PDA

View Full Version : Vegan Indian food: The curry thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Kim[ba]
Feb 26th, 2005, 01:03 AM
1 C Long grain brown rice (or whatever rice you prefer)
2 - 3 C water
1 tsp Indian curry
2 - 3 Tbs Hummus

Boil the rice until done, and when most of the water has been absorbed and evaporated stir in the curry . Mix it around real good until there are no bloches left. Spoon on 2 or 3 tablespoons of Hummus until you reach the desired consitency and flavor. Dump it on a plate and eat it.

This would probably also be good with freshly squeezed lemon, and chopped herbs. This really satisfied my craving for curry!

Trendygirl
Mar 1st, 2005, 12:13 AM
Please see http://vegan.meetup.com/142/photos/31338/105623/ for image of food

Serves 2 people

Ingredients:

1 tblsp olive oil
½ tsp Brown mustard seeds
½ tsp Fenugreek seeds
5 figures of okra (roughly chopped)
1 cup Cauliflower florets
¼ tsp Turmeric
¼ tsp Ground coriander
¼ tsp Garam Masala
350ml boiling water
½ tblsp light soya source
15 Almonds
Large handful of dark leafy greens (this could be spinach, Savoy cabbage, kale etc).
½ Red bell pepper (roughly chopped)
2 ½ tblsp Coconut milk
½ tsp chilli bean paste
1 tsp tomato Puree

Method:

a) Add oil, mustard and fenugreek seeds to a pan, cover with a lid and remove from the heat when you hear the mustard seeds begin to pop. Once the mustard seeds have popped, the fenugreek seeds should be dark brown but not black. If you burn them, repeat this step until you get it right.

b) Add okra, Cauliflower, Turmeric, Ground Coriander, Garam Masala, Light Soya source, Almonds and boiling water.

c) Cover the pan with a lid and cook until vegetables are tender.

d) Once the vegetables are cooked, add dark leafy greens red bell pepper, coconut milk, chilli bean paste and tomato Puree. Stir in ingredients and replace the lid for one minute or until leafy greens have wilted.

e) Taste; if it doesn’t have enough flavour add a little of each ingredient and cook for another minute.

f) Serve with rice or chapattis.

Kim[ba]
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:39 PM
I tried it with lemon juice and it was a nice compliment. I think some bell peppers, onions, etc would also go well....

Gorilla
Mar 1st, 2005, 09:52 PM
sounds gorgeous, and the photos on the website look amazing :)

mmmmmm curry :D

Trendygirl
Mar 2nd, 2005, 12:56 AM
Mmmmm! I love curry, maybe too much? Chillies are suppose to be very high in antioxidants (like many spices are) and they are supposed to help speed up your metabolism. This recipe makes a mild curry but I normally have them quite hot!!!!

Gorilla
Mar 2nd, 2005, 01:21 PM
i prefer mild curries, not too much chilli but i love all the Indian spices. :)

Kiva Dancer
Mar 2nd, 2005, 07:12 PM
How yummy, trendygirl.

What could you substitute for the okra if you were making it for someone who couldn't stand the stuff?

Leigh
Mar 4th, 2005, 12:30 AM
This is so yummy! My bf, who had 'never cooked, would never cook and didn't like cooking' is now a little star in the kitchen when it comes to making this :D It gave him the confidence to try other things too and now he loves trying new recipes.

It's really good with rice and/or wrapped in chappatis or naan bread.

2 onions
4 cloves garlic
1 tblspn oil
1 tspn chilli powder
1 tspn salt
1 tspn tur,eric
1 tspn paprika
1 tblspn ground cumin
1 tblspn ground coriander
2 x 440g (14oz) cans chickpeas, drained
440g (14oz) canned tomato pieces
1 tspn garam masala

1. Slice onions finely; crush the garlic. Heat oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook over medium heat, stirring, until soft.

2. Add the chilli powder, salt, turmeric, paprika, cumin and coriander. Stir over heat for 1 minute.

3. Add chickpeas and undrained tomatoes, stir until combined. Simmer, covered, over low heat 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in garam masala. Simmer, covered for another 10 minutes.

Tigerlily
Mar 4th, 2005, 07:59 PM
I never tried Indian foods. But this recipes sounds very non threatning. And I love chickpeas!

kriz
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:31 PM
I belive you can use the same ingredients as a base for many other indian dishes, too. Just exhange the chick peas for something else (tofu, cauliflower, potatoes....) when you're tired of it. I use this base for everything and it's so easy. :)

kriz
Mar 6th, 2005, 05:38 PM
To keep indian spices such as cummin, turmeic, coriander and curry powder in your cabinet, is always a good idea. And if you also keep some onions in you fridge, you're set to go anytime. ;)

Leigh
Mar 7th, 2005, 02:59 AM
Oooohhhh, I never thought of putting tofu in it! Yum!! I'm addicted to scrambled tofu at the moment. If I make if for dinner I take some to work the next day and have it on toasted sandwiches. Fantastic!

feline01
Mar 7th, 2005, 05:08 PM
I made this over the weekend but made some amendments. Didn't have any okra so I used a whole head of cauliflower and upped the mustard seeds/fenugreek to 1 tsp each. I used baby bok choy as the greens, added 1/2 cup of yellow dahl and used an entire tin of light coconut milk. And soaked and ground 3 fresh red chillies to add a little zing. Served it over a hot roti. It was yummy!!

Tofu Monster
Mar 7th, 2005, 08:22 PM
just been down to sainsburys to get stuff for this recipe. now going to take myself off to the kitchen and give it a go. i'm going to make double the quantity so i can take it to work tomorrow as well. will report back later.

Tofu Monster
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:17 PM
well that was a success, my son and i both enjoyed it. next time i think it would be nice to add some mushrooms for a bit of 'chewiness'.

Cloudy
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:37 PM
well that was a success, my son and i both enjoyed it. next time i think it would be nice to add some mushrooms for a bit of 'chewiness'.

Spinach is good with chickpeas. Both spinach and mushroom if you really want to go for it!

kriz
Mar 7th, 2005, 11:53 PM
Sometimes I add a can of coconut milk, but not with chick peas, though. Cauliflower, potato, carrots and tofu is good with that. :) If taste is lacking, I just add some vegetable broth (cubes have more flavor). Could not live without broth - it helped prevent disaster numerous times! ;)

Kiva Dancer
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:32 AM
I love anything that has tomatoes and chickpeas in it.

I want to try this recipe as soon as I find garam masala.

Tofu Monster
Mar 8th, 2005, 01:39 AM
I want to try this recipe as soon as I find garam masala.

i found some in sainsbury's this evening. :D

i looked at the ingredients of garam masala and it seems to be comprised largely of some of the other ingredients included separately on the menu, coriander, turmeric and cumin.

man that turmeric sure is a wierd smelling thing!

thanks for the other suggestions guys, i think i'm getting inspired to experiment a bit next time i have a go at making a curry.

Leigh
Mar 8th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Yay for Tofu!! I'm so proud :D

kriz
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:09 PM
You can curry everything now, tofu monster. :D

Tofu Monster
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:39 PM
yeah i'm gonna go curry bonkers. :D

out of interest, does anybody know is there any way to cool a curry down a bit if you go overboard on the spices? (cos i'm a bit of a girly wimp.)

feline01
Mar 8th, 2005, 10:41 PM

out of interest, does anybody know is there any way to cool a curry down a bit if you go overboard on the spices? (cos i'm a bit of a wimp.)
You can add a bit of cooked potato to it, it seems to absorb some of the heat or when you eat it, make sure you have some starchy food like rice, chapati or roti. The worst thing you can do when eating something too spicy is have liquid, that just distributes the spice all around.

Give me spicy curry that makes you tear :D

Leigh
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:23 AM
I just can't do really hot curry. Could you add a little bit of coconut milk or cream maybe? I guess that might alter the flavour a bit though....

I'm so glad everyone's enjoying this recipe. I haven't made it myself in ages and all these comments have inspired to make it one night this week ;)

Aurora
Mar 9th, 2005, 12:38 PM

out of interest, does anybody know is there any way to cool a curry down a bit if you go overboard on the spices? (cos i'm a bit of a girly wimp.)

Yoghurt, I think. Girly wimp ;)

Chick pea curry for dinner tonight I think! :)