View Full Version : Save the whales

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

eve
Jul 19th, 2004, 05:26 AM
Read the latest on the whaling issue http://veganic.net/updates.html

tsunami
Jul 21st, 2004, 05:33 AM
Thanks for the update.

WSPA and HSUS also have some news abut it as well.

John
Jul 22nd, 2004, 06:35 AM
Wow. That's a facinating link. One part I found particularly interesting was how male English fish are turning female from the release of female hormones from contraceptives in sewage.

I also have to hand it to you Brits for the organization and acomlishments of AR activists.

eve
Jul 22nd, 2004, 08:39 AM
Hi John, Glad you liked the link - I update news items a few times a week there. Incidentally I have to hand it to AR activists wherever they are. (I was a Brit but now an Aussie though I often use a yahoo.co.uk address). I've just posted a msg here on Vegan Forum about PETA and KFC.

John
Jul 28th, 2004, 09:59 PM
Of course, a hand for all the groups around the world. :)

Tofu Monster
Jul 29th, 2004, 03:34 PM
On the same subject, it was in the news recently that the government (UK) has brought in around 40 special prosecutors to help monitor the animal rights movement and assist the police to crack down against animal rights activists.

veganblue
Mar 10th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I have heard from two people today that America is supporting a resumption of whaling!!! Has anyone else heard this!! I was on the news today and I have heard it from people in two states here in Australia.

Spiral
Apr 12th, 2005, 05:59 PM
Japan in plan to expand whaling (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/4436231.stm)

Japan is proposing to expand its controversial whaling research programme.
The plan would see Japan nearly double its catch of minke whales and start catching humpback and fin whales.

The plan will be submitted to the International Whaling Commission in May, though it does not need approval.

Peas'nHominy
May 11th, 2005, 08:08 AM
Please read the following and sign your name to help save these beautiful creatures. here (http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/748434867?z00m=23805&z00m=23805&ltl=1115794663)

I LOVE whales. They're SO beautiful. Absolutely amazing.

eve
May 11th, 2005, 10:11 AM
Signed with love. :)

Roxy
May 11th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Signed :)

Seaside
May 12th, 2005, 12:17 AM
Signed! Thanks, Peas'nHominy. :)

Happiness
May 12th, 2005, 12:30 AM
signed
sidenote: did you know that they are called the "right" whale because they were considered the "right" whale to hunt? Being slow, floats when killed, and having high oil content. Sick...I say we rename them.

Cal
May 12th, 2005, 01:04 AM
Signed. :)
I knew that Happiness, but maybe they are the "right" whale to save now? :(

clawsy
May 12th, 2005, 01:08 AM
How horrible about the Right whale-I didn't know that :(
i signed it too.

eve
May 16th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Today's newspaper states that more than 4000 whales have been slaughtered in Australian waters by the Japanese since sanctuary for whales was established in 2000. Now the Japanese ships are back but Oz is making no attempt to stop them, simply videoing and obtaining information. Seems Australian wants to stay on friendly terms with Japan. Doesn't Japan want to stay on friendly terms with Australia? The Japanese say it is for scientific research, though we are all aware that these whales end up on plates in Tokyo restaurants. Moreover, Japan has offered financial assistance to other countries who vote in their favour at the Int. Whaling Commission, even countries who are nowhere near Australian waters.

Australians are cranky about this, especially as the overwhelming majority of Aussies live somewhere on some part of Australian's coast, and certainly where I live, heaps of tourists like to come whale-watching at certain times of the year.

adam antichrist
May 22nd, 2005, 02:05 AM
Labours' Kevin Rudd has urged the government to use its' foreign aid policy to pressure small pacific nations to reconsider their stance on the resumption of commercial whaling. The report states that Japan has used aid to influence them to back the proposal, and Australia should therefore imply that our aid could be reduced if they don't have a long hard think about it.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/Use-aid-ties-to-block-whaling-urges-Labor/2005/05/21/1116533583019.html

Of course, the government will do fk all about it, because they are total scum. I mean how many fkn whales do the japanese have to kill for research? WTF are they researching? I've never seen a report outlining a new breakthrough thanks to chopping up a dead whale. Are they researching how long it takes for a species to bounce back if 4000 per year are slaughtered?

Boycott Japanese products!

adam antichrist
May 23rd, 2005, 01:15 PM
Today there is a humpback frolicking in Port Phillip Bay, where the city of Melbourne is located.

Yay for whales. Last year I saw several as I had a view of the ocean from my flat and there is nothing like eating breakfast on your front porch whilst watching whales swim past.

Cal
May 23rd, 2005, 01:24 PM
Today there is a humpback frolicking in Port Phillip Bay.
Brilliant!! :)

(John Howard called them "hunchback whales" the other day, that guy is so pathetic! :rolleyes: )

adam antichrist
May 23rd, 2005, 01:28 PM
John Howard called them "hunchback whales" the other day

:D :D :D

Happiness
May 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I had the fine pleasure of seeing a Gray Whale mother and calf while out on the boat I work on....hows that for a job??? I get paid to look at awesome sealife! ;)

feline01
May 23rd, 2005, 10:01 PM
I had the fine pleasure of seeing a Gray Whale mother and calf while out on the boat I work on....hows that for a job??? I get paid to look at awesome sealife! ;)
I can see why you are called "Happiness" :) .

Happiness
May 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM
I can see why you are called "Happiness" :) .

Hahahahaha! :D thanks feline! I used to be called Sunshine but it morphed into Happiness. It takes me very little to be happy. :)

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
Abraham Lincoln (1809 - 1865)

All I can say about life is, Oh God, enjoy it!
Bob Newhart (1929 - )

The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet.
James Oppenheim

feline01
May 23rd, 2005, 10:29 PM
You should teach a "happiness" course, many people, particularly Americans, seem to have forgotten how to be happy. :D

Happiness
May 23rd, 2005, 10:43 PM
Not a bad idea feline. :) First I would have everyone hug eachother for at least 10 seconds (I never understand why people dont spend more time making physical contact with eachother...it feels good!). Second I would have everyone look at themselves in a full-length mirror and say 10 good things about themselves. Third I would have everyone sit outside in the sun and talk about anything they want but only positive or uplifting comments could be made (too many people lack self-confidence :(). So maybe I will start a "Happiness Clinic" where the cure for all is acceptence and uncontitional love.