PDA

View Full Version : vegan brownies

Pages : [1] 2

Finch
Aug 8th, 2004, 10:41 PM
I followed cedarblue's recipe for Vegan chocolate chip brownie cake thingy. It came out good, but it seems very rich. . . perhaps I used too much oil or something. Very tasty though. Surprised they actually taste pretty good for being without eggs. I'll have to make them again and see what happens.

Artichoke47
Aug 8th, 2004, 11:47 PM
You were surprised? Come on - vegan food is awesome! Eggs don't taste good, nor do they make a recipe "rich," unless you're talking about cholesterol intake. Food should never have been prepared with eggs stolen from hens.

ConsciousCuisine
Aug 9th, 2004, 12:01 AM
A-freakin'-MEN! :)

Finch
Aug 9th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I didn't mean to imply that I actually wanted eggs or anything. I was just expressing that I was surprised I could actually make something that tasted pretty good without having to use eggs. I've been Vegan for about 2 months now and have no desire of going back to eating anything non-Vegan.

Just wanted to clear it up.

Now I need to find a recipe for Vegan chocolate chip cookies.

mattd
Aug 9th, 2004, 02:04 AM
i made some last night too. the recipe didin't call for any kind of egg replacer, and they were awesome. i don't have the recipe with me now, but it's out of The Garden of Vegan. so i'll say it again, GO OUT AND BUT THIS BOOK. :)

Sabster
Aug 9th, 2004, 04:17 AM
Since someone posted about the recipe. I've been meaning to comment but I've been so busy with work I don't think I've gotten around to it.

Those brownies are amazing! I love chocolate and I've made quite a few batches of vegan brownies (different recipes), but this is one of the best. The only problem is that it's too crumbly, it doesn't stick well. But it's the best I've come across so far, not doey at all ... I'll work on making it stick better. But taste-wise, it's great.

I made it while I was up at my parents and everyone ate it all up... it was good:-d

Finch
Aug 9th, 2004, 04:27 AM
Hmm. . . mine didn't come out crumbly at all. . . in fact they were too gooey. . . made you want to reach for the soy milk right away. I'll have to tinker around and figure out what works best for my taste.

Sabster
Aug 10th, 2004, 04:31 AM
The soy milk might take away from some of the richness of the chocolate. I actually considered that though. I was thinking something like a little flax powder would do the trick. I dunno. I don't have time to bake any more brownies right now anyway.

Finch
Aug 10th, 2004, 06:12 PM
I mean to imply that the brownies were so rich that you wanted to reach for the soy milk to wash it all down.

cedarblue
Aug 10th, 2004, 08:17 PM
i'm glad most enjoyed the brownies recipe and that you are all adjusting it to suit your taste.
yes it is rich and crumbly...but thats just the way i like it.
you can also make individual cup cakes out of it or bake it in 2 round tins and sandwich it together with choc 'butter' icing for birthday cakes. :p

Sabster
Aug 12th, 2004, 04:02 AM
Ah, woops. I misread your post:-o You're right. I think I did too. They're great with soy milk:)

veganesquire
Aug 17th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I just made the chocolate chop brownie cake and I love it!! It is so easy to make and tastes so good! I have already shared the recipe with my friends.

basteq
Aug 19th, 2004, 10:56 PM
why dont you share with us? :rolleyes: please?

and maybe someone can share with us the recipe from GARDEN OF VEGAN book.

cedarblue
Aug 20th, 2004, 08:19 AM
why dont you share with us? :rolleyes: please?

and maybe someone can share with us the recipe from GARDEN OF VEGAN book.

brownie recipe is on the recipe/food thread here :p

amritab@yahoo.com
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:38 PM
Ok,. this has the dampness and squidginess of brownies but my husband said they aren't as dense. But they are sooo..rich, and couldnt be easier. One tip, watch them after 25 mins, you dont want to dry them out.

Rusty's Chocolate Vegan Brownies #43783
by Blazenhoff | my other recipes | e-mail me
3 reviews

No photo posted yet.
Post a photo of this recipe.This is an adaptation on a recipe already on recipezaar.com. It is a really moist and delicious brownie. No one would ever know it was Vegan. — Oct 22, 2002
1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup ghiradelli unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 cups turbinado sugar
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups chocolate soy milk
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (gravenstein) - I used the one made by Whole foods..
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips

12 servings Change size or US/metric | 55 minutes 15 mins prep

Change to: servings US Metric
Print | E-mail this recipe

Add to My Cookbook | My Shopping List | My Plan

Post My Review of this recipe | Save a Private Note

Question? Ask the Chef or Ask the Community | Typo? Send a Correction

1. With vegetable oil, lightly oil a 9 x 12 glass pan.
2. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
3. With a fork, mix together the flour, cocoa, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and sea salt.
4. In a small bowl, blend the chocolate soy milk and applesauce.
5. Combine the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and thoroughly mix together.
6. Fold in the chocolate chips.
7. Pour batter into the oiled pan and bake for 35-40 minutes.
8. Smaller pans have a longer cooking time.

Artichoke47
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:45 PM
No one would know it was vegan? Well, of course they would! Vegan brownies are more delicious. Duh.

Mal87
Nov 3rd, 2004, 02:49 AM
yes. i made vegan cupcakes for a friend's bday and took them to school, and everyone was like "man, what'd you put in these?! they're so delicious!"
when really it was what i didn't put in them. :D they were soooooo good

sylkan
May 11th, 2005, 05:51 PM
I just made yummy delicious vegan brownies. Instead of the 4 eggs that the recipe called for, I substituted one banana mashed with 1 1/2 tsp of baking powder. MMMM.... I can't wait to get my mom to try them. She is always so skeptical that vegan food can be just as good if not better than the conventional ingredients.

Roxy
May 11th, 2005, 06:17 PM
Mmmmm Yum!! I LOVE vegan brownies :D

feline01
May 11th, 2005, 06:33 PM
I don't know how they taste but VegNews voted Allisons Gourmet (www.allisonsgourmet.com) as the best vegan brownie. My husband surprised me with a box of her organic, vegan chocolates for Mother's Day last week and they were the best chocolates I have ever tasted, vegan or pre-vegan :D

catalina
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:09 PM
I'd like to personally thank cedarblue for that brownie/cake thing. I made it last week and everyone who ate it had tears in their eyes from pure happiness. It is sooo rich and so yummy. I've frozen the rest. Thank you thank you thank you! It will take so much willpower to not make it all the time!

cedarblue
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:15 PM
I'd like to personally thank cedarblue for that brownie/cake thing. I made it last week and everyone who ate it had tears in their eyes from pure happiness. It is sooo rich and so yummy. I've frozen the rest. Thank you thank you thank you! It will take so much willpower to not make it all the time!

*holds bunch of roses, blows kisses and waves to adoring audience while standing on the stage of an old fashioned music-hall stage wearing edwardian costume*

thank you my darlings....

i am going to post a jolly nice little vegan rock cakes recipe in a moment..keep your eye on the sweet section. ;)

Kiran
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:18 PM
Wow that will be so great.. Yum Yum. I love cakes, but I am very bad at baking. So I refrain from doing them myself. :(

cedarblue
Oct 2nd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Wow that will be so great.. Yum Yum. I love cakes, but I am very bad at baking. So I refrain from doing them myself. :(

these rock cakes are so easy kiran an idiot could make them! ;)

veggiegirl52
Jan 15th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Hello,
I need help! My friends birthday is soon. And she has asked me to make vegan brownies ( She eats dairy, and meat.) So as you can imagine I want to make a good impression.....Any ideas on good vegan brownie recipes?

MM