PDA

View Full Version : Poor vegan, cheap living

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Mystic
Jun 21st, 2004, 12:48 AM
Hey guys...:p
I am a parentless uni student, who supports herself, and up until recently, I have been lazy and have been living off expensive pre-packaged vegan meals coz I can't be stuffed cooking. Now that has to change coz I can't afford to pay for those things anymore. I know what is cheap...so this is what I keep at home as staples:

- Rolled oats, mini wheats (wholewheat), brown rice, wholewheat couscous, wholegrain bread, olive oil, yellow split peas, red lentils, chickpeas, rice milk (with calcium), orange juice (with calcium), natural peanut butter, sultanas, dried apricots, prunes, rice cakes, vegemite (yeast extract), jam, canned fruit snacks (like peaches and apple puree), apples, bananas, lemons/limes, oranges, pears...if they are cheap then strawberries and kiwifruit etc...also basic veggies like potatos, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatos, lettuce, cucumber, avocado, carrots and capsicum...I can;t afford to buy greens, although I love stirfry. Sometimes as a treat, dried mango and pineapple!!!!

Anyway, the only thing I know how to cook is a mean dhal...but I doubt I can live off dhal and rice forever...so does anyone have any ideas on cooking batches of stuff for dinner, or cheap meals ... also for sandwiches...I also can't live off peanut butter/vegemite/jam/avocado...I am not very tolerant of nuts in large amounts! I love indian food and would love to know more vegan indian bean/pulse recipes (no coconut please - I hate coconut and I also hate tofu/soy - and no sugar coz I have blood sugar issues from my anorexia)

Thanks heaps

julieruble
Jun 28th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Okay, this is a little tangent to your question. Can you describe what a dhal is? You mentioned a chickpea dhal -- sounds Indian, and I'm always craving Indian food. What is it, and how do you make it, if you don't mind me asking?

Mystic
Jun 29th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Dhal is an indian dish and very easy to make (and cheap too).

I make two sorts - a split pea based one and a lentil based one. To those, you can add any type of vegetable or bean you want for variation. Here are the recipes:
DHAL 1

à 1 cup yellow split peas

à 3 cups water

à 2 tsp oil (olive)

à 1 onion, chopped

à 2 garlic cloves, crushed

à 1 tsp grated ginger

à 1 tsp ground turmeric

à 1 tsp ground cumin

à 1 tsp ground cardamom

1. Put split peas plus water in a rice cooker, and cook until the split peas are soft and mushy

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add water if it gets too dry.

3. Once the split peas are soft, add the onion mixture and keep cooking for 15 minutes. Season with salt and chilli to taste

DHAL 2

à 1 cup red lentils

à 3 cups water

à 2 tsp oil (olive)

à 1 onion, chopped

à 2 garlic cloves, crushed

à 1 tsp grated ginger

à ½ tsp yellow mustard seeds

à 1 tsp ground cumin

à 1 tsp ground coriander

à 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice

1. Put lentils plus water in a rice cooker and cook until the lentils are soft and mushy

2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a pan and fry the onion, garlic, ginger and spices. Add water if it gets too dry.

3. Once the lentils are soft, add the onion mixture and keep cooking for 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and season with salt and chilli to taste.

julieruble
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:24 PM
mm sounds delicious. I'm also a lentil nut, so I'll have to try it! Thanks!

cedarblue
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Hey guys...:p
I am a parentless uni student, who supports herself, and up until recently, I have been lazy and have been living off expensive pre-packaged vegan meals coz I can't be stuffed cooking. Now that has to change coz I can't afford to pay for those things anymore. I know what is cheap...so this is what I keep at home as staples:

- Rolled oats, mini wheats (wholewheat), brown rice, wholewheat couscous, wholegrain bread, olive oil, yellow split peas, red lentils, chickpeas, rice milk (with calcium), orange juice (with calcium), natural peanut butter, sultanas, dried apricots, prunes, rice cakes, vegemite (yeast extract), jam, canned fruit snacks (like peaches and apple puree), apples, bananas, lemons/limes, oranges, pears...if they are cheap then strawberries and kiwifruit etc...also basic veggies like potatos, onions, garlic, ginger, tomatos, lettuce, cucumber, avocado, carrots and capsicum...I can;t afford to buy greens, although I love stirfry. Sometimes as a treat, dried mango and pineapple!!!!

Anyway, the only thing I know how to cook is a mean dhal...but I doubt I can live off dhal and rice forever...so does anyone have any ideas on cooking batches of stuff for dinner, or cheap meals ... also for sandwiches...I also can't live off peanut butter/vegemite/jam/avocado...I am not very tolerant of nuts in large amounts! I love indian food and would love to know more vegan indian bean/pulse recipes (no coconut please - I hate coconut and I also hate tofu/soy - and no sugar coz I have blood sugar issues from my anorexia)

Thanks heaps

try this banana, you can cook loads of it as it keeps and eat it in a baked pototo or with rice or couscous or pasta, its good cold too and its got an indian-based flavour:

chickpeas with ginger and tomato - check the recipe on the recipe post :D

Sabster
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:37 PM
I love cooking and general experimenting:) I have several cookbooks and they serve as excellent inspirational tools for meals. So, the general advice would be to grab a good cookbook or two and go from there. There are plenty of well done budgetable cookbooks out there. Or, try major veg sites like vegetariantimes.com ... subscribing on the site is free and it gives you access to a lot of recipes... I think you can throw in ingredients you are looking to cook and search that way.

Red pasta is a relatively cheap meal that you can have plain or get pretty creative with. Also, for snacksa hummus and baba ghanoush (eggplant dip) are great with pita bread and relativelly inexpensive. For a variation you can add in tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, etc ... to the pita wrap with either hummus or eggplant dip... a tasty fulling and nutritious meal.

Home made soups are also good and not too expensive. Peanut butter is great with bagels, on whole wheat bread, etc.

beforewisdom
Aug 14th, 2004, 02:51 AM
Want to eat veg*n and save money?

Someone recently told me about this interesting site:

http://cheapvegan.cjb.net/

snivelingchild
Sep 16th, 2004, 03:32 AM
Any other poor vegans out there who resort to eating the worst thing when they can't afford groceries?
Last week, before I got some grocery money, I found myself eating white bread hot dog bun dipped in barbeque sauce!!! :(
I'm so ashamed...

foxytina_69
Sep 16th, 2004, 05:29 AM
yes i know where youre coming from. when i become really low on money i resort to eating all canned foods. (home canned, like beets and other veggies) learning how to can foods is very very good for people who are poor! my mom always taught me that.

it doesnt matter what u eat, it matters that youre atleast EATING and not starving. :)

John
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:35 AM
Rice and beans are affordable and probably more healthy. And how about potatoes?

snivelingchild
Sep 16th, 2004, 06:58 AM
My point was that hot dog buns and barbeque sauce was all that was left in the apartment at the time.

Mystic
Sep 16th, 2004, 12:51 PM
I am a poor vegan student and I know that food is really expensive - even basics. So I make the most of it, these are the foods I live off and make sure that in my cupboard I always have:
- Oatmeal
- Brown rice
- Lentils
- Split peas
- Chickpeas
- Wholegrain bread
- Tahini
- Potatoes
- Onions
- Garlic
- Ginger
- Carrots
- Salad vegetables (Lettuce, tomato, cucumber)
- Bananas
- Apples
- Oranges
- Cheap dried fruit like sultanas or apricots or dates
- Avocado
- Flaxseed oil (Both avocado and flaxseed oil are not cheap, but they are VERY important addition to the vegan diet - and flaxseed oil lasts ages - I have been taking 7.5ml per day)

I also try to keep pasta and a pasta sauce on hand, as well as a can of baked beans strictly for emergency dinners.

Any spare money, I buy more exotic fresh and dried fruit and vegetables, other dried beans and wholewheat couscous and invest in stuff like vegan junky foods, Indian pickle, fresh hummus and specialty bread.

I used to live off baked beans on toast, spaghetti with sauce from the jar and peanut butter sandwiches. But I was so unhealthy. It is really important, not just for vegans, who are poor, to eat maximum nutrition for the lowest price - and you cannot beat dried beans and brown rice for serving that purpose.

You can make so much from beans that lasts a few days - I like lentils and split peas coz they cook quick, and my uni limits the amount of time I can spend in the kitchen.

I take my lunch to uni/work every day. I make avocado and salad or tahini and salad rolls/sandwiches and pack fresh fruit and carrot sticks and sometimes dried fruit or fruit leather.

Oatmeal for breakky is one of the healthiest things you can do for your body at a very low cost. (I pay $3 per week for my oatmeal) - stick some sliced banana and chopped dates on it and it is delicious!

I hope I have helped.

harpy
Sep 16th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Wow, Banana - you must be the healthiest student in the world. Actually your store cupboard sounds pretty similar to ours so I don't feel sorry for you being hard up ;) Wish I'd been as sensible when I was a student - I don't even like to think about what I ate in those days.

Trendygirl
Oct 10th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Has anyone heard of ‘Freegans’ and dumpster diving?

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 10th, 2004, 08:20 PM
Yes. There is talk of them on a thread somewhere...many "Freegans" eat non-vegan foods if they don't have to pay for them, as some are "Ecological Vegans" who simply don't want to contribute money to the death-industries. ( They aren't actually "Vegan" in my book...)

Trendygirl
Oct 10th, 2004, 09:08 PM
Thanks! I found the dumpster diving link : )

Yeah I know, but some are. I read a book called Evasion which is available on www.crimethinc.com. The guy who wrote it talks about his vegan/freegan life, travelling around America. I would never eat non vegan food just because it is free but I can in a way understand why some do, however I am sure that there is enough free vegan food out there so the so called vegans who eat non vegan food because it would end up in the ground, are just looking for an excuse to eat flesh.

Thanks for mentioning that not all freegans are vegan as not many people know about much about it.

wuggy
Oct 10th, 2004, 09:11 PM
I used to live with a vegan who never bought any food - he was always round the back of Sainsburys, in the skip every night!
I had no objections, he only nicked vegan items, but it wasn't always very frash or nutritious!!

trudatman
Oct 10th, 2004, 11:04 PM
I find myself poor almost always. I usually end up buying two-dollar items at the local Stop e Shop. $2: not from concentrate Canadian apple juice, natural apple sauce, Teddy peanut butter... not much of a meal, not much in the way of being nutritionally complete. It is a struggle to be poor. I am lucky to live in a relatively enlightened area; I feel for those in slums with only corner bodegas to shop at. If I set up a post office box, would rich vegans send me food money?

Andie
Oct 11th, 2004, 12:49 AM
Sniverling Child,
I really admire the way you stick with being a vegan, down to buns and bbq sauce. I wish you lived close by, I'd invite you over for some fresh veggies.

Mystic
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:22 AM
I thought it would be a good idea if we had a thread about cheap vegan living. It seems that most of us here are definately not rich, and it would be cool if we could share ideas and tips on how to save money/get by and be a tightass :p

From the top of my head, things I do to be cheap are:
- use dried beans, not canned
- cook from scratch, enough for a couple of days
- freeze bread and only take it as I need it, so none gets wasted
- feed Odi leftovers and his own cooked meals made from older unused vegetables from the week, plus rice/barley etc...
- have an idea what we are going to eat for the week and have a shopping list that we CANNOT stray from

Mystic
Jan 19th, 2005, 03:25 AM
Oh and I use my Coles/Myer discount card (Aussies will know this) coz I work at Coles :)

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 19th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Sprouting your own Living Foods (as long as you don't then drop them all over the floor and the sleeping dog's back, like I did yesterday!! :D )

Roxy
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:15 AM
What did you say when you did it PFC? :D

foxytina_69
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:31 AM
LOL ive dropped things on the dogs back before by accident.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 19th, 2005, 07:48 AM
What did you say when you did it PFC? :D

I said a couple of short words (each containing four letters!).
Dog wasn't too impressed - she's not keen on Sprouted Chickpeas! :D