PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite vegan protein sources?

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

cherrywisp
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I love broccoli, I didn't even know it had protein, I guess I just figure I get enough of it anyway :D
I also love beans, and hummus.

umbilical
Nov 30th, 2007, 08:34 PM
omg omg i can't live one day without soya milk :D

KrissStress
Dec 1st, 2007, 07:14 PM
Hummus without a doubt.

GoodbyeGirl
Dec 23rd, 2007, 11:15 AM
Vegan Spanish Omelette. Made with gram flour batter, sliced up spuds, onions and other veggies simmered in stock and olive oil. Strain the veg when cooked, pour batter over, sprinkle in some nutritional yeast, bake till set.

You can stick cherry tomatoes, olives etc on the top.

wow that sounds delicious.

i love sourdough bread for protein. i know it's not the healthiest choice but sometimes when i bake a loaf i just tear off warm chunks and eat them dipped in vegan butter.

Piticli
Dec 23rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
omg omg i can't live one day without soya milk :D

The same :)

I haven't hear before about Vegan Spanish Omelette!!:rolleyes::)

fondducoeur
Dec 26th, 2007, 03:23 AM
I love tofu.

I have recently been trying to add more lentils and other beans to my diet, as I love them too.

Karuna
Dec 26th, 2007, 07:57 AM
I love (selfmade) Seitan a lot but also Tofu and Soy Milk!

Roxy
Dec 26th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I've been enjoying beans a lot more during these colder months. Baked beans, red kidney beans and pinto beans.

Healthy
Dec 26th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I decided to eat more vegetables, so instead of putting beans on my salad, I'm making more room for carrots, tomatoes, etc -- but as a protein, I'm making a dressing of peanut butter and apple cider vinegar (whisked together). I made it the other day, it's really great and creamy.

ivandurago
Dec 26th, 2007, 06:46 PM
I love just about all forms of beans, tofu, faux meats...
I basically liked everything on that list, and now I am hungry haha :eek:

Jippia
Jan 21st, 2008, 05:40 PM
I eat tofu or tempeh almost every day, three to four mugs of soymilk, spread my bread with tahin and other nut spreads, topped with a mix of seeds, eat a lot of bread and other grain products (wholemeal) and in the evening I like to snack on walnuts and other nuts.

I am not much of a bean eater, but I do eat green beans, garden peas, broad beans and runner beans very often.

So I think I am not doing so bad on the protein intake lol!

Mirjam

Zero
Sep 17th, 2008, 04:04 PM
My favorite protein foods are all fresh plant sources since they all contain at least small amounts of protein.

(I am a fan of Tofu and Temeph though)

AliBlack
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Some of my non vegan friends worry I'm not getting enough protein because I suffer with fatigue, but I don't think it's diet related, I've been veggie for 25 years, vegan for 11 years (with a 2 year break, vegan again 2 months ago) and judging by the protein list here I do eat plenty of protein. Someone else has just started eating an egg each morning and she swears it's giving her loads of energy, hmm not convinced! I'm not going to start eating eggs anyway!

vava
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:48 PM
hmm not convinced! I'm not going to start eating eggs anyway!
could be true if her diet normally lacks nutrients found in eggs perhaps....

AliBlack
Oct 16th, 2008, 07:57 PM
Potatoes! They have protein according to The Vegan Cookbook:D I eat loads of those.

AliBlack
Oct 16th, 2008, 08:00 PM
That's true I guess! Although it's like when someone says "I feel my body needs meat because I need the protein", and they believe you can only get what you need from meat or dairy, and it's hard to convince them otherwise.

could be true if her diet normally lacks nutrients found in eggs perhaps....

Sarabi
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Wow! I didn't know all those things had protein. But I still need to figure out which ones have which proteins.

Korn
Nov 27th, 2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe - or maybe not... :-)

Meat eaters have throughout the history of mankind been eating the bodies of animals - animals who probably never worried about figuring out which plants contain which proteins. They basically eat leaves/grass. Personally, I eat a random mix of beans/chick peas/lentils, nuts, green plants and sesame paste (tahini) + sunflower containing bread / bread spread and always have good protein levels.

Sarabi
Nov 27th, 2008, 10:30 PM
"Meat eaters have throughout the history of mankind been eating the bodies of animals - animals who probably never worried about figuring out which plants contain which proteins."

I don't think that's a very good argument for the modern world when health standards are very different. First of all, it sounds a lot like arguments by meat-eaters that humans should eat meat because we always have. Secondly, humans have historically not been as healthy as we are today due to all sorts of deficiencies... Just because humans have a deficiency doesn't mean they can't grow and have functioning children.... although the ones who don't function will probably die early on and not be remembered by vegans 2000 years later who are studying them for whatever reason.

Catfriend
Feb 10th, 2010, 03:12 PM
Ok, now I'm hungry. (After reading all the options on the poll!)

Ruziko
Feb 19th, 2010, 08:08 PM
Tofu.........god I love the stuff :D

Can't get it cheap here though :(

soilman
Mar 6th, 2010, 11:53 PM
Mine favorite protein source are collards.

Protein concentration should be measured by weight of protein per weight of unhydrated food item; that is, foods should be compared at the same degeee of hydration as one another. It should not be measured by weight of protein per weight of food item. Comparing at the same degree of hydration will give you more insight as to how much protein you get from a food.

Kimberlily1983
Jun 21st, 2010, 02:52 AM
I adore lentils! And since we bought our food processor I've been having monster-sized smoothies with soy milk, yum.

Jivattatva
Jun 26th, 2010, 01:28 AM
Beans, lentils, soy

MoonDance
Jun 26th, 2010, 05:01 AM
Tofu and tempeh are my faves, and I love lentils too! They didn't used to love me all that much, but now they do. And some nuts too, though I'm allergic to peanuts, walnuts and cashews.