PDA

View Full Version : Nutrition Data tool

veganblue
Apr 27th, 2005, 02:51 PM
http://www.nutritiondata.com/index.html

This site has a very powerful and extensive database of nutrition information that is largely customiseable and helps answer questions of what is in a food type, how much and allows you to build an entire nutrition panel for your meal if you so desire.

It lists a load of non-vegan foods but for comparison this can be a great way of answering peoples enquiries about how much nutrition they are getting.

I could go on but have a look - there is no nonsense, has some good dietry advice and is a very clear format.

John
Apr 27th, 2005, 06:54 PM
I've been to that site. You would think that a site called "nutritional data" would have ingredients.

Kiva Dancer
Apr 27th, 2005, 08:10 PM
I love this site. It actually tells you how much of something you're eating and it's in real numbers - not percentages. Love that. I also love the other cool tools it has on there, too. I'm with veganblue on this one - check out this site. It's the best for nutritional information, IMO.

veganblue
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:25 AM
I've been to that site. You would think that a site called "nutritional data" would have ingredients.

:D I don't think it can do *everything*... I think that it depends on which direction that you are approaching this - I come from the "I have the 'raw'ingredients; what's in them nutritionally" so that I can combine them into my diet in useful quantities.

It's all very well thinking that oranges are a good source of Vitamin C; but how much should I include in my diet? One orange, one litre of juice?

I find it useful to look up things like soy milks, tempeh and tofu, working out essential amino acid balances in pulses and what things contain high levels of trace elements.

There is a pantry feature where the site sets a cookie on your computer to referrence the things that you save based upon what you are most interested in. Makes it easy for quick referrence.

littleTigercub
May 2nd, 2005, 11:22 AM
I love www.fitday.com.

It tells you exactly how much calories, fat, protein and carbs you have but also and most importantly if you get sufficient nutrients.

As I have just changed my diet, I key in my foods every day at present to check that I am not deficient.

Interestingly, I am now lacking less nutrients than I did when I was lacto ovo vegetarian.

littleTigercub