PDA

View Full Version : Convenience Foods

Pages : [1] 2

Mystic
Apr 27th, 2005, 11:02 PM
When you resort to convenience foods, what do you opt for? I have been resorting to these more often lately (lazy and cbf), and I have been going for vegan pies (they are handmade and not overly processed), vacuum sealed soups, veggie burgers and patties and pasta with bottled sauce.

effulgent
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Clif bars, definitely, and I have been known on more than one occassion to have a Chili Pie for a quick, easy dinner.

Recipe (for those of you who might not have eaten this Southern concession stand delicacy):

Layer the bowl with these ingredients, in this order -
-Organic non-GMO corn chips (Frito's styled corn chips)
-Amy's Medium-heat vegetarian chili or other canned vegetarian chili that has been warmed on the stove
-Organic Heinz ketchup
-Tofutti's Better 'N Sour Cream

Drink a beer with it, it tastes nummier that way. And, as long as we're being naughty, it's always fun when I finish off the meal with Newman-O's.

To quote Stewie, how deliciously white trash.

bulletproof
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:44 PM
dude you're making me hungry :eek:

Artichoke47
Apr 28th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Seeds of Change rice dishes every once and a while.

Soy Boy ravioli.

Tofu and/or tempeh.

Toffui Better than Cream Cheese every once and a while, if I have something to make it with.

I'm sure there are a few miscellaneous others.

Kim[ba]
Apr 28th, 2005, 07:18 PM
Oatmeal, PB&J, Spagetti ... probably not the most healthy choices but I eat those a lot :)

Roxy
Apr 29th, 2005, 07:52 AM
Seeds of Change rice dishes every once and a while.

I tried one of these for the first time, not that long ago. I was quite impressed!

snaffler
Apr 29th, 2005, 08:52 AM
A local bakery sales vegan wholemeal pastys which I get once in a bluemoon, the other fast food I live off are bananas.

Kiva Dancer
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:47 AM
canned vegetarian chili
ramen
amy's burritos
pbjs

DianeVegan
Apr 30th, 2005, 12:37 PM
This isn't technically "junk food" but when we make a cake, cookies, muffins, etc. we freeze half of them for moments of intense craving.

DoveInGreyClothing
May 1st, 2005, 01:01 AM
I contacted Linda McCartney foods helpline and was informed 4 of their lines were vegan- sausage rolls, mini sausage rolls, deep country pies and country slices. Redwoods deli are quick and easy with salad(esp. ready to eat bags).
If I'm in a hurry I usually make a stir fry with tofu and/or mixed veg (either fresh or frozen bags available in most supermarkets for convenience) and a bit of soy sauce to flavour.

littleTigercub
May 2nd, 2005, 11:20 AM
Hendersons, our local vegetarian health food store/restaurant make delicious pates which you can buy in tubs to take away. I love their bean pate and lentil and apricot pate and buy them a lot to have on sandwiches. I make hummous and guacemole myself but buy a lot of convenient bean salads etc and fake meats.

I don`t like pasties at all so they are safe...

littleTigercub

bittersweet
May 3rd, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hendersons, our local vegetarian health food store/restaurant make delicious pates which you can buy in tubs to take away. I love their bean pate and lentil and apricot pate and buy them a lot to have on sandwiches. I make hummous and guacemole myself but buy a lot of convenient bean salads etc and fake meats.

I don`t like pasties at all so they are safe...

littleTigercub

I was in Hendersons at the weekend, whilst visiting Edinburgh - was disappointed that they made a lot of their salads with eggy mayo - and looked confused at me when I asked, as if it weren't possible to get vegan stuff...not a lot of choices in mains either, although what my partner had looked great (I couldn't eat it cause of onion issues!)...the fruit pie and soya cream for desert made up for a lot though.... If I get up again, I'll have to pop into the deli bit...

Tigerlily
May 3rd, 2005, 01:49 PM
I like making food from scratch, but sometimes that's not possible. So I rely on some convience foods.

Mock Meats: I'm not a big fan but in a pinch soy salami slices make a good, quick school lunch for a sandwhich. And frozen veggie burgers are good from when I come home hungry and there's nothing else that I can make quick. But I'm thinking of making my own, homemade veggie burger patties and freezing. Cheaper!

Juices: I don't have the armpower or patience to squeeze all those oranges or the money to buy a fancy juicer. I buy bottled orange juice. But I shouldn't be drinking orange juice....I have a "food sensitivity" to citrus fruit. I also like cranberry juice.

Oatmeal: I tried making homemade oatmeal and add my own toppings but it's not the same as the instant flavoured stuff.

Prepackaged Soups: I'm lazy. The end. :P

Evilfluffbunny
May 3rd, 2005, 06:41 PM
I've been awful lately for relying on convenience foods. :( I eat a lot of vegan burger type things (schnitzels, cutlets, chicken bites, fishless fishcakes etc) and I usually have them with potato waffles and baked beans. I usually cook more but I've been busy lately, I have to get started again as I don't think it's a good idea to rely on pre-made foods too much.

When I'm in town on Saturdays, I usually get a couple of veggie samosas or a pastie from (I think) Jordan Valley - they make sausage rolls, mexican chili pasties and stuff like that.

Gorilla
May 3rd, 2005, 08:20 PM
i sometimes buy Clive's Pies which are a delicious range of handmade pies with loads of different varities, nearly all vegan. i also occasionally eat Redwoods sausages and fish-style fingers, ready-made spring rolls, onion bhajis and samosas, tinned soups and organic pasta sauces.

Lily
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:36 AM
Does anybody know why the Co-op's vegetable samosas don't say 'suitable for vegans' any more? I went to buy some a couple of weeks ago but thought I'd better not if it doesn't say :(, even though there didn't seem to be anything dodgy in the ingredients list :confused:

the_marmite_kid
Oct 25th, 2005, 11:58 AM
does anywhere sell vegan friendly raviolli? sainsburys used to a while back but had a moment of inspiration and decided it would be better with whey powder or something in it and i miss it. :(

Hemlock
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I miss crisps - they've all got milk proteins in :( Are there any vegan crisps?

Mr Flibble
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:22 PM
does anywhere sell vegan friendly raviolli? sainsburys used to a while back but had a moment of inspiration and decided it would be better with whey powder or something in it and i miss it. :(

Both Biona and Danival (imported by Clearspring) sell it. It isn't very good thou, I'm getting myself a ravioli mould soon because I think i can do better.

Kumem
Oct 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Does anybody know why the Co-op's vegetable samosas don't say 'suitable for vegans' any more? I went to buy some a couple of weeks ago but thought I'd better not if it doesn't say :(, even though there didn't seem to be anything dodgy in the ingredients list :confused:

Depends which ones you looked at - the mini or the normal ones. The normal ones in my place have never been vegan, but the mini ones. Not sure why - maybe different suppliers?

Regarding crisps, I think hula hoops plain and salt and vinegar are vegan. Also Frisps, Walkers Chicken flavour. I don't like crisps, but last time I checked they were fine.

Roxy
Oct 26th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I have been eating too many vegan convenience foods lately. I haven't had the time to create healthy meals myself and the convenience foods have just been too easy. :o

Kiva Dancer
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:54 AM
I also like Amy's burritos. The non-dairy bean one (vegan, the last I checked). Quite good for quick food. :)

abrennan
Nov 5th, 2005, 01:57 AM
I miss crisps - they've all got milk proteins in :( Are there any vegan crisps?

Do you have Pringles

In Australia the plain ones are Vegan

Usually the ones that claim to be handcooked are often Vegan

treehugga
Nov 5th, 2005, 02:01 AM
In australia we have veggie chips which are yum.

I am ashamed I have eaten hot chips 4 x this week :o Due to a cold I have become complacent :)

Make your own chips by thinly slicing potatoes with peeler and deep frying them easy peasy :)

Nadine
Nov 7th, 2005, 12:14 AM
I love Redwood deli falafels. I also have a weakness for chocolate and ice-cream (any, so long as lt's vegan ;) ).
I do love crisps too but try not to eat them often and I usually avoid Walkers cos they dragged their heels over reducing the animal products in Cheese n'onion.