PDA

View Full Version : Atkins

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

tricia
Apr 25th, 2004, 04:12 PM
This is quite funny...

If you are easily offended by swear words then do not watch... You have been warned... Hope you enjoy...

http://www.illwillpress.com/fatkins.html

Roxy
Apr 25th, 2004, 07:16 PM
LMFAO!!! :D

Roxy

cedarblue
Apr 25th, 2004, 07:18 PM
funny - lol :D

Michael
Apr 25th, 2004, 07:28 PM
That little animated squirrel said it better then anyone I've ever heard.

globesetter
Apr 25th, 2004, 08:13 PM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I laughed so hard I almost choked on my hot chocolate soy milk.

My favorite part is about the apple : the scream of frustration is brilliant.

Thanks, Tricia.

regards,
globesetter

foxytina_69
Apr 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM
baaaahahahahahhaha!

my sister and her husband keep trying this diet!!!!!! im definitely showing them this.

tricia
Apr 26th, 2004, 01:18 AM
i cant stop watchin this cartoon.. its jus too funny...

Kiva Dancer
Apr 27th, 2004, 12:04 AM
Love it!! :D

julieruble
Apr 30th, 2004, 01:12 AM
yeah, that is pretty offensive.

tricia
Apr 30th, 2004, 04:22 AM
hence the warning... im not too offended by swear words but i realize other ppl may be...

LaBanditaRoja
Apr 30th, 2004, 09:19 AM
I was just sitting there most of the time and was thinking I enjoy it, I like the whole part about the image made by our society, this is funny and smart...and then the end came and he sings that little ditty about "I want my waffle sundae. Give me my carbs." and I busted up. I loved that part so much.
Thanks.

tricia
May 1st, 2004, 03:55 AM
i love that part too at the end... ahh hes such a cute little squirrel...

Cameron
May 8th, 2004, 04:09 AM
Good stuff!!! Thanks

Pandora
Jun 18th, 2004, 09:04 AM
That was awesome!

globesetter
Jun 25th, 2004, 08:26 AM
Dr. Michael Gregor has compiled all the facts that can be found on the Atikins diet - or low carb in general, and has put up a comprehensive website about it - http://www.AtkinsFacts.org

regards,
globesetter

julieruble
Jun 25th, 2004, 02:29 PM
This idea that "maybe calories, not carbohydrates, are to blame for our obesity epidemic," and that low-carb diets work solely by lowering calories, is unfounded. In fact, in studies where people ate the same number of calories where one group ate calories from carbs and the other ate calories from fats, the latter group lost the most weight. That's simply not all there is to it. I'm looking around and trying to find where I saw this study.

I think the main problem with low carb diets is that people ONLY get the "low carb" message, and get excited about eating high fats, and the wrong fats. I think if they put a little more effort into studying what the idea is behind low-carb diets, and what the idea is not, they'd manage to eat healthy, including enough vegetables and the right kind of meats, and maintain health while losing more weight than they've been able to in the past. But people, perhaps especially Americans, are notorious for not wanting to learn/research about decisions.

globesetter
Jun 25th, 2004, 03:56 PM
All studies ever done on low carb diets and their results are compiled on this site - Dr. Gregor, is a very thorough researcher and post all sources - everything he reports can be checked. For example:

The world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals,[7] calls the Atkins Diet "a nightmare of a diet."[8] The official spokesperson of the American Dietetic Association elaborated: "The Atkins Diet and its ilk--any eating regimen that encourages gorging on bacon, cream and butter while shunning apples, all in the name of weight loss--are a dietitian's nightmare."[9] The ADA has been warning Americans about the potential hazards of the Atkins Diet for almost 30 years now.[10] Atkins dismissed such criticism as "dietitian talk".[11] "My English sheepdog," Atkins once said, "will figure out nutrition before the dieticians do."[12]

The problem for Atkins (and his sheepdog), though, is that the National Academy of Sciences, the most prestigious scientific body in the United States, agrees with the AMA and the ADA in opposing the Atkins Diet.[13] So does the American Cancer Society;[14] and the American Heart Association;[15] and the Cleveland Clinic;[16] and Johns Hopkins;[17]and the American Kidney Fund;[18] and the American College of Sports Medicine;[19] and the National Institutes of Health.[20]

In fact there does not seem to be a single major governmental or nonprofit medical, nutrition, or science-based organization in the world that supports the Atkins Diet.[21] As a 2004 medical journal review concluded, the Atkins Diet "runs counter to all the current evidence-based dietary recommendations."[22]

A 2003 review of Atkins "theories" in the Journal of the American College of Nutrition concluded: "When properly evaluated, the theories and arguments of popular low carbohydrate diet books... rely on poorly controlled, non-peer-reviewed studies, anecdotes and non-science rhetoric. This review illustrates the complexity of nutrition misinformation perpetrated by some popular press diet books. A closer look at the science behind the claims made for [these books] reveals nothing more than a modern twist on an antique food fad."[23]

regards,
globesetter

julieruble
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:09 PM
All right, and I disagree. Counter to all the current "evidence-based" dietary recommendations indeed! Low-fat diets were in vogue way before any basis of evidence was found for them, and although I don't have a huge problem with them, there are plenty of misconceptions and oversimplifications in research done to "prove" that low-fat is the way to go. Also, there are plenty of people who low-carb incorrectly and unsafely.

I haven't read the whole site yet which is why I only made a comment about one statement I saw that I thought was incorrect based on a study I'd seen previously. Frankly, I think usually people who've already made up their minds start poking around to support their decisions, quote a bunch of people who agree with them, etc. etc., which is sort of how I feel about PCRM as well. Rest assured I'll look further, though, and see if I think this is the case.

By the way, ALL studies done on the Atkins diet are compiled on the site? I'll look a little harder when I'm not at work, but so far, I can't find the short-term study where those on a low-carb diet had lower risk factors for heart disease than those on a regular diet. This looks, as I stated before, pretty one-sided.

Sabster
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:56 AM
:lol: Too funny. But I have seen plenty of fat squirrels. Maybe it's a southern thing:shrugs:

phillip888
Jul 2nd, 2004, 06:27 AM
I've always wondered how people can work so hard to defend atkins.

Nice link. Thanks.

julieruble
Jul 2nd, 2004, 12:12 PM
Usually it starts with reading some things that convince you it's not quirky at all, but based on how your body works. Then you read some things about how base-less a low-fat diet was in the beginning, and the mysterious nature of the connections between things like cholesterol and heart disease. It makes you think it's not such a clear-cut subject. Then you start hearing things about heart disease risk factors and weight decreasing on a low-carb diet. Finally, you know people who are healthier and who weigh less using the diet.

Basically, a lot of people decide to make fun / criticize Atkins who don't know too much and say things like "well they'll be sorry when they have a heart attack!" I mean, if you've read about it (and at least I know globesetter has read about it), that's one thing. But I get sick of baseless criticism about something that was what people needed: to hear that they were eating the wrong carbs (breads and sugars) and too much of them. The only thing you might not agree with is limiting your vegetable intake, but even with the limit, you can get plenty of fruits and vegetables on the diet. And contrary to what the news media and commercials lead you to believe, not everyone on Atkins eats steak and bacon everyday. My parents eat lean meats with a lot of flavor, fruits, vegetables, and even a dessert every now and then (cheesecake's a favorite). They drink tons of water, exercise -- they're healthy while limiting their carb intake so as to encourage their body to use their fat stores.

There's nothing crazy about the diet when done right. The way it's marketed, though, is key to helping people understand how to do it right.

John
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Suppose that Dr. Atkins did't really die from a fall on the street. If he in fact died of a heart attack wouldn't there be many people who could stand to lose financially... (cue Perry Mason music) :eek:

ConsciousCuisine
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:37 AM
[QUOTE=
There's nothing crazy about the diet when done right. The way it's marketed, though, is key to helping people understand how to do it right.[/QUOTE]
I must tell you, you are misinformed. High protein diets are dangerous. Too much protein damages the kidneys and other organs! It also creates an ACID condition in the body that is toxic!

Dr. Atkins is not the first one to create this way of "dieting". Au contraire- he merely jumped on the bandwagon. Before him there was "The Airforce Diet" The Drinking Man's Diet" and more! They all are based on the same premise- an unhealthy one!

Throughout time, the areas of the world and peoples who have had less of the major killer diseases are those that follow a high carbohydrate/starch based diet! Read about "KETOSIS", and what it does to your system and then decide for yourself if this is not "crazy".

Read up! There is so much information out there and you can find the truth!

julieruble
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:41 AM
Well I think everyone's aware he had heart problems, but I also think that (a) his heart troubles were reportedly caused by various factors, and (b) one man's death does not a study make. There was that whole big scandal about that that PCRM tried to scare up, but I don't know that it really did much damage to the reputation of the diet for the people who were on it and saw their lives changing.

I just have an issue with deciding people must be ignorant if their diet choices are different than yours. Especially since my parents are some of these low-carb people, and they've read plenty, understand the mechanisms, have experienced remarkable weight loss, and are living on a healthy, very well-managed diet.

julieruble
Jul 15th, 2004, 03:45 AM
I must tell you, you are misinformed. High protein diets are dangerous. Too much protein damages the kidneys and other organs! It also creates an ACID condition in the body that is toxic!

Actually, there's only evidence for this in kidneys that are ALREADY damaged, so far as I can tell from all I've read on the subject.

Read up! There is so much information out there and you can find the truth!

THAT's what bothers me -- people assuming that if you disagree with them, you must not have read about it. My parents have been in ketosis for about 6 months now. Also, I've ready plenty on various diets. While I'm not saying this is the only thing that works, I don't think it's inherently an unhealthy idea.