PDA

View Full Version : How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Fruitbat
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:36 PM
Being vegan has ment complete recovery from an ED, fulfillment of an optimally healthy lifestyle (physcially and psychilogically) and at least alleviating my conscience about eco matters... Also made me proud and feel strong and independent as vegans were a matter of awe to me... Whilst becoming vegan, I have discovered new traits to me and feel I have finally become the person I want to be

wuggy
Sep 23rd, 2004, 09:44 PM
I agree, Fruitbat, I wake up every morning with a sense that I am becoming more and more whole, and feel a proper part of the universe!

Fruitbat
Sep 23rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
Yes I get a feeling of purity and that I am Whole again! It makes me at Peace with myself and the planet - though not with other human beings.

tofuy
Nov 13th, 2004, 02:10 AM
i'll say one thing for being vegan: you learn to cook really well.

JasperKat
Nov 19th, 2004, 05:09 PM
I waited until now to post, since I just went vegan this summer.
I feel better overall. The awful, knock-me-down stomach aches that I used to get 2-3 times a month are all but gone. I thought those were dairy related, but I had one the other day so I guess not. They are much less frequent though, and that's beyond fantastic.
I'm gaining weight, and that's not something I'm happy about. I need to eat more fresh fruits and veggies, but I have a major sweet tooth, I'm also a carb junkie. Bread and pasta and cereal.....Mmmm...
Mentally, I feel refreshed. I know that I am not contributing to the meat indsutry. I can look a cow in the eye now! :D I have more energy than I used to. Veganism gives me a sense of purpose, although it sometimes brings a lot of depression. It is one of the few decisions I've made that I have no second thoughts about.
-JK

megmsw
Nov 19th, 2004, 07:43 PM
I just went vegan this past summer and I have already noticed positive changes in my body. I feel better about myself. I have also had to learn to make new things and now I really love cooking and baking. There isn't one part of my life that being vegan hasn't impacted.

Ben
Nov 20th, 2004, 05:32 AM
I'm now into my third month of being vegan and have already noticed huge changes. I have more energy, and sleep less. Prior to becoming vegan it wasn't uncommon for me to sleep 10 hours or more, then wake up feeling groggy and depressed. After about a month of eating strictly vegan, no hydroginated oils, no carbonated beverages, I would sleep for an average of 6 to 7 hours, then wake up feeling refreshed and energized.

Bowel movements are like clockwork for me too. No upset stomache, no bloating, no excess farting or burping, no headaches. I believe my immune system has improved as well. Recently, three of my co-workers, who all eat Doritos and drink Pepsi at lunch break, spread a sickness to one another over a period of one week. They were coughing and suffering from a stuffy nose and sore throat. Despite working in close-quarters with them, I have not become sick. Not even a single sneeze.

JasperKat
Nov 20th, 2004, 09:22 PM
I believe my immune system has improved as well. Recently, three of my co-workers, who all eat Doritos and drink Pepsi at lunch break, spread a sickness to one another over a period of one week. They were coughing and suffering from a stuffy nose and sore throat. Despite working in close-quarters with them, I have not become sick. Not even a single sneeze.

My boyfriend caught a cold recently that laid him up for almost 4 days. I got the bug, but only had the sniffles for 2 days and felt well enough to go to work both days. All I had was a stuffy nose and small headache. I told him "I'm vegan now, I don't get sick." :D
-JK

drummer
Dec 21st, 2004, 03:26 AM
Banana, you say you hate soy yogurt, have you ever tried King Land soy yogurt? It tastes like real yogurt, not all watery like those other yukky brands. It is made in Queensland. The worst ones I tried were Soy Life (GE and owned by Pauls Milk, tastes terrible too) and Soygurt - it's not like yogurt at all!!! It's like water!

Yes, I believe my immune system has improved so much. I do not get the flu, coughs, colds, fever & viruses. In the middle of winter, I am the only one who is not sick. Before I became vegan I would get sick several times a year, always I would get that terrible mucusy cough in winter. Since I became vegan, I have only been sick about three times in nearly six years.

Mystic
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM
King Land is too rich and creamy for me - makes my tummy sore. When I get a yoghurt craving, I go for the Soygurt Natural, coz it is mild. The other flavours give me a tummyache too. The WORST soy yoghurt I have ever tried is the Earthangel Soyogurt - it tastes like raw tofu, but creamy and off :eek:

Mystic
Jan 20th, 2005, 07:53 PM
Oh and Soy Life is not vegan - has a dairy starter culture or something

Andie
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:49 PM
I'm the lone vegan at work and I'm the only one who had bronchitis last month when the stuff was going around town.

PinkFluffyCloud
Jan 20th, 2005, 09:51 PM
Oh dear, Andie!
I think you were knobbled!
Either that, or it was a 'rogue' strain! :p

Vora
Jan 20th, 2005, 11:02 PM
I'll have tomorrow to do a blood sample (It's been a while since I did one, I hate those !!! duh ! ) so I'll now how is my metabolism in a couple of days...
But as I am feeling...
Well... my asthma seems to have finally stop, my few heart problems too, and it appears that I had in fact a light dairy-products intolerance…
However, at the beginning of me being a vegan, I had soooooo much digestive problems if you see what I mean... lol *sweet drop*

kriz
Jan 21st, 2005, 04:08 AM
I have not been sick since becoming vegan 1 year ago. :) Almost everyone have been sick around me at one point, but it did not affect me :rolleyes: I need a lot less sleep also, 5 to 6 hrs. a night will do it for me. My energy level is much higher.........it's better on all fronts! :) :) I absolutely love being vegan!

Tigerlily
Jan 22nd, 2005, 03:09 PM
I used to have chronic sinus congestion. I would have a constant dull pain all around my eyes and parts of my nose. And I'd get a headache every day. It was quite horrible, worse than a migraine actually (which I got sometimes) because NOTHING would help my sinus headaches. I went to the doctor twice, nothing they can do. The first pill made my sick to my stomach and the nasal spray gave my nose bleeds and a very bad sore throat.

Someone then told me to stop drinking and eating dairy. I thought they were crazy! But I decided to cut it out and then decided to go vegan for both health and ethical reasons.

I've been dairy and animal free since November 20th or so and I rarely get headaches and my sinus pressure is gone. I recently found out that the person who told me to stop drinking dairy was RIGHT. Milk protein causes sinus congestion for some people...go figure? I used to be such a dairy junkie....milk, yougurt, cheese every day. I had like at least 4 dairy servings a day. Yuck!

PinkFluffyCloud
Mar 12th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Tigerlily, I am just the same! I still get occasional Sinus congestion because I have a Dust Mite Allergy, but I use a Neti Pot when that flares up. The Dairy really causes Sinus problems in some people because our bodies reject what is bad for us. I'm glad you feel better, now. :)

glorfindel
Mar 12th, 2005, 07:39 PM
I m a vegan for one year and a half, and can clearly see the difference between before and after the change:)
Besides the huge health gain ( beautifying of the skin, more energy, never sick ;) ), I feel much better now. :)
Respecting the environnment and every kinds of life became my favourite motto :) and makes me feel more self confident. (although I m still very shy )
Hence a better image of myself and the others.
I see that the the vegan lifestyle I ve chosen is full of benefits, especially when some friends ask me what my secret is :)

Kiva Dancer
Mar 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
* My sinuses have improved a million fold - no more congestion, no more sinus headaches, no more allergies, no more stuffy noses. My ears don't ache like they used to, either and my sense of smell is quite sharp, now.

* I don't get sick as often. I used to get sick 4, 5, sometimes 6 or more times a year and it would take me 1-2 weeks to get over each illness, but now I'm down to MAYBE getting sick 1-2 times a year and I'm over it within 2 days.

* Cuts and bruises heal much faster than they used to although I'm still quite the clutz (the vegan diet hasn't helped that yet :D ).

* My skin is clearer and smoother. I also found that my lips stay red all the time, and I haven't had to use lipstick in ages. Those dark patches on my face are also starting to go away and for the first time in my life, I actually have some colour in my cheeks.

* My arthritis is better and I don't have any redness in any of my joints. Even on cold days. I still have a bit of problems with my energy, but it's nothing like I used to have.

* My digestion has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm quite regular these days (I used to be another once a week wonder :eek: ), I don't have stomach problems like I used to and I don't feel draggy after meals. My sense of taste has sharpened dramatically, too.

Evilfluffbunny
Mar 12th, 2005, 11:45 PM
When I first turned vegan 5 years ago I noticed a huge difference ~ I'd been getting bad period pains every month since I was 11 and had to lie down with a hot water bottle because I felt too bad to do anything else, then after turning vegan, the pain was next to nothing. I doubt it could have just been coincidence as I'd been having bad pain for a solid 9 years and it just seemed to calm down the first month after I went vegan.

I'd also been constantly 'gacky' in my chest and throat and felt I had to kind of cough a little before speaking so that I could clear it - that all got better too though after a very short time. :)

I also feel better spiritually (if that's the right word) as I used to always feel really guilty about buying things with egg in the ingredients because I knew it probably wouldn't be free-range, or I'd feel terrible putting milk in my tea after I realised where veal comes from. It's a huge weight of my shoulders now and although I know I'm not going to change the world, I feel I'm living in a way that's less of a strain on the environment, animals & people.

I honestly can't think of any negative side effects I've had.

gertvegan
Mar 13th, 2005, 06:56 PM
Wow wee. Over 70% of those that voted said that their health and/or sense of well-being has improved a lot. And almost 15% said their health and/or sense of well-being has improved a little.

*gert blows raspberry to any doubters :p*

Kiva Dancer
Mar 18th, 2005, 06:24 PM
Has anyone else noticed that their nails grow fast - I mean like really fast?

Evilfluffbunny
Mar 18th, 2005, 06:47 PM
Has anyone else noticed that their nails grow fast - I mean like really fast?

Yes! I've been called a freak for this reason as I have to cut them (and my toe nails) so often! :D My nails are also very white and strong but before I was vegan they were quite transparent looking.

feline01
Mar 20th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Yes! I've been called a freak for this reason as I have to cut them (and my toe nails) so often! :D My nails are also very white and strong but before I was vegan they were quite transparent looking.
Me and my husband were amazed at that as well. It's annoying because we have to keep our nails short for the babies but I think it must be some sort of sign of better health. :D

Glenda the Good Witch
Mar 21st, 2005, 02:58 AM
I voted that my wellbeing changed a little. I guess when I went vegan [years ago now] I was hoping for sky rockets and firecrackers and that all my problems would be solved! But that wasn't the case hehehe I do not regret it any of it though and am happier *inside* because of it.