PDA

View Full Version : How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10

moochbabe
Sep 10th, 2005, 04:21 AM
anneh, I have to say that i too am a little confused about your response to this thread and to most of those that posted. i don't think anyone on here expects everyone to have perfect health and condemns those that do not. However, i do think that if u r feeling worse physically being vegan, there may be something lacking in your diet or something becuase there has been study after study that a vegan diet should, if not improve your health, then at least keep it relatively stable, there is nothing indicating that health should decline from a vegan diet. i think that anyone who said something to u about ur feeling worse was only concerned about whether or not u r getting the proper nutrients, not attacking u in any way. i hope u can find the reason that u r not feeling well lately, and i hope that, if it is diet related, u will see that it is still easy to be physically healthy on a vegan diet and that it shouldn't be expected for health to decline. also, there is no one that i've seen saying that depression shouldn't ever come, it is kind of a natural part of life, and as someone priorly stated, people post a lot on here, and they will not always be in the best of moods, no one ever is, not even the happiest most even tempered people r like that ALL the time. :)

Roxy
Sep 10th, 2005, 05:38 AM
I have been becoming a "junk food vegan" lately and I'm pretty sure I've put on some weight. I don't own a bathroom scale, but I'm almost certain my pants are tighter than they were a couple of weeks ago.

Right - time to wean myself OFF the junkfood and back to better eating!!

anneh
Sep 10th, 2005, 06:55 AM
anneh-
i cannot understand why you think a vegan lifestyle makes a person un-healthy...

you say that vegans get sick and die....... yeah some vegans do...

and so do some omnivores...

as far as depression goes...yeah, people get depressed...studies show that as many as 4 out of 10 people may be depressed at any point in their life.. and that 8 out of 10 will or have had depression at one point in thier life.

i really dont understand why you think a vegan lifestyle is "dangerous"??.... :o

That's not what I said!! I said that personally, I don't feel that I'm physically healthier for it. Perhaps I'm not allowed to say that? I just felt that the existing posts on this thread were giving the over-riding impression that gong vegan wold cure all your ills. I'm sorry if I spoke out of line, I thought I was participating in a poll. Also most of my explanation has been deleted which I find interesting.:(

mophoto
Sep 10th, 2005, 06:58 AM
I have been becoming a "junk food vegan" lately and I'm pretty sure I've put on some weight. I don't own a bathroom scale, but I'm almost certain my pants are tighter than they were a couple of weeks ago.

Right - time to wean myself OFF the junkfood and back to better eating!!

i went to whole foods today and went a little crazy with the junk food, too. in the bulk section i bought what ever candy was marked vegan. i got some low fat gummy candy, semi sweet chocolate, and dark chocolate covered almonds. the almonds are so good. i bought potato chips, also. haven't had any of this stuff since going vegan and i have to drive at least a 1/2 hour to get to any vagan friendly stores so i feel the need to stock up.

moochbabe
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:06 AM
That's not what I said!! I said that personally, I don't feel that I'm physically healthier for it. Perhaps I'm not allowed to say that? I just felt that the existing posts on this thread were giving the over-riding impression that gong vegan wold cure all your ills. I'm sorry if I spoke out of line, I thought I was participating in a poll. Also most of my explanation has been deleted which I find interesting.:(

I don't understand y u have this strong impression that anyone is trying to sensor what u say...it does seem weird however that u seem to be prectically saying that a vegan diet is unhealthy. I don't believe it to be a cure-all or even to cure anything necessarily, but exepting bad health due to veganism is a bit strange...

anneh
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:22 AM
I don't understand y u have this strong impression that anyone is trying to sensor what u say...it does seem weird however that u seem to be prectically saying that a vegan diet is unhealthy. I don't believe it to be a cure-all or even to cure anything necessarily, but exepting bad health due to veganism is a bit strange...

Maybe because what I posted was deleted. I think that a vegan diet should be healthier, I really do. I'm sure it is for most people. The poll doesn't ask "Do you think that being vegan is unhealthy?", it asks "How has the change to a vegan diet has affected you?" and I was trying to answer that. I'm sorry if my answer upset or mislead anyone.

moochbabe
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM
it didn't upset me, and i'm very sorry about ur post being deleted and that u haven't experienced very good health. i hope everything (including the post issue) gets sorted out :o

skye
Sep 10th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Urbandryad - I too have struggled with the cost of trying new things, it seems extra costly to try new vegan foods and not like them. Luckly I have a neighbor - her family is vegetarian, her son can not eat dairy - so mostly they buy vegan. We have started taste tests at each others houses whenever one of us buys something new - eveyone in both familys tries a bite. Its helped a lot to avoid making the wrong purchases.

In regards to health and the vegan diet, I would like to say that diet is only one aspect of a persons health. I have had times in my life where I have been active and eaten healthy and been constantly sick because of stress and/or lack of rest. Diet is only a part of our health. I think that there are a couple of misconseptions about being vegetarian or vegan - one is that being vegetarian or vegan means you are healthier, although this choice can certainly impact your health/wellbeing it is not the only factor. The other misconception is that being vegetarian or vegan you have a healthy diet - I have a vegetarian friend who lives on coffee, diet coke and pasta. I myself have gone through many times that my diet/lifestyle has been lacking in some area and my overall health has been affected. Being Vegan doesn't make you healthy - A healthy person is healthy due to the overall choices they make. That said for myself a vegan diet has improved my health but in switching to a vegan diet I also gave up most refinded and processed food. I think people go through an adjustment period too - its like working out if you haven't for a while it may not be so pleasant right away. I went through what felt like detox - not fun.

Stormypagan
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:18 PM
Vegans dying???? Hmmm in the 17 years that I have been vegan I have to say that I have never heard of that unless they were of old age or died throught an accident or something, but never their diet. I have seen my health improve since being vegan and seen the health of others improve too. My son is nearly 7 and a life time vegan and wow is he a healthy little guy!!

Of course a balanced diet is important but I see more people die from illnesses caused from eating meat and dairy than I have ever of vegans (ok I know the proportions are different in relation to the amount of meat eaters etc..) I see meateaters/dairy consumers eat worse diets than me, thats for sure. All meat and no veg some of these people. Why have we got high cases of obesity, heart disease and cancers, apart from outside pollutants, it is down to what people eat. There are more allergies nowadays then ever before many caused by diary products.

And why is the British Government and media on one about the health of the nation .... because the nation eats crap. As a pregnant woman (27 weeks now) I am advised to basically cut out most dairy and meat because the possible affect on the unborn child. Well I cut it all out anyway so that's cool and I am totally convinced my children are getting the best start in life.

Anyway, don't be fooled by the misled media or stories you have heard. Veganism is not only ethically sound by healthier too!!!

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

Stormypagan
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Yes, emotional as well as physical well being are important in relation to health but being vegan will give you a good head start there!! The purer the body the purer the spirit I believe.

Love and light
Xxxx Stormy xxxX

puffin
Sep 10th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Well maybe a vegan diet works better for some people. I cant remember how i felt before i was vegan so im not going to say i feel super healthy now. I remember being ill alot a few years ago due to working to hard, feeling emotional and not eating much. I dont blame it on being vegan, i blame it on not looking after myself and doing to much.

xwitchymagicx
Sep 17th, 2005, 02:49 AM
I don't know if it changed me or not really. I find it can get a little stressful sometimes with not being able to eat any of the vegan products because they contain gluten or something. I find I feel better when I eat properly which isn't all the time as I get depressed and stop eating sometimes and just don't want to cook. Never being able to eat out with people gets annoying sometimes and people find me annoying because I refuse to eat until I know 100% what is it what I am eating. :p I still eat honey at the moment sometimes not always though just in the bars and stuff and I don't eat organic or anything because I'm not going to make my mum pay for all that when I am paying myself I'll eat that sort of thing. ;)

I do argue more though sometimes with non-vegans as they never think my diet is healthy! But really most meat eaters are not healthy they still don't get enough calcium or vitamins even though they eat meat. :rolleyes: Well I know what I am getting at anyway. ;)

mew_76
Oct 27th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Im a brand spanking new vegan and I was just wondering if anyone else lost a chunk of weight when they first changed their diet. I don't know if im just being paranoid ( maybe because everyone keeps saying Im going to make myself ill by being a vegan) but is is normal during the period of adjustment for the body to react like that.

Its totally wierd as Im eating far better than I ever did, less in terms of the crap I used to shove down my gullet but we're talking quality food now rather than existing on processed snacks and ready meals. Im not eating all the stuff I used to eat between meals either (crisps and chocolate bars). I eat LOADS of fruit and veg now. Im confused and getting a bit freaked out at the same time. Do you think you have to eat more as a vegan?

If anyone has any advice it would be much appreciate:D

medus
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:16 PM
Try body mass index calculator to check if your weight is normal or not:
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/calc-bmi.htm

Yes, vegan food is more tasty to me too... I don't know if I eat more or less, I just try to keep the variety to get everything my body needs. I eat loads of fruits and vegetables but think that "heavy" foods are important too, like nuts, cereals, brown bread, boiled potatoes, etc.
Btw, I was and am thin :) It just doesn't matter what I eat.

mew_76
Oct 27th, 2005, 08:36 PM
Hey Medus, thanks for posting.

Im just scoffing a huge tofu stirfry!!:D Its just new diet anxiety with me I think but I'll check out that BMI thing. I think you just have to be more prepared when you're vegan so you don't end up having houmas and pitta for every lunch! Im looking forward to the weekend so I can go out and get some vegan recipe books and start getting a bit of variety. Its quite exciting.

I was never much of a cook but Im kinda getting in to it. Its a pleasure to spend time preparing fresh food and everything seems to taste so much better. :)

Roxy
Oct 30th, 2005, 02:56 AM
My boyfriend had his cholesterol tested 2 years ago and the doctor told him it was a little bit too high.

He just went and had it checked again last week and the doctor said it was excellent! :D This made me very happy because he has been eating a mostly vegan diet for the last year and a half and I think this attributed greatly to the lowering of his cholesterol!

moochbabe
Oct 30th, 2005, 02:58 AM
that's excellent news Roxy!

Panda
Oct 30th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Hi I Have been Vegan for 20months now and I haven't been sick in 13months no colds or sniffles or sore throats or bronchitis. that usually hamper me for about 3 months of an average year. It was my aim to go a year without being sick and I have done it. I think also the fact i changed my job from office to gardening has helped alot although my work mates still got colds this winter. Also I have taken up chi kung which is absolutely brilliant on calming the mind and body. Vegan just rocks my world i have never felt better people who haven't seen me for a while ask what my secret is because i look so healthy and relaxed. The only thing that upsets me is the sad case of animal cruelty and the total destruction of nature and the planet. It makes me sad to be human. But as far as me personally i have no problems whatsoever. So that is how the vegan diet has affected me in the last 2 years.

moochbabe
Nov 1st, 2005, 03:47 AM
that's woderful Panda!

Hemlock
Nov 1st, 2005, 08:53 AM
I feel fantastic since going vegan, my skin is glowing and I feel happy every morning wheras before I used to wake up in a bad mood still exhausted. I am 43 but still have hardly any lines on my face.
It's not just the diet though, I also gave up smoking, lost a lot of weight, started exercising regularly and using only natural products such as crystal deodorant and Green face creams and moved from a polluted town to the countryside all of which contribute to well being.
As a nurse I have seen countless people who are being killed by their diet, smoking, obesity, taking too many drugs, pollution and stress. All these issues need to be addressed.

Pilaf
Nov 1st, 2005, 06:12 PM
Exactly, Hemlock. I see the Vegan lifestyle as a lifestyle of prevention, as well as compassion. Prevention in the sense of the data laid out by the excellent tome, The China Study..almost guaranteed prevention of most chronic diseases. Just another reason to make the change.

Eliana
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM
I didn't find any changes because I'm not eating very healthy, although vegan.
For the rest... well, at least before I was in peace with my ignorance. :(
Becoming a vegan wasn't a choice, after I got to know the terrible things that animals have to undergo it was the only thing I could do.
So now I feel only more anger and more depressed because I know that my personal choice is not even a little drop in the ocean of animals suffering.
OK. It's a 'no' day.

abrennan
Nov 2nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
I've got fatter since being vegan, but I think its more about lack of exercise

For some reaon I just love being vegan, I feel free because of it. I don't feel restricted, I feel liberated.

:cool:

Hemlock
Nov 2nd, 2005, 08:22 PM
I've got fatter since being vegan, but I think its more about lack of exercise

For some reaon I just love being vegan, I feel free because of it. I don't feel restricted, I feel liberated.

:cool:

Bloody hippy:D

abrennan
Nov 3rd, 2005, 12:16 AM
:d