PDA

View Full Version : What are your favourite vegan protein sources?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Korn
May 2nd, 2005, 10:37 AM
We had a poll about favorite protein sources, which got lost in the crash last year. I'm planning to add a new one. Please look at the list and suggest corrections/additions before I open the poll!
Thanks!

Kim[ba]
May 2nd, 2005, 01:47 PM
I know some of enjoy hemp seed :)

Artichoke47
May 2nd, 2005, 02:15 PM
I guess "rice" would be under "other protein-rich grains"? If so, I think the list is great! :)

Seaside
May 5th, 2005, 06:20 AM
The list looks very complete to me. :)

aqaneve
May 5th, 2005, 07:12 AM
I think lentils, soy milk and broccoli are my favourite sources :)

feline01
May 5th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Not to be too picky but what about making it seitan/gluten. They're pretty similar but I much prefer gluten.

Korn
May 5th, 2005, 03:51 PM
I guess "rice" would be under "other protein-rich grains"? If so, I think the list is great! :) Yes, I'd say that protein-rich rice would belong to this group. According to the International Rice Research Institute (http://www.irri.org/about/faq.asp) there are about 120,000 (!!!) known rice varieties (I've previously heard that there are only '7000' different kinds of rice). Some sources claim that there are 250-300 registered varieties. Since our forum is read by people all over the world, and since most people unfortunately eat white, polished rice, it could be potentially misleading to say that rice as such always is protein rich, so to play it safe, I didn't write that rice as such (read: as most people know it) is protein rich. Some rice is pretty high in protein, while other rice, especially the polished and parboiled type, is not.

Wild rice generally has more protein than natural, unpolished brown rice, and brown rice has more protein than polished rice.

Human milk contains less than 10% protein (and only less than half as much protein as cow's milks), but on the list above I've tried to stick to plants/products that normally contains 10% or more protein.

Another thing to consider, is the absorbability of a given protein source. To use the example of breast feeding again milk, ie. soy milk (which can be rich in protein, depending on how watery it is), has shown to be a less good protein source for babies than human milk. Cow's milk, which contains between two and three times the amount of protein as human milk, is also poorly assimilated in the human body.

Other comments about the list above? If not, I'll open the poll soon...

Korn
May 8th, 2005, 11:45 PM
The poll is now open...

FR
May 9th, 2005, 10:00 AM
I chose seiten as my favorite. However, there are many others that I love like chick peas, lentil, black beans, soy milk, and whole grains. I am also loving mock egg salad made with tofu, yum!

Gorilla
May 9th, 2005, 01:57 PM
i mostly prefer all kinds of beans, chick peas, and lentils - including their sprouted forms. i also love houmous.

i can take or leave tofu and soya milk, i'm not that keen on them but they can be pretty tasty sometimes. i don't eat much wholewheat because i'm avoiding wheat gluten (where possible) at the moment but i enjoy other whole grains such as spelt, oats and quinoa. i have never liked seitan and i went off mock meats a couple of years ago, i used to like veggie ones such as Quorn but when i went vegan i found the egg and milk-free ones absolutely disgusting, so don't eat them. :p

DoveInGreyClothing
May 10th, 2005, 11:42 PM
I put nuts, if you are what you eat then I'm nuts!
Aren't mushrooms a good source of protein too?

Seaside
May 11th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Posted by DoveInGreyClothing:

I put nuts, if you are what you eat then I'm nuts!
Same here, with the addition of seeds. I must be a seedy nut. :p

Glen
May 11th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Beans! My favourites are red kidney beans, blackeye beans and pinto beans.

dreama
May 12th, 2005, 06:41 PM
mock meat, Tofu, beans, fried mushroom and lentils.

Rhiannon
May 12th, 2005, 07:18 PM
I like chickpeas, kidney beans and lentils the most so i chose those. I love seitan too though but it's very expensive so i do buy it very often. ooh and i love tofu aswell :D

VeganMan
May 12th, 2005, 09:53 PM
Tofu.

When I ate meat and even quite a while after, I "knew" I could never eat tofu and thought people who did were insane.

But ever since my lovely wife taught me how to make a certain "tofu bake" recipe she found a while back, I've been set. Mixed with broccoli it tastes like the best omelet I ever had only three times better!

Korn
May 12th, 2005, 11:00 PM
Aren't mushrooms a good source of protein too? Hi, the few mushrooms I have checked for protein levels, contain only 1-2g pr 100g. But there are thousands of different kinds of mushrooms, and if you find some that contain 10 g or protein/100g, let me know, and I'll add them to this list...
(Be aware that some sources lists protein amount as 'percentage of calories from protein', which can be confusing and potentially misleading... as discussed in this (http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3738) thread.)

Realfood Mary
Jun 5th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Vegan Spanish Omelette. Made with gram flour batter, sliced up spuds, onions and other veggies simmered in stock and olive oil. Strain the veg when cooked, pour batter over, sprinkle in some nutritional yeast, bake till set.

You can stick cherry tomatoes, olives etc on the top.

I use the stock oil mix to make stews with later.

Or get a tin of chickpeas, strain it, mash it, pat it flat in a quiche dish. Grill till crispy. Cook all your favourite veg (mushrooms, sweetcorn, peppers etc) and add to whizzed up silken tofu - possibly flavoured with tamari sauce. Bake till set. Gluten free vegan quiche!

cedarblue
Jun 5th, 2005, 05:21 PM
Tofu.

When I ate meat and even quite a while after, I "knew" I could never eat tofu and thought people who did were insane.

But ever since my lovely wife taught me how to make a certain "tofu bake" recipe she found a while back, I've been set. Mixed with broccoli it tastes like the best omelet I ever had only three times better!

wouldnt like to post that bake recipe veganman would you?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

VeganMan
Jun 6th, 2005, 03:31 PM
wouldnt like to post that bake recipe veganman would you?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

You will need:

1 roasting pan
1 large bowl (for mixing)
1 pound of frozen broccoli florets
1 pound of extra firm tofu
5 oz of vegan cheese (Vegan Gourmet our family favorite)
1 tablespoon of hot sauce
1 tablespoon of tamari
1 tablespoon of olive oil
4 oz of nutritional yeast
Generous amounts of turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and coriander

Preheat the oven to 400°.

Don’t drain the tofu, just pour out the water out of the pack, take the whole block and squeeze between your palms until the gushing stops and you just have a steady flow of drops, then rotate 180° and repeat.

Brake down the tofu by hand into ¾ inch diameter flakes and place in the large bowl.

Pour in the hot sauce, then the tamari, and then the turmeric, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin and the coriander and mix it all together by hand.

Grate the vegan cheese and mix in by hand.

Mix in the broccoli by hand as evenly as possible.

Coat the surface and sides of the roasting pan with the olive oil.

Pour in the contents of the bowl and spread as evenly as possible.

Place in oven for 30 minutes.

Let stand for 15 minutes.

Glen
Jun 6th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I like chickpeas, kidney beans and lentils the most so i chose those. I love seitan too though but it's very expensive so i do buy it very often. ooh and i love tofu aswell :D
Yay for chickpeas too!

Franny
Jun 13th, 2005, 06:18 PM
Hi Venganman and Feline,

Just wanted to tell you that I made your tofu bake recipe and it was very good. I couldn't figure out how it would taste like an omelet, but it really did. Thanks.

Kumem
Jun 13th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Beans and nuts are my favourite, but I cannot abide chickpeas. Yuck

VeganMan
Jun 14th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Hi Venganman and Feline,

Just wanted to tell you that I made your tofu bake recipe and it was very good. I couldn't figure out how it would taste like an omelet, but it really did. Thanks.

Thanks.

By the way, loved your joke

(the one about the flies) (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58172#post58172)

Franny
Jun 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
Thanks.

By the way, loved your joke

(the one about the flies) (http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=58172#post58172)

Thanks. It's usually a hit on St. Patrick's day. :)