PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Research

mintchoccochip
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:09 AM
Hey, I want to be a vegan and I was wondering where you all research stuff at because I mean my mom doesnt want to spend alot of money on special food for me because she doesnt agree with it (i mean she will spend some...just not alot). anyways...ive been trying to research and im not having much luck like finding out what is vegan at my regular grocery store...we have an organic aisle but its confusing and the ingredients have such big words...i can never tell what they are and if their animal or not...do you guys have any ideas? or what to stay away from besides meat, eggs, milk, cheese and that kind of stuff? or any good sites...well, thanks a bunch
~mary

p.s....i read on peta that wonderbread is vegan? it is right?? it just doesnt seem like it...

Mystic
Apr 27th, 2005, 03:17 AM
What about beans and grains and stuff? They are cheap - very cheap. Maybe you could look up recipes together and find ones you like?

mintchoccochip
Apr 27th, 2005, 03:23 AM
yes thats a good idea, im in the US but do you know any brands that are are good that might be sold everywhere?

Kiva Dancer
Apr 27th, 2005, 07:02 PM
The best I can offer is to start learning those long ingredient words. There are several lists around that tells which is vegan and which is not. Some of the most common animal ingredients in US are: gelatin, whey, sodium casinate (from milk), casinate, anything with milk in the word (non-fat milk powder, buttermilk, etc), rennin or rennit, carmine or cochineal and vitamin D3. There's more, but this is a good start for now.

For food items.... peta has a list of "accidentally vegan" items but that list isn't very trustworthy in itself. I use it as a guide only and still check the lables.

Most stores will either have a bean and grain aisle or bulk bins. If you have bulk bins, buy from there. The stuff's usually cheaper and there's no packaging to mess with. If you don't, then it will probably be on the aisle with the flavoured rices (most of those are not vegan, but there are a few that are - check lables). The dried beans will usually be with the canned beans, but some stores put it with the rices. Most canned beans are vegan but again, check lables.

Yes, it all goes back to reading the lables. Every vegan had to learn those impossible names so you might as well too. It will make things easier in the long run, believe me.

A lot of people here don't use a lot of special foods and really, IMO, they're not needed. Many of them are expensive and chock-full of things you don't want to eat. Whole foods is much better for you and easier on the budget, too.

DianeVegan
May 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
If you are in the US and your mother makes mostly prepared food, then she's correct - vegan prepared food is more expensive. Why? Because the meat/dairy and egg industries are directly and indirectly subsidized (paid in part) by the government. Also, very cheap processed ingredients, laced with chemicals, are used in prepared foods (soy oil, corn syrup, white flour, etc) are in most prepared foods.

I cook for my husband and stepchildren 6 nights a week - the only processed food in my house is pasta and the occasional loaf of bread or vegan patty. Since we went vegan, my food bill dropped tremendously.

You are in a very tight spot since you are 14. It's difficult for an adult to change the opinion of another adult. You'll need to be strong. And you will also need to pay close attention to nutrition.

You will need to take B12 (it's in most multivitamins) and calcium. You will also need to learn where to get your protein and iron (you should also take this as a supplement). Why all the supplements, you ask? No, not because you are now vegan but because most Americans don't know enough about nutrition to get all their vits and minerals each day.

Go to your local library and try to find books on veganism or even vegetarianism. A great one is "Becoming Vegan" by Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina.

Instead of Wonder Bread (which has no nutrional value and reacts in your bloodstream like processed sugar), how about Food for Life bread? It's only $3 at Trader Joe's and each slice has about 4 grams of complete protein plus fiber, etc. You won't find that in any wonder bread. Plus, they even have cinnamon raisin.

As mentioned above, don't get hung up on all the little ingredients in non-food items yet. We all had to take this one step at a time.

By the way, what state do you live in? Is there a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods Market, etc. If you give us that information we may be able to give you the names of some brands.

snaffler
May 10th, 2005, 03:13 PM
It's hard to point you in th right direction as UK and US foods differ alot that is one reason why we should always refer to lists on websites in country as their is country to country variation.

But should you ever come across Hovis bread 99% of the range is vegan
Redwood Foods all vegan
if you want some cooking ideas go to these place they are great
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/
http://www.catteacorner.com/recipes.htm

:)

DoveInGreyClothing
May 11th, 2005, 12:00 AM
I thoroughly recommend buying The Vegan Sourcebook by Joanne Stepaniak as it is a bible to all things vegan from nutrition to what to avoid to ethics.
http://www.vegsource.com/jo/
Have a look at her website too for further info, there's links to buy her books there too.