PDA

View Full Version : How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10]

felix_amborosa
Sep 18th, 2010, 08:10 AM
My health has improved a lot, besides having an iron deficiency (however, I was iron deficient when I ate meat anyway). I have more energy, and have lost weight. Also, when ever I am ill, it's much milder and I never cough up mucus.

VeganFanatic
Sep 20th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I am 52 and I have been vegan all my life, long before it became trendy or fashionable. Back in the 1970s a lot of people who claimed to be vegetarian were fakes. I never met another vegan until the mid 1980s when I found one woman was was surprised I was vegan.

Back then vegan was rare as people had not woken up to the idea that people can do fine without meat.

So the poll is irrelevant to me, I do not know how to feel otherwise.

VeganVicky
Sep 20th, 2010, 09:08 PM
I just seem to have alot of wind at the moment and my OH is copping for it all hahahhahha

TheBlues
Sep 21st, 2010, 11:13 AM
I've lost a couple of Kilo's since switching and feel much better health wise especially in the digestive area... I also feel less depressed than before

Thorn 17
Sep 21st, 2010, 12:03 PM
Yep guess the 5 kilos I have lost has helped:bigsmile: But I feel cleaner and lots calmer and more caring, things taste much better and the tummy is in a better place. Guess its put the GENTLE in Gentleman

RainInStarlight
Feb 6th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Healthwise, I definitely feel better, but I did notice the first month or so afterwards that I felt weak where I tried to find what to eat...adjust, etc.
Now, I feel healthier than ever, and there isn't that awful feeling that comes after I eat now. (Hard to describe...tired...clogged...congested?)
I also feel more at peace with myself and...(when I remember to eat properly) I have energy and then some to do the things I need to do well.

LuvAllLife
Mar 26th, 2011, 06:45 PM
My husband and I went vegan a few months ago (I was previously vegetarian for 17 years). He has lost 14lbs and I have lost 20. We feel lighter, cleaner, energized, and that we are doing well for the planet. We feel like we have seen the light to long and healthy living! Our bodies are definitely telling us that we have made a change for the better :) The only negative is that most people look at us like we have 3 heads when they find out!

Veggie Tales
Apr 4th, 2011, 04:25 AM
To be honest I feel overall better: generally "lighter" with no tummy-aches, however I my acne has worsened. I have heard that a lot of people's faces clear up when they drop dairy, so I am wondering why mine has flared up. I think I may have an allergy to soy. I have spent hours reading about it on the internet but there is little solid unbiased information. I don't care about the acne itself, but I do want to find out if there are any health concerns behind it. Has anyone else found this?

*sorry if this already came up, I didn't read through all the pages.

Haniska
Apr 5th, 2011, 03:47 AM
On the acne, you might be getting more carbs than you were before?

harpy
Apr 6th, 2011, 11:53 AM
To be honest I feel overall better: generally "lighter" with no tummy-aches, however I my acne has worsened. I have heard that a lot of people's faces clear up when they drop dairy, so I am wondering why mine has flared up. I think I may have an allergy to soy. I have spent hours reading about it on the internet but there is little solid unbiased information. I don't care about the acne itself, but I do want to find out if there are any health concerns behind it. Has anyone else found this?

Hello Veggie Tales. I think I've read that soy/soya can sometimes cause skin problems if it doesn't agree with you.

If I were you I would just try cutting out soya-based foods for a few days and then you will have a better idea if that's affecting your acne. (If it is it doesn't mean soya is a bad food, just that it doesn't suit you. Or you may find you're OK with a certain amount.)

There are people here who don't eat soya-based foods at all, and others who don't eat them very often, so if you need suggestions for what to have instead just ask!

AzureAngel
Apr 6th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Good morning (at least in my part of the world) all!

My very first post here and I thought it should be on this excellent question.
This diet has affected me in three ways.

First of all, Digestion: The food is wonderful and even though a lot of it is spicy, which I love but haven't been able to eat since I got sick 7 years ago, it is wonderfully easy to digest and never makes you feel weighed down after. I got the all clear health-wise just before becoming Vegan and since going Vegan there has been no recurrences. (The Doctors thought I had Chrones or IBS, then cancer then some inflammatory disease etc... they never figured it out but it seems to have gone away on its own!)

Secondly, Exercise: I have been doing martial arts since I was 6 years old and always told, when I was older of course, that you need to eat meat to build good strong muscles etc etc. This came from people whom I believed to be professionals in their fields. Since going Vegan I have had more energy after sessions, less time sore after big sessions (thus my muscles are repairing better and faster) and I feel like I get a lot more out of them as well. I am also developing muscle properly and the myth about lanky, thin, hippie vegans is well and truly busted!

Finally, Mentally: I have never liked the idea of harming animals and the environment. Sadly my father is a hunter and used to provide a lot of meat for our table. I never went hunting and could not stand seeing the process of cleaning the animal etc. Like most people, however, I was not even fully aware of all the environmental problems factory farming etc was causing until my partner showed me the "Earthlings" documentary (It was so hard to watch and I can admit, in the most manly way possible, that I did cry afterward). As I was being spontaneous and dropping everything to be with her (we had a long distance relationship at the time), I decided to drop my old life completely and did not even touch another animal product after that. Well so i thought. It is a long process to cut out everything and she is teaching me well. So dont beat yourself up when you find out that refined sugar is passed through animal bone. Just stop using it and learn from the experience.

To everyone on the fence, I hope this gives you something more to think about. I am not a seasoned Vegan by any standard, only about 5 months now, but it is a better life. I definitely feel much closer to this beautiful world we live in.
Thanks for reading,
G

colleengirl95
Apr 13th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I think that after being vegan i feel a lot better and happier. :) I don't get sick much and there are other positive changes that happened to me as well and it's been great.

DeMontfort
Apr 15th, 2011, 12:20 PM
No health change from Vegetarian to Vegan but I think my overall wellbeing has improved although I am not sure about stress levels when exposed to non-vegans!

There is about twelve pints of milk in the fridge due to my house mate obsessively buying a bottle every time he goes shopping! :mad:

SmileyDiver
Apr 15th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Not been a vegan long, but think my skin has cleared up a bit. Definiely dropped a few pounds though. Did notice less headaches, but have now had one for 2 days.
Think I feel healthier as I'm eating a wider range of veggies and lentils/pulses :-)

DeMontfort
Apr 15th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Welcome to our forum Smiley and congratulations on making the transition!

Apparently milk is really bad for the complexion. I have always had problems with my complexion but have noticed a small difference since kicking my milk habit.

Shepherd Mom
Apr 18th, 2011, 04:05 PM
No more migraines! I used to get them weekly and they were terrible...horrible head pain and nausea to the point of vomiting. And then the dreaded "migraine-hangover" after sleeping the darn thing off. (The hangover sort of feels like a horse kicked you in the eye.) I was always sensitve to dairy and since quitting it as well as meat I sleep better, I don't get stomachaches, my skin and hair quality have improved, my blood pressure dropped (from 160/90 to 120/78 at my last Doctor visit!!), I'm less irritable, my breath is better and my body has never looked better. Yay vegan lifestyle!

szender
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM
Hi,

i am a beginner. I have been vegan for 3-4 weeks, after 1-2 week transition. I am very happy to doing it, but i have some problems with it. I feel often weak, and have lack of energy,. I think my immune system is weaker too. I tracking my meals, and pretty shure i get all the nutritions what needed. I eat various grains, legumes, fuits ang vegs too. B12, D vitamin plus. I eat 2000-2500 calorie in a day, what is the recommended for me. I hope it is cause that my body need to get used to this diet. but maybe there is some psychological reason, becouse i am frustrated about it, cause in the beginning i felt my self very very badly. Now it is much better. But i do not want to give up : )

Shepherd Mom
Jan 31st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Hi,

i am a beginner. I have been vegan for 3-4 weeks, after 1-2 week transition. I am very happy to doing it, but i have some problems with it. I feel often weak, and have lack of energy,. I think my immune system is weaker too. I tracking my meals, and pretty shure i get all the nutritions what needed. I eat various grains, legumes, fuits ang vegs too. B12, D vitamin plus. I eat 2000-2500 calorie in a day, what is the recommended for me. I hope it is cause that my body need to get used to this diet. but maybe there is some psychological reason, becouse i am frustrated about it, cause in the beginning i felt my self very very badly. Now it is much better. But i do not want to give up : )

Stick with it; you're doing great and you will feel better! Right now your body is adjusting to the positive changes it is experiencing and also releasing old toxins; that's why you feel weak. Vitamins B12 and D are perfect....those are the two I also take. After a while I began to sleep better, look better, feel better and have much more energy to exercise. My sugar and salt cravings vanished and I began to crave fruits and veggies! I would recommend upping your daily intake of leafy greens and raw veggies.
Recipes:
1 bunch collard greens, rinsed and still damp
1 clove garlic, chopped fine
handful of raisins
handful of nuts: pine, sunflower or pumpkin, toasted in the oven at 350 degrees for a few minutes
2 Tablespoons Baslamic Vinegar
a little safflower, sunflower or olive oil

Saute the garlic in the oil for one minute, then add the damp collard greens and cover. Saute over medium-low heat for 3 minutes, then add the raisins and the nuts and cover. Saute for one minute, then mix in the basalmic vinegar and cover. Saute for one more minute, toss and serve.

Guacamole:
2 ripe avocados, pitted and mashed
2 tablespoons chopped red onion
handful of fresh chopped cilantro
a little salt to taste
a little fresh lime juice to taste
chopped tomatoes if you want
Mix all together and serve chilled w/ tortilla chips

I have been vegan for 2.5 years and I love it! I'll never go back. Good luck to you!

sandra
Jan 31st, 2012, 04:01 PM
Hi,

Hi Szender,

It is early days yet for you and you are bound to feel differently as your body gets used to your new vegan diet. After a while you will start to feel a lot better and healthier.
Of course if you don't feel better after a week or two more, there could be a medical problem that you would need to see your doctor about. Don't assume your lack of energy is to do with your diet.
As I said though, it is probably due to the change over from an unhealthy diet to a healthy diet so you should be fine. :)

harpy
Jan 31st, 2012, 05:28 PM
Nuts are good for giving you a steady supply of energy, Szender - do you sometimes eat those too?

VeganAthlete
Jan 31st, 2012, 06:04 PM
Oh, and one more thing: let's not be fanatic. If the switch means that you feel worse, have less energy or whatever, let us know. (Having said that; if you very recently have gone vegan and experience what is normally described as 'detox effects' like eg. acne, please wait with replying until you have been living on a vegan diet vegan for at least a month or two.)

I answered that my health and well-being has improved significantly. I'm not a new vegan whatsoever, but maybe from your experience or the experience of others I can have something answered....
I appear to be in a spontaneous 'detox' mode. A vegan diet is nothing new to me, but I still experience acne and all that detox stuff periodically. Could it be that I am in constant detox mode or could my age be a factor? O_o I turned 22 in December so my hormones could still be 'raging' lol

Risker
Feb 1st, 2012, 12:56 AM
^ It's not an acne cure.

szender
Feb 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
Thank you all! : )
Yes, i eat nuts & seeds everyday a lot. I am really sure tha my meals are perfectly contain everything needed. I read about it a lot.

Usually at 11am to 2pm is the critical period. Although i had an abundant breakfast (800-900 calorie sometimes), i feel headache, and less energy and concentration. After lunch it is ok. I dont really understand why it is happens.
I have been lacto-vegetarian for 8 years and there was no problem, just know.

I hope time will get the result : )
Thanx again!

Blueberries
Feb 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
Usually at 11am to 2pm is the critical period. Although i had an abundant breakfast (800-900 calorie sometimes), i feel headache, and less energy and concentration. After lunch it is ok. I dont really understand why it is happens.

It could be your body digesting such a big meal. I find that I feel better when I eat little and often, I get lethargic if I eat more sporadic, big meals.