PDA

View Full Version : Bread

Pages : [1] 2 3

tricia
Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:05 PM
(This initial post is a compilation of posts from a thread at 'Veganforum 1')

M45 Posted: Apr 2 2004, 12:54 AM

Hi All

I'm new to veganism, and I'm finding it quite hard at times. I love bread, and I have noticed some breads contain milk and some do not. Can anyone tell me some good (common) breads that do not contain animal products (and taste good of course)?

Thanks,

-m45

globesetter Posted: Apr 2 2004, 08:55 AM

Hi M45 -

I«ve been vegan for over 7 months - my experience is that it is confusing at first - hard to find out where all the animal ingredients are - but it soon becomes second nature and routine.

I can«t recommend a specific brand, but I can tell you that most of the commercial brands on the shelf at the supermarket are not very ideal in many ways - no whole grains, preservatives, additives - lots of stuff that are just not needed in bread but added to make a product for the company to sell. I think your best bet is to go to the bakery counter at the supermarket and ask for a whole grain bread that doesn«t have any animal ingredients, or just read the labels - bread should only have a few ingredients, not a long list of stuff.

all the best,
globesetter

Cloudy Posted: Apr 2 2004, 11:54 AM

Most supermarket breads in the UK are vegan I think, unless it's something weird like "milk roll". Even a lot of bagels and such like are vegan.

Mmm bagels

marinoa Posted: Apr 2 2004, 07:46 PM

In the supermarket, natural ovens breads are mostly vegan (and high in fiber, protein) except their whole wheat one which I think has honey. their vitamins etc are all vegan friendly. They have a web site too www.naturalovens.com.
Usually focacio bread (unless topped by cheese) is made with olive oil, I have made it at home. The drier breads I think dont have milk. Of course, the softer enriched breads will have butter.

miss_taken77
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:07 PM
Hello all. Today is my first official day as a vegan and I have a question regarding bread. Every store-bought bread I find has some sort of animal product in it (usually milk-somethings, honey, or egg) and the one type of bread I found that was vegan was a small loaf in the health food store by Ener-G, for $6 - it didn't look very appetizing anyway (but maybe it tasted good). So anyhoo, I was just wondering where all of you got your bread, or do you just make it yourself?

Thanks for any replies!

x Jamie

globesetter
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:17 PM
You might try the bakery section of the grocery store, rather than the regular packaged bread aisle, or a regular bakery.

regards,
globesetter

cedarblue
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:53 PM
in the uk stores i go into, their in-store bakery usually has no information on label about what is actually in the baked product, baring the name of item and price :(

Cloudy
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
in the uk stores i go into, their in-store bakery usually has no information on label about what is actually in the baked product, baring the name of item and price :(

That said though, most pre-packaged bread here is vegan, so all's not lost!

vegan_ana
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:30 AM
isn't 100% whole wheat bread ok? the bread i bought doesn't have whey, but it has wheat gluten. is that alright, or do i need to keep searching??

Artichoke47
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Oh, wheat gluten is fine. I like Rudi's Bakery organic breads. Multigrain oat is the best.

foxytina_69
Jun 24th, 2004, 06:33 AM
remember sodium-steroyl-lactate is derived from dairy (i see it in bread all the time)

the bread by ener-g is good. i eat the rice bread, as i cant eat wheat or flour or gluten, because i have celiac disease. heres the website if u wanted to research more on that bread.

http://www.ener-g.com

all u can do is read ingredients and keep searching.

harpy
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:51 PM
isn't 100% whole wheat bread ok?

As I understand it, "100% whole wheat" bread could be either vegan or not vegan - the 100% means that there isn't any refined flour in it I think, but there could still be honey etc. Obviously you've read the label on yours and it's OK though. Gluten isn't a problem: it's just wheat protein.

How easy is it to get German-style rye bread - the pumpernickel type stuff - in the US? That is often vegan (as sold in the UK anyway) and is supposed to be quite healthy I think. We can buy it in some supermarkets and health food shops.

miss_taken77
Jun 26th, 2004, 06:35 PM
Thanks for the input. I ended up finding some bread at Trader Joes and got a couple loafs!

Sabster
Jun 30th, 2004, 02:53 PM
I eat a lot of pita bread. You still have to check the labels on anything sold here though. Label checking (and being familiar with the different names that animal biproducts can be found under) is the way to go.

If there's a whole foods market in your state I would say go there. A lot of their bakery breads are ok. I tried the frozen more expensive variety of organic breads in regular supermarkets... but while good... quite a few were too strong in flavor and not fit for peanut butter, etc. I eat the Wellspring Organic bread from WFM ... which runs a little under $3. I don't remember if it has sugar or molasses in it since I'm currently out of it... the sugar would still be organic... but not necessarily unrefined if you try to avoid refined sugar (some vegans do... some don't...).

Most prepared breads in the general supermarket tend to have milk derivatives if nothing else. There is a natural grain bread that I used to buy at the supermarket that tastes pretty good but I can't remember what it's called. I stopped buying it since I prefer bread that's more fresh and generally food at the best value.

Sabster
Jul 2nd, 2004, 01:31 PM
Glad you found something that works. I was in the grocery store and the bread company name is Brownberry. The natural whole wheat bread doesn't have honey in it but the nut one does. I think. Can't remember.

uww27225
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:10 PM
This is a dumb question, but if I go to a restaurant is it safe (vegan) to get a sandwhich if it's on wheat bread? What about hamburger buns?

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 19th, 2004, 07:52 PM
There are no absolutes. You must question e*v*e*r*y*t*h*i*n*g when you go out to eat and when you by things at the store, unless it is a pure, raw, whole food you must read the labels. Sometimes bread is safe, sometimes not! :(

gertvegan
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:17 AM
In the UK, Hovis, Kingsmill, and Burgen breads are all vegan, Hovis Label to. Some of Kingsmill products aren't vegan, check out the website.

cobainist403
Dec 5th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Do any of you know of the best/healthiest (organic) vegan bread that I can buy at someplace like Publix or any grocery store?

ConsciousCuisine
Dec 5th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Ezekiel and other sprouted grain breads, such as Manna bread, unless you have candida issues. If so, only the "Manna" bread.

Roxy
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
Hi CC!

I like to eat the Ezekial Raisin/Cinnamon sprouted bread. What is in it that would cause an imbalance in my candida levels (perhaps causing yeast infections)?

Roxy

ConsciousCuisine
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Yeast. :( They have yeast.

Roxy
Dec 5th, 2004, 08:13 PM
Ahhhhh. Thank-you :)

cobainist403
Dec 5th, 2004, 10:57 PM
I just bought Woman's Bread...yeast free

ConsciousCuisine
Dec 6th, 2004, 01:34 AM
Women's Bread is awesome! Too bad it costs twice (or more) as much as Ezekiel and Manna Breads do!

cobainist403
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:02 AM
Yeah..and it comes in fewer slices...

Roxy
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:39 AM
There is a vegan bread that I buy sometimes at Wholefoods. It is quite a heavy (and expensive) loaf but it has chunks of real cranberries and walnuts baked into it. It is soooo good toasted, with a little earthbalance and a little bit of strawberry jam. It's probably my favourite "special" bread.

Mystic
Feb 19th, 2005, 05:42 AM
YUM!!! That sounds awesome! I used to always buy a bread by Ancient Grains called Pineapple and Walnut Fruit Loaf. It was a light rye sourdough base and soooooooooo delicious! But now I cannot eat nuts as I am reacting to them so I can't buy it anymore :(