PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite vegan protein sources?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Lilith
Jun 21st, 2005, 04:57 PM
What can you do with Quinoa other than make porridge out of it? Cos I find it pretty bland like that :o
I've tried adding herbs/spices..but its still not very exciting.

gertvegan
Jun 21st, 2005, 06:26 PM
What can you do with Quinoa other than make porridge out of it? Cos I find it pretty bland like that :o
I've tried adding herbs/spices..but its still not very exciting.Have a read of the Quinoa (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1124&highlight=Quinoa) thread Lilith. ;)

Mystic
Jun 21st, 2005, 11:26 PM
I love legumes/beans of all sorts, but at the top of the list are chickpeas, lima beans, green split peas, red lentils (in the form of dhal) and black beans.

I am a very big fan of wholegrains, particularly oatmeal, brown rice and dense stoneground wholegrain breads - Essene bread is amazing.

I love macadamia nuts and macadamia nut butter too (especially if it is stuffed in gooey medjool dates)

Lilith
Jun 22nd, 2005, 11:38 PM
oops ! sorry guess i didnt look hard enough for one :p

rainbow
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:22 PM
Where's the 'all of the above' option? :p Vegan food, yum, it's all good! :)

Edit:

Ah, I see, it's a multiple choice poll. I always spot these things after I've voted for just one option :( , when I realise that there are too many votes and then realise that it's a multiple choicer. :o
Well, I would have voted for most of them, except nuts and seeds perhaps (although I do like peanuts, but that's about it). I love peas, they're my favourite of all. Other people eat peas as an accompaniment to other things; I eat other things as an accompaniment to peas! :D

Pob
Aug 3rd, 2005, 01:29 PM
I voted for lots of them, too.
Mmmmm, beans! :D

I love my soya milk.

moochbabe
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:02 AM
I chose seiten as my favorite. However, there are many others that I love like chick peas, lentil, black beans, soy milk, and whole grains. I am also loving mock egg salad made with tofu, yum!

I am almost afraid, that is exactly how I feel! lol, seriously, i always make mock egg salad and I chose seitan and my fav! I really like so many differnt things too though, like whole grains, etc, it's just so hard to choose!

moochbabe
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:04 AM
Beans! My favourites are red kidney beans, blackeye beans and pinto beans.

I love beans too! I just think there's too many yummy vegan protein sources, sheesh! :p

moochbabe
Aug 18th, 2005, 05:07 AM
Vegan Spanish Omelette. Made with gram flour batter, sliced up spuds, onions and other veggies simmered in stock and olive oil. Strain the veg when cooked, pour batter over, sprinkle in some nutritional yeast, bake till set.

You can stick cherry tomatoes, olives etc on the top.

I use the stock oil mix to make stews with later.

Or get a tin of chickpeas, strain it, mash it, pat it flat in a quiche dish. Grill till crispy. Cook all your favourite veg (mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers etc) and add to whizzed up silken tofu - possibly flavoured with tamari sauce. Bake till set. Gluten free vegan quiche!

All of those things sound so good...it makes me wonder how I survived before I found some of the recipes on this site! :D

xwitchymagicx
Oct 26th, 2005, 02:14 AM
I normally use Quinoea, soya, nuts, seeds more really except anything with gluten or tofu

I had TVP today which is pretty good

foxytina_69
Nov 19th, 2005, 10:52 AM
well, these are my favorites:

tofu
soy milk
peanut butter
brown rice
beans in tomato sauce
split peas
tamari
stir fry sprouts
seaweed in the form of sushi :D
tahini
sesame seeds
sunflower seeds
brussel sprouts, broccoli and spinach, peas, snow peas, green beans.

Roxy
Nov 19th, 2005, 07:44 PM
On Thursday I had 2 types of processed foods that seem to be quite a good source of protein.

One was Starlite Cuisine garlic "chicken" rolled tacos. They have 10grams each.

The other was 28g of GenSoy soy crisps which had 7g of protein.

moochbabe
Nov 20th, 2005, 06:12 PM
i remember i used to eat those rolled tacos when i was a veg, i haven't bought them since becuase i try not to eat too much processed food and i wasn't sure they were vegan (i didn't check) but i remember they tasted really good and were great for something quick!

Roxy
Nov 21st, 2005, 04:42 AM
I got double the amount of protein that I should have, today. I wonder if that's okay - because I was being quite physical at work today - doing lots of walking and carrying medium loads and doing lots of bending.

Anyway, there is a new product here in Canada called Roast Wheat (it's a meatless roast beef). I tried it for the first time tonight and if you are the type of person who likes fake meats, I think you would like this one. Anyway - it has a whopping 19g of protein per 75g of the product.

I also noted that the 90g of tofu that I had for breakfast had 14g of protein. Wow!

I wonder why omni's think we vegans don't get enough protein. It seems to be a very common nutrient in vegan foods.

thecatspajamas1
Nov 21st, 2005, 05:54 AM
chick peas in my spaghetti sauce :)
oh, fried tofu from Wholefood!
walnuts...
semen (just kidding)

so many faves, really

deadinside
Nov 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
mmm Chickpeas. I love chickpeas so much, my sis always makes fun of me. She calls me "Chicka-pea" :rolleyes: .

moochbabe
Nov 29th, 2005, 10:07 PM
what a cute nickname though!

BlueMonarch
Apr 20th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Anyway, there is a new product here in Canada called Roast Wheat (it's a meatless roast beef). I tried it for the first time tonight and if you are the type of person who likes fake meats, I think you would like this one. Anyway - it has a whopping 19g of protein per 75g of the product.
I also noted that the 90g of tofu that I had for breakfast had 14g of protein. Wow!
I wonder why omni's think we vegans don't get enough protein. It seems to be a very common nutrient in vegan foods.

Ya, i tried it, and its good. I dont mind mock meats, xcept when they really taste like it (There's this product that looks like really wide sausage rolls, and it tast way too similar. Freaked me out. Even my dad, who aint vege, said... sry, but my body is telling me that this is meat! but ne ways lol). I luv variety. What sux tho, is that MOST of these mock meats containt sooo much sodium! Find out the daily requirements for sodium for cold and hawt days, an u'll c that, when u eat those mock meats, ya gotta watch ur whole days sodium intake! :P

Other than that, I LUV Tofu! XD And I like werking out, body buildn and what not, so i even have fun with sports nutrition. Like Rice Protein pwd by Nutribiotics! That stuff is the bomb (just dont get plain, cuz yuk :P try Vanilla) and totally Vegan. Its nice to have a protein pwd other than soy.

ScandinaVegan
Apr 20th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Why can't I wote on them all at once ??? :D

(except the supplements and the fake meat!)

What's TVP ? :confused:

insubordination
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:11 PM
My favourites are split peas, closely followed by cashew and macadamia nuts.

Korn
Apr 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM
What's TVP ? :confused:

Hi, I've never tried it, but we have a thread about Textured Vegetable Protein here (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5263)...

Tigerlily
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:33 PM
I like beans.

*farts*

:)

~Lenore
Apr 22nd, 2006, 05:54 PM
-Red beans, black beans, broad beans, kidney beans, lima beans, aduki beans, mung beans etc
-Chick peas, chick pea flour or chick pea meals like falafel, hummus, chana masala
-Tofu
-Miso, tamari (soy sauce)
-Soy milk
-Split peas, black-eyed peas or other peas/legumes
-Almonds, cashew / pistachio / brazil / hazel/ pecan nuts etc
-Sunflower seeds: roasted, raw or in food
-Pumpkin (squash/watermelon) seeds / kernels
-Flax seeds, hemp seeds or other protein rich seeds
-Wheat bran, wheat germ, wholemeal wheat flour
-Seaweed: kelp, spirulina...
-Wholemeal rye (ie. in bread)
-Brussel sprouts, spinach, brocolli or other nutrient rich green vegetables
-Mock meats, veggie burgers etc (only Boca original, though)
-Protein supplements like protein bars, protein powder (Luna bars!)

All the others, I've either never tried before (TVP, Seitan, Lentils, Tahini & Quinoa), or am allergic to (peanuts, but not seriously or fatally thank goodness). :D

Jane M
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
I like beans.

*farts*

:)

Yes, beans are very good. (quietly opens window)

Tigerlily
Apr 22nd, 2006, 06:18 PM
*slowly walks out of room*