PDA

View Full Version : vegan multivitamin (s)

Pages : 1 2 [3]

lauren rae
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:34 AM
So guys...what kind of vegan multi-vitamins can I find in the US? I'm in design school so that equals not much time to fix up well-balanced meals everyday, so I need something to help make up for that.

snaffler
Jan 18th, 2006, 11:28 AM
Everyone should make their own decision on Multi-Vitamins, I consider I eat very well but through the winter my imune system is always low due, simply because I am no big fan of winter and it seems to have this effect on me.

I started taking multi-vits some time but I have always thought through self learning that any new vit taken is best done for 3 months, then take a month off . Note all changes and personal well being.

But also take into account all other circumstances of life such as work load, stress etc, all will play a part.

I always take these ones
http://www.questvitamins.co.uk/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=2964&cat=14&page=1

They have proven great benifit to me as a person.

Morna
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:32 PM
I'm still taking non-vegan vitamins (that I had before I went vegetarian) because I don't believe in wasting things, and since they are opened, I can't give them away. As soon as I run out, I'm going to get some vegan ones.

RedWellies
Jan 18th, 2006, 12:53 PM
I buy my Deva glucosamine from here http://www.gvtc.co.uk/deva_vits.html
They do multi-vit supplements too. P and P is cheap.

Snaffler, have you tried Aloe-Vera juice? I'm trying it this winter to boost my immune system. Also, Echinacea is good for colds/flu/being run down. (I worry about overdosing on vits so very rarely take supplements.)

Pob
Jan 18th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised they have no vitamin D in them - or do you get this from fortified soya milk?

Everyone should make their own decision on Multi-Vitamins, I consider I eat very well but through the winter my imune system is always low due, simply because I am no big fan of winter and it seems to have this effect on me.

I always take these ones
http://www.questvitamins.co.uk/xcart/customer/product.php?productid=2964&cat=14&page=1

They have proven great benifit to me as a person.

snaffler
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:22 PM
I'm surprised they have no vitamin D in them - or do you get this from fortified soya milk?

When you get them Rob they have a label that explains why no D on them, the process for getting D quest use is Veggie not Vegan so they do not inclide it.

Which I think is good that they explain why.

As for D I eat a breakfast cerial that is vegan with a good RDA of D in.

RedWellies I do use Echinacea it has made a difference this winter, thanks, but not tried alo juice, I know where to get it, I will give it a shot.

Many thanks

puffin
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:30 PM
My husband came back from H&B with 100 iron tablets for me. I have been really tired lately so he decided to get them to see if it stops me trying to fall asleep during the day. I believe its due to my age though ;)

maya
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Are you trying to make me feel old? We are almost the same age.

My husband came back from H&B with 100 iron tablets for me. I have been really tired lately so he decided to get them to see if it stops me trying to fall asleep during the day. I believe its due to my age though ;)

puffin
Jan 18th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Are you trying to make me feel old? We are almost the same age.
Not at all, you dont need me to make you feel old:D Ok maybe its the kids then, they have a way of using all my energy while they sit there :rolleyes:
I have felt a little better since taking them though.

maya
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
When I dont exercise or if I dont drink enough water, I feel tired.

Not at all, you dont need me to make you feel old:D Ok maybe its the kids then, they have a way of using all my energy while they sit there :rolleyes:
I have felt a little better since taking them though.

northwind-curry
Jan 18th, 2006, 04:58 PM
:D-vitamin of sunlight is limited down here in north for short summer-period. I take multivitamins, to be sure of D and B-12. I think i cant o.d. on those. I dont believe in the ancestors-natural-lifestyle thing. I do many things that they did not, i eat more hygienic food(you can get b-12 from dirt). And the expected lifetime has grown from since, nowadays people have teeth in their mouth in the age of 35. They were not as healthy as we are supposed to be today.
If youre insecure, you should take, even if you fear the chemistry at least you know its vegan.

puffin
Jan 18th, 2006, 08:32 PM
When I dont exercise or if I dont drink enough water, I feel tired.
I get tired and grumpy if i sit around and dont exercise :)

coconut
Mar 31st, 2006, 11:12 AM
Earlier in the week I went to a talk given by the guy who set up one of Bristol's best independent health food shops. It was part of Natural Health Week. He said something really interesting about multivitamins. Apparently in the 1930s a law was passed which made it illegal for anyone to trade a variety of fruit or vegetable which didn't come from an approved hybrid. It sounds like it was a giveaway to the big seed companies. And these hybrids, what we find on the supermarket shelves today, contain about 50% less nutrients than other illegal varieties. Even organic food is nutritionally deficient by comparison. They look nice on a shelf but they're not the best varieties in terms of nutrition. If this is true it means it may be impossible to get enough of certain vitamins and minerals through food only. So because of this he argued that its a good idea to take a multivitamin. He gave everyone at the talk a free sample of a multivitamin & mineral supplement called Nature's Plus.

I'm going to try and find out more about this. If the evidence is convincing I may consider taking a multivitamin regularly.

Tigerlily
Mar 31st, 2006, 12:44 PM
Earlier in the week I went to a talk given by the guy who set up one of Bristol's best independent health food shops. It was part of Natural Health Week. He said something really interesting about multivitamins. Apparently in the 1930s a law was passed which made it illegal for anyone to trade a variety of fruit or vegetable which didn't come from an approved hybrid. It sounds like it was a giveaway to the big seed companies. And these hybrids, what we find on the supermarket shelves today, contain about 50% less nutrients than other illegal varieties. Even organic food is nutritionally deficient by comparison. They look nice on a shelf but they're not the best varieties in terms of nutrition. If this is true it means it may be impossible to get enough of certain vitamins and minerals through food only. So because of this he argued that its a good idea to take a multivitamin. He gave everyone at the talk a free sample of a multivitamin & mineral supplement called Nature's Plus.

I'm going to try and find out more about this. If the evidence is convincing I may consider taking a multivitamin regularly.

Also keep in mind the guy who told you this owns a health store which sells multivitamins...I'm not saying he's an evil person or anything, but he has things going for him by telling you that fruits and vegetables are nutriently deficient...

DianeVegan
Apr 1st, 2006, 11:50 AM
I agree with Tigerlily. Please also keep in mind that vitamin pills are not whole foods, rather a manufactured product that best approximates what we think is in food. Some vitamins and minerals need each other in order to be digested. Some vitamins (such as vitamin E) have not been manufactured in their complete forms. Most, perhaps all, studies showing that vitamins help prevent cancer used whole foods rather than vitamins. I have read that vitamin C isn't ascorbic acid, rather ascorbic acid is a component of vitamin C. In other words, we haven't done a good job of isolating vitamins and even if we did it doesn't look like that's the optimal way to ingest them.

IMO, a hybrid vegetable grown organically is much better than a vitamin pill.

Certainly, all soil is now missing many minerals as our farming land has been overfarmed for centuries. For this reason, we eat organic but also take a mineral supplement.

In the U.S. the supplement industry is a huge, little regulated industry. Therefore, they can make claims that drug companies cannot without the supporting research.

It all gets a bit confusing.

coconut
Apr 1st, 2006, 12:16 PM
I know there's always the chance the guy is out to sell his vitamins. To be fair though the ones he gave us were wholefood concentrates. They aren't synthetic. He talked a lot about diet and he was basically advocating a vegan, wholefoods diet. Most of the people at the talk were regular, omnivores and he didn't actually say "you must stop eating meat, dairy etc." The take home message was you should eat fresh, local fruits, vegetables, grains and pickles (fermented vegetables which happen to be great for digestion apparently :) ) but a multivitamin is useful to fill the nutrition gap.

You're right though Diane it does get confusing. I was thinking about the stuff Korn was saying about how nutrients react together in a pill and the B12 problem. For the time being I'm going to just stick with my B12 supplement and if I can find more evidence in favour of multivitamins I might consider taking one regularly.

FR
Apr 1st, 2006, 02:47 PM
So guys...what kind of vegan multi-vitamins can I find in the US? I'm in design school so that equals not much time to fix up well-balanced meals everyday, so I need something to help make up for that.

VegLife brand has a crapload of them. I've seen them at health food stores, and places like Wild Oats. Also, you can view and buy their entire product line on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/search.html/102-5453986-9078516?%5Fencoding=UTF8&node=3760931&sizefit=&keywords=vegan%20vitamins&index=&rank=&rh=a%3A3760931%2Ck&page=1

Pascale
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:43 AM
I've been trying to find a good, vegan, chewable (I can't swallow pills for the life of me) multivitamin. I found this:http://www.freedavitamins.com/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=005-0332&Category_Code=cat_03". Does this multivitamin seem complete enough? I know it doesn't have iodine, but I live in the U.S. and most salt is iodized, so I don't think that will be a problem.

Tigerlily
Aug 30th, 2006, 02:00 AM
These (http://www.veganessentials.com/catalog/childrens-tall-tree-multi-vitamin-and-mineral-by-country-life.htm)are children's vitamins, they are chewable.

Those vitamins you showed seemed complete enough.

nervine
Aug 30th, 2006, 09:50 PM
Don't bother with multivitamins. They're a waste of money. Vitamins turn into useless chemicals during the production process. The reason you need vitamins and minerals is that they serve as 'fuel' for enzymes. Eat raw fruit and veg. Make smoothies or juice. They taste awsome and you get all the enzymes, vitamins and minerals you need for sure!

Korn
Aug 30th, 2006, 10:28 PM
Make smoothies or juice. They taste awsome and you get all the enzymes, vitamins and minerals you need for sure! Unfortunately, that's probably not correct in a world as un-natural as ours.

Roxy
Aug 31st, 2006, 01:13 AM
I have to agree with Korn on that. I've read articles that say that conventionally grown produce has less nutrient value than organically grown produce. Now lets face it......not everybody is in a position to buy organically 100% of the time. I know I'm not.

Please don't ask me to reference those articles or provide links to them. I never saved them, I'm just saying that I have read this before.

snivelingchild
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:06 AM
I occasionally take 1/2 to 1.5x the dose of Nature's Plus Animal Parade children's chewable watermelon flavor multis.