PDA

View Full Version : How has the change to a vegan diet affected you?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Korn
Jun 24th, 2004, 09:10 AM
What effect have switching to a vegan diet had on you?

Korn
Jun 24th, 2004, 09:18 AM
Oh, and one more thing: let's not be fanatic. If the switch means that you feel worse, have less energy or whatever, let us know. (Having said that; if you very recently have gone vegan and experience what is normally described as 'detox effects' like eg. acne, please wait with replying until you have been living on a vegan diet vegan for at least a month or two.)

harpy
Jun 24th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Interesting question. I think my health improved a bit - mainly because I couldn't digest dairy products very well latterly but it may also have resolved some hormonal problems.

My sense of well-being improved a lot though because I don't feel (so) guilty about what I eat any more (leaving aside the questions of airmiles, exploited labourers etc!)

Artichoke47
Jun 26th, 2004, 04:55 AM
I like myself better and have less stress. I feel at peace.

foxytina_69
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM
my asthma is basically gone, my bones dont ache, my nose isnt sniffly and sneezy 24 hours a day, my allergies have gone down significantly, my skin glows, and i can wake up in the morning without feeling horrible.

Roxy
Jun 26th, 2004, 07:55 AM
My hair and skin seem a lot healthier, I have lost 17 pounds, I don't bloat like I used to, I don't get menstrual cramps as bad as I used to, I have more energy than I used to and I don't seem to need as much sleep as I used to.

eve
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I've been vegan for well over 30 yrs. Started basically for ethical reasons - compassion for the animals killed to be eaten, and tortured/killed by people in white coats in laboratories. But for some time now, for health reasons, I'm glad to have taken such a step. Moreover it is obviously better for the planet the more vegans there are.

The number of veggies and vegans has increased over the years, suitable foods available has improved enormously, the number of activists in the antivivisection movement has grown. BUT, the sad part is that over time the number of animals slaughtered has increased exponentially, both for eating and for experimentation - running to billions per annum.

cedarblue
Jun 29th, 2004, 06:36 PM
i had spots over my forehead and temples after about three weeks but all gone now! also, i feel less 'clogged'!

Mystic
Jul 1st, 2004, 03:31 AM
Healthwise, I am not really sure how I have been affected. I was anorexic before, so I am certain that eating anything would have been a good thing!!!! Anyway, I did have a blood test a few months back which revealed high levels of each vitamin, except iron which was on the low side of normal. I am not sure about calcium. B12 was excellent too. But surprisingly, I had a very high cholestrol reading...must be hereditary because my Mother had this problem and my grandfather died from a heart attack after several years of heart and cardiovascular problems.

I crave a lot of sugar and dairy products though. Especially yoghurt. I hate soy yoghurt. I also get IBS depending on my stress levels if I eat certain things that are a bit fatty, like peanut butter or anything fried or cooked in excess oil. Since I stopped eating oats all the time, I don't get stabbing pains in my guts anymore.

If I have anything with a high GI on it's own, I get shaky and dazed about an hour or so later, which is fixed by more food.

As far as my spirit is concerened, I feel good that I am doing something good - I love animals and being a vegan has almost helped me build an identity after being ill. I have some sort of a purpose. But I also feel somewhat controlling and also a little deprived...this makes me feel guilty because I feel evil and self indulgent. Why should animals die for my pleasure?

So there is good with bad, bad with good. I don't know if I will be vegan forever...only time will tell.

Kuklasmom
Jul 1st, 2004, 04:42 AM
Dear Banana,

Hello from Chicago!

From your post, it seems like a vegan diet really agrees with you, and that's terrific! You're absolutely right--being a vegan does give a person a purpose. You're doing something positive to help animals, other people, and the whole planet.

I've been a vegan for about 10 years (my dog is a healthy, 4-year-old German Shepherd mix who is also a vegan--with her veterinarian's hearty approval!).

I am also very fortunate--I watch my diet and I enjoy good health. Being a vegan has brought me nothing but good, and I'm not just talking about the direct health benefits and the number of animal lives that have been spared because I don't eat animal products! (If that weren't enough, right?)

I've met people who are interested in helping animals, helping others, making their lives better, making the planet better--how? By being vegans.

So this is just a short note of encouragement to stick with your vegan lifestyle. It sounds like you're doing so well already--and things will only get better from here, guaranteed!

Best regards,
Kukla's Mom

eve
Jul 1st, 2004, 05:38 AM
hello banana
You mention a high cholesterol reading. Same here, even though I've not eaten animal products for so long. And you're right, it is hereditary. As to effects from high glycaemic, well obviously you'll have to carefully choose low glycaemic. This is something that anyone with type 2 diabetes needs to do.

But high in spirit, well that's great. Feeling deprived? Of what, animal products? Both you and the animals benefit from a vegan diet, and so does the planet.
I wish you all the best.

Mystic
Jul 1st, 2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the encouragement guys!!!! I feel a lot better now. It is hard sometimes when you think how cadbury is more delicious then soychocolate...but then again, I suppose the deliciousness comes at a painful cost!

Artichoke47
Jul 4th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I think my lips are a prettier color since going vegan, for whatever reason. :)

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Jul 18th, 2004, 07:01 AM
The rawfoodists seem to enjoy the effect of their diet too: http://www.rawfoodsupport.com/read.php?f=12&i=20621&t=20621

Gorilla
Jul 21st, 2004, 12:27 PM
i think since becoming vegan i look better because i have lost excess weight and have more energy, but i am suffering from quite bad acne, it's not a detox thing because i've been vegan nearly a year and it hasn't got any better. i think it's hormonal as i've always had high testosterone for a girl and i was taking the pill to counteract it, but stopped taking it when i went vegan (if anyone has any vegan remedy for this please see my other post on the subject!).

i feel healthier and mentally more stable (had a few mental health problems in the past, not cured but a bit better). as many people here have said i feel more at peace with myself and i have more of a purpose.

:D

cast_the_flames
Jul 22nd, 2004, 02:51 AM
i've stopped getting bad pms.

Artichoke47
Aug 2nd, 2004, 04:57 PM
I also notice that my hair is so soft. I don't even need conditioner. I love it!

gertvegan
Aug 19th, 2004, 01:12 PM
Bowel movements like clockwork. Somebody had to say it, may as well be me.

gertvegan
Aug 24th, 2004, 01:58 PM
This is from the vegan md (http://www.veganmd.org/march2004.html) .

Bowel Movement Frequency

With a title like "Nutrition and Lifestyle in Relation to Bowel Movement Frequency," I knew it just had to be good.[1] In the biggest study of it's kind ever, British researchers compared the reported bowel habits of about 15,000 meateaters to 5000 vegetarians and about 1000 vegans.

The study was peppered with memorable quotes like "That non meat-eaters have a higher frequency of defecation is well documented" and "Our finding of a very clear trend towards an increasing number of bowel movements with a more rigorous degree of vegetarianism could be a field for further investigation."

Constipation is the most common gastrointestinal complaint in the United States, leading to millions of doctor visits every year. Constipation can increase one's risk for a hiatal hernia, varicose veins, hemorrhoids, and painful conditions with names like "anal fissure."

The researchers conclude "Being vegetarian and especially vegan is strongly associated with a higher frequency of bowel movements." Vegans, for example, were three times more likely to have daily BMs.

It's like we've always said: vegans are just regular people :)

Now get that pic out of your head.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM
This is a great thing! To be regular and not have that toxic matter sitting in the bowel where the toxins can get reabsorbed, causing headaches, foul breath and other toxic symptoms. Natural health proponents believe the healthiest people have a bowel movement after each time the person eats...

gertvegan
Aug 27th, 2004, 06:21 PM
Another article on the bowel movement topic, this time in the lastest The Vegetarian & Vegan Foundation UK (http://www.vegetarian.org.uk/) magazine.

Regular veggies

We might be embarrassed to talk about constipation but its probable link with colorectal cancer should make us open up! Infrequent bowel movements is one way of diagnosing constipation but its causes are not well understood. The aim of a study published early this year was to investigate just how different lifestyles and diets affect bowel frequency.
Researchers were able to tap into a massive piece of current work. It's called the EPIC study (European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition), is Europe-wide and is trying to assess what aspects of our life might influence cancer. EPIC-Oxford is the British contribution to the study. The lifestyles of over 20,000 men and women were analysed via a questionnaire that included a question on how many bowel movements they had each week. There were very clear differences. Vegans had the most, followed by vegetarians and fish-eaters, with meat-eaters having the lowest number. Fibre and fluid intake and vigorous exercise were found to increase bowel movement.
The answer seems to be - get moving with a veggie/vegan diet! ;)

foxytina_69
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:11 PM
This is a great thing! To be regular and not have that toxic matter sitting in the bowel where the toxins can get reabsorbed, causing headaches, foul breath and other toxic symptoms. Natural health proponents believe the healthiest people have a bowel movement after each time the person eats...

i must be healthy then! :D

Roxy
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:43 PM
Isn't that funny. I used to live with a guy who would have a bowel movement after every single thing he ate. I thought it was weird. Even if we were eating out - he would have to go to the bathroom straight after the meal, before leaving the eating establishment.

And then at the other extreme, my partner's ex-wife has something wrong with her, where she only has a bowel movement every 4 or 5 days. Perhaps that's why she's the way she is!!

Roxy

foxytina_69
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:44 PM
oh god that would be horrible :\

Roxy
Sep 1st, 2004, 05:46 PM
Yeah she is lol