PDA

View Full Version : Tired of anti-veg lobbyists

phillip888
Jun 27th, 2004, 07:30 AM
Hi, I don't know how many people visit other sites, but I see obvious employees of the beef, dairy, and fur lobbying groups posting nearly identical propaganda on different sites all over the place. Does anyone know of a group that watches the animal slavery PR industry? I know there's PRwatch and a few organic food based groups, but nothing that specifically watches the animal slavery industries goons closely. I find it a little unsettling that beef and other agricultural industries have the oldest lobbying groups in the US, but nothing is ever said about them and they seem to be able to operate almost entirely in secret. The only thing I've even seen regarding their existence lately is the mad cow fiasco. Anyway as a vegan I would think other vegans might be interested in this. It seems odd that they create front sites to slander animal rights groups and scientists, but no one has even made a modest attempt at exposing their BS on the web. I know prwatch has a few article here and there, but I'm looking for something more revealing.

If there truly is no dedicated online watchdog, anyone have any ideas or advice for starting one?

eve
Jun 28th, 2004, 07:52 AM
Yes phillip, having an on-line watchdog would be great. I've also noticed that some websites that appear on the surface to be pro-soymilk, turn out to be dairy people. They start off by saying nice things, then point out the dangers of not taking enough dairy produce. It really is annoying. But the problem is finding someone dedicated to being a watchdog.

funkyvixen
Jul 6th, 2004, 06:10 PM
I don't really see the problem in pro-meat/fur/dairy people trying to publicise their views, after all, vegan/AR activists will happily stick their propaganada all over the place. It has to be a two-way conversation, otherwise its just a lot of people with their fingers stuck in their ears going "lalala, I can't hear you, my way is right and I won't listen to other people's point of view, lalala"

fv x

phillip888
Jul 7th, 2004, 05:25 PM
I don't really see the problem in pro-meat/fur/dairy people trying to publicise their views, after all, vegan/AR activists will happily stick their propaganada all over the place. It has to be a two-way conversation, otherwise its just a lot of people with their fingers stuck in their ears going "lalala, I can't hear you, my way is right and I won't listen to other people's point of view, lalala"

fv x

Good, good, this kind of rhetoric is perfect for my site. I'm going to do a FAQ on anti-animal rights lingo and spin (animal rights (also referred to as AR to industry lobbyists) info is referred to as propaganda, where animal slavery advocates simply wants to 'publicize their views' for example) to educate vegans and animal rights advocates on which fronts they need to address or be aware of. Also the implication that exposing animal cruelty is a form of ignorance is a very common assertion from the pro slavery folk. Brilliant example, thank you.

funkyvixen
Jul 7th, 2004, 08:04 PM
Good, good, this kind of rhetoric is perfect for my site. I'm going to do a FAQ on anti-animal rights lingo and spin (animal rights (also referred to as AR to industry lobbyists) info is referred to as propaganda, where animal slavery advocates simply wants to 'publicize their views' for example) to educate vegans and animal rights advocates on which fronts they need to address or be aware of. Also the implication that exposing animal cruelty is a form of ignorance is a very common assertion from the pro slavery folk. Brilliant example, thank you
Erm, glad I helped you? You seem to assume I'm "pro-slavery", whatever that means?

Sorry, I used "publicize their views" and "stick their propaganda" synonymously; I just hate using the same word/phrase twice, I always theasaurus-ise what I write. Personal thing.

I didn't at all mean to apply that exposing animal cruelty is a form of ignorance; far from it. Simply that if you expect others to listen to you and consider your views, you should be expected to listen to theirs in return.

By all means you may use my words for your website (would be nice to be asked etc) but it would seem to discredit your point as they don't come from who you're trying to expose.

fv x

julieruble
Jul 7th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Sometimes people seem very quick to imagine they know and understand others' viewpoints. And sometimes people decide anyone who slightly disagrees must be one of these 'anti-veg lobbyists.' It's a little frustrating.

phillip888
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:08 PM
By all means you may use my words for your website (would be nice to be asked etc) but it would seem to discredit your point as they don't come from who you're trying to expose.

fv x

Oh but they do. That's the sad part. Whether you do their job for free, or your in their ranks your still using their words (hence my not worrying about permission, not that I intend to quote you). That's the sad thing about social mimicry and denial. It's something most people experience on a daily basis, it's the fundamental resource that lobbyists rely on. I had an interesting discussion on another board with a new vegan. He was alarmed at how indoctrination controlled his own outlook, and how it kept him from asking questions before he had become vegan. Basically he said he was disgusted at how people can make statements, hold beliefs, and do things without ever questioning the reasoning behind them, that denial is a widely accepted social behavior, not because it's normal of healthy, but because it's reinforced as such. That is the reason I'm creating my web site.

Oh, and pro-slavery from the dictionary:
adj.
Advocating the practice of slavery.

For instance someone who argues for the cause of someone that practices slavery (in this case animals living in slavery).

but it would seem to discredit your point

Which point is that?

phillip888
Jul 9th, 2004, 10:13 PM
Sometimes people seem very quick to imagine they know and understand others' viewpoints. And sometimes people decide anyone who slightly disagrees must be one of these 'anti-veg lobbyists.' It's a little frustrating.

Why are you being so vague? when you express yourself in these forums are you doing such for some reason other than to express your viewpoints in an honest fashion? Or is ambiguity your intent? There is nothing keeping you from saying so. Is there?

julieruble
Jul 10th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Yes, I'm trying to be polite but still make a point.