PDA

View Full Version : Poor vegan, cheap living

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Roxy
May 26th, 2007, 05:57 AM
My hours have been cut at work and I'm now earning about $200 less per fortnight than I was previously.

I am really bad for opening things, using half, putting it aside and opening something else. Things like condiments, rice, couscous, pasta, salad dressings, shampoo etc.

I've decided to make a more conscious effort to use up what I've already bought before buying any more. Hopefully that will help save a bit and my boyfriend won't get upset at me for having a trillion half used bottles of stuff all over the place. :o

herbwormwood
May 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
My hours have been cut at work and I'm now earning about $200 less per fortnight than I was previously.

I am really bad for opening things, using half, putting it aside and opening something else. Things like condiments, rice, couscous, pasta, salad dressings, shampoo etc.

I've decided to make a more conscious effort to use up what I've already bought before buying any more. Hopefully that will help save a bit and my boyfriend won't get upset at me for having a trillion half used bottles of stuff all over the place. :o

I too huy new before I have finished the one I'm using. However as I don't like to waste anything I always get the last drop out before I throw it away.
Toothpaste: When I am unable to squeeze any more out of it I cut the top off the tube and there is usually a fair bit left inside the top part, which I can use! I stop it drying out by putting it in a plastic bag (recycled of course). I do the same with tubes of moisturiser or anything in a tube, it lasts a few days longer. If it is in bottle I add water and shake it up. Then I get a few more uses out of it. I usually use the Lush solid shampoo bars, they last a few months and its possible to use it right to the last tiny piece! Lush have a special offer at the moment with the bags. If you take your used bag in every time you go and get it stamped you get a free bar of soap on the 4th visit.
Maybe this has been discussed before but I started saving a lot of money when I stopped trying to buy meals out, like when at work, on the road etc. Taking a "bait box" (packed lunch) is so much cheaper and more convenient too.

Roxy
May 26th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for the tips about the tubes herbwormwood! Lush had the same deal going here, and I got a free bath bomb on my 4th visit with my "Happy Returns" bag :)

pat sommer
May 28th, 2007, 12:20 PM
Anyone using Freecycle forum? Can't get any cheaper than free!
and Herbwormwood, slowcookers are well insulated and use very little energy (161).

BlackCats
May 28th, 2007, 12:36 PM
I haven't used freecycle yet. Have you donated/received anything good?

I have expunged my house of loads of clutter but have given lots of stuff to charity shops. I think if I did freecycle I would be tempted to fill my house back up with stuff.

Gliondrach
May 28th, 2007, 03:37 PM
Maybe this has been discussed before but I started saving a lot of money when I stopped trying to buy meals out, like when at work, on the road etc. Taking a "bait box" (packed lunch) is so much cheaper and more convenient too.

Yes, taking your bait to work is much cheaper. And you know what's in it. And you can avoid having to mingle with obnoxious people if you prefer to eat alone. I always eat alone - not always out of choice.

If I was going anywhere for the day I would take my own food. I scrape tahini jars and jam jars with a knife to get every last bit out. I also find that buying fruit and veg from small fruit and veg shops is cheaper than buying it in supermarkets. I try to avoid supermarkets as they are all owned by the Devil.

I never put the heating on. If it's cold I wear an old jacket. I didn't need it this Winter, except on a couple of days. People are too used to too much heat.

horselesspaul
May 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM
I haven't used freecycle yet. Have you donated/received anything good?

I have expunged my house of loads of clutter but have given lots of stuff to charity shops. I think if I did freecycle I would be tempted to fill my house back up with stuff.
I used to use the Freecycle list here in Brighton until I got fed up with the moderators nabbing all the best stuff.
I discovered this when putting up some nice stuff to take away and received replies before it ever made the Yahoo list. I checked, and the offenders were mods.
NFM now.

BlackCats
May 28th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Horselesspaul - I have read about other people on websites being annoyed about freecycle.
Some entrepreneurial (or selfish) people go on freecycle and then sell things on at car boots or ebay etc.
Its a nice idea in theory but I suppose some people will always be greedy.

I think its a good idea if you have something to get rid of that would end up in a dump as it lets someone be creative and use it themselves.

horselesspaul
May 28th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Horselesspaul - I have read about other people on websites being annoyed about freecycle.
Some entrepreneurial (or selfish) people go on freecycle and then sell things on at car boots or ebay etc.
Its a nice idea in theory but I suppose some people will always be greedy.

I think its a good idea if you have something to get rid of that would end up in a dump as it lets someone be creative and use it themselves.

I think it's a great idea when done as an unmoderated Yahoo list with items given away to the first respondant, as a general rule.
I have passed on some good stuff to people who needed it in the past.
It's all gone Pete Tong here now sadly. imo.

Gorilla
May 28th, 2007, 06:22 PM
i've mostly used the Brighton Freecycle to get rid of things, but i've found people aren't interested in what i'm offering any more because none of it is financially valuable. on the rare occasions i've tried to get hold of something i needed it was always gone as soon as it was offered. it's a shame because it's a good idea.

pat sommer
May 28th, 2007, 10:19 PM
I do more giving then getting. I have stuff outgrown by my little one that I wait for a 'wanted' post to give away (to avoid disappointing folks).

I got some things for new kitty and a better bed for my child.

It helps to live near a posh area :D

JustMe
May 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM
...So I have to start shopping in Lidl again. The stuff is fine but it bothers me greatly that it's not organic...
Our local Lidl has a selection of organic fruit and vegetables. They seem to be having more frequent deliveries now and the stuff's been okay. Just wish they'd keep some of the fruit and vegetables chilled where required.

herbwormwood
May 29th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Have you found Lidl own brand choco and plain soya milk?

JustMe
May 29th, 2007, 01:40 PM
i've mostly used the Brighton Freecycle to get rid of things, but i've found people aren't interested in what i'm offering any more because none of it is financially valuable. on the rare occasions i've tried to get hold of something i needed it was always gone as soon as it was offered. it's a shame because it's a good idea.
Freecycle's a good idea but in our experience is being exploited by people more interested in finding stuff to resell than saving the environment. We're in the process of having a serious sort-out and have come off Freecycle in favour of taking the next car-load of stuff to the local charity shops.

JustMe
May 29th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Have you found Lidl own brand choco and plain soya milk?
Yes. My hubby says the plain version is okay on his cereal. I told our son about the chocolate flavour and he now buys this for himself when doing his food shopping. I have to be in the mood for soya milk on cereal but do enjoy a banana blitzed in the liquidizer with some soya milk.

cobweb
May 29th, 2007, 05:06 PM
mMM, that Lidl choc-milk is gorgeous :)

BlackCats
May 29th, 2007, 06:48 PM
I have switched today to buying food online from Waitrose to Tesco.
I bought loads of value stuff and got about 3-4 times the amount of food for the same money.

pat sommer
May 29th, 2007, 10:02 PM
can't blame you, Aphrodite but I can't bare to support the Tesco juggernaut.

BlackCats
May 30th, 2007, 12:38 AM
Yeah, I had switched from Tesco to Waitrose because it was supposed to be greener and more ethical, then realised we had no money and I ate through the food in one week instead of two so I switched back.

pat sommer
May 30th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Fair enough, I wince when I see the veg prices. So just some tins and paper goods, not much else at Waitrose. The rest comes mostly from my local-4-generation green grocer where I can ask on a Saturday if they want to get rid of the peppers at a good price. Result: 16 organic peppers for £1.60 are now roasted and pureed in the fridge for sauces...

Frosty
Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Just me - I've been having a bit of a problem with the freecycle thing recently, there seems to be too many people on there (certainly in the Cardiff area anyway) that are putting 'Wanted' ads up there instead of people trying to actually use it as a recycling source. There's even adverts up for 'Wanted: XBox 360 games.' Find it bad, personally.

Aphrodite - I have been considering trying out the Tesco online shopping service. I don't drive, and the nearest shop to me is a Sainsbury's Central (expensive, and not very well stocked). I have heard some people say that the quality of veg you get from the online shopping is quite poor though cos you're basically getting the dregs they didn't sell in the store. What's your experience with the shopping, if you don't mind me asking?

cobweb
Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
^ sorry to butt in, Frosty, but I use it often (Tesco home delivery) and have never had a problem with the fresh stuff. However, if you don't like what they bring, you can check it and refuse it at the door, or ring and complain/e-mail and complain, and get an instant refund (same if something is missing but paid for).

I always google around for 'Tesco voucher codes' - you can often find virtual money-off vouchers which entitle you to £5 off if you spend £50, thus paying the delivery charge + ;) . I actually spend less online because you can browse around more easily and don't get swayed from what you need :) .

cedarblue
Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:46 PM
with online shopping don't you still find you've forgotten something, then go to the supermarket, then spend some more ££££??

cobweb
Jun 3rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
No, never, because I start my shopping, pay for it, book the delivery, etc, a few days in advance, then keep going back and adding things that pop into my head, so by the time it arrives I've covered everything! :D .

Now if I actually do the shopping myself I get fed up and leave before I've remembered it all, or I can't find things and give up! :( .

Frosty
Jun 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
Cheers for the info cobweb :) Esp about the vouchers. Good thinking about booking the delivery few days after as well, I am bound to forget something! :)

x