PDA

View Full Version : vegan chinese food?

Pages : [1] 2

foxytina_69
Jun 28th, 2004, 08:54 AM
does anyone know if there are any chinese vegan foods available? im supposed to go out for chinese tommorow and im not sure if there is anything i can eat.

Mystic
Jun 28th, 2004, 10:44 AM
I would go for a vegie or tofu stir fry with plain steamed rice, but just check for oyster/fish sauce - ask for a plain soy or black bean sauce or some chinese even have satay which is normally vegan. Just ask plenty of questions!!!:p

blue
Nov 6th, 2004, 10:51 AM
what about vegetable fried rice?

harpy
Nov 6th, 2004, 12:28 PM
It may be different in Chinese restaurants where you are, but here in London they tend to put egg in fried rice, so plain boiled rice is a better bet.

Here they often have several more-or-less-vegan dishes on the menu such as a variety of tofu dishes, and one called Monks' Vegetables, but I agree it is a good idea to ask them to hold the fish or oyster sauce to be on the safe side. At least Chinese cooking doesn't usually include butter, cheese or yoghurt, so that's one thing you don't have to worry about!

tails4wagging
Nov 6th, 2004, 04:21 PM
If they have deep fried beancurd(tofu) its yummy, why dont you ring ahead and ask them for a vegan dish for you?

Mal87
Nov 6th, 2004, 11:37 PM
yeah, i got some veggie fried-rice the other day, but it was take-out, and they make it right on the spot so i just ordered it without the eggs since it comes with it around here.

indianvegan
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:39 AM
does anyone know if there are any chinese vegan foods available? im supposed to go out for chinese tommorow and im not sure if there is anything i can eat.

Chinese Vegan Recipes. (http://www.recipezaar.com/r/116/168)

Right on !

Manish

Artichoke47
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Thanks for posting that, Manish! :)

blue
Nov 7th, 2004, 05:55 AM
Manish, those look fantastic!

indianvegan
Nov 7th, 2004, 09:25 AM
blue or Artichoke , if you make one, send me a bite as attachment in a email. :)

manish

blue
Nov 7th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Sure thing!

Artichoke47
Nov 7th, 2004, 02:01 PM
blue or Artichoke , if you make one, send me a bite as attachment in a email. :)

manish

:D Maybe I'll send you some chocolate cake, too.

Cryospark
Jun 20th, 2005, 02:01 PM
well spring rolls, satay sauce, black bean sauce, sweet & sour sauce, steamed rice and vegetables in any combination is all vegan food that's what i get from the take away place near me.

friend
Jul 9th, 2005, 12:37 PM
yeah man!! now i went to taiwan in february 2005 it was a real delight, tons of green vegetables, exquisite tofu, and myriad sago based vegan tinned desserts using soya or coconut milk,,,lush!!stick to fried tofu with chillis and youll be in heaven i,ll warrant!!!

rujoon
Aug 1st, 2005, 02:33 PM
Many chinese foods are vegan, if u visit a vegetarian chinese restaurant in Asia, most of the time u just hav to be concern about the diary products used - like for example: milk instead of coconut milk in Vegetarian laksa. However, some veg places do include egg in some of their dishes.

starlight
Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
Are tofu dishes with Szechuan sauce vegan? (I hope I got the spelling OK)

pat sommer
Jul 25th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Mostly, yes.

Last November I was in Szechuan and the typical concoction is: sesame oil, chillies, Szechuan peppercorns and possibly: prickly ash, garlic, ginger, soysauce, vinegar and binders such as starch.

Ground pork can make its way into dishes as seasoning and oyster sauce is not impossible.

Mr Flibble
Jul 26th, 2009, 11:50 AM
They may be in Szechuan, but I doubt many of the people who serve it in Herefordshire have been there or are more interested in authenticity than cheap :)

pat sommer
Jul 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM
okay, add caramel colour, msg, potassium sorbate and dextrose and you get the Herefordshire original recipe :-)

Mr Flibble
Jul 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Talking of authentic english chinese takeaway food, I've been lusting ever since I turned vegan almost 10 years ago for a decent substitute for the battered chicken/pork 'balls' from takeaways that comes with a dipping pot (aka foam cup) of (bright orange) sweet and sour sauce.

I nailed the sauce a few years back, thanks for bryanna grogan clark's chinese book. I tried several things (tofu, seiten etc) for the balls and didn't get anything that worked well. I've had substitutes in restuarants that are pretty good, but not as.

Last night I tried deep frying the newish redwoods chicken pieces in beer batter. I'm pleased to announce that the results were reasonably good - certainly worth more work. I was told they were "better than takeaway ones", but that was because my batter wasn't as thick. I quite like the thick batter ;)

Daffodil
Jul 28th, 2009, 11:36 AM

Right on !

Manish

fab :-)

pusskins
Jul 28th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Talking of authentic english chinese takeaway food, I've been lusting ever since I turned vegan almost 10 years ago for a decent substitute for the battered chicken/pork 'balls' from takeaways that comes with a dipping pot (aka foam cup) of (bright orange) sweet and sour sauce.

I nailed the sauce a few years back, thanks for bryanna grogan clark's chinese book. I tried several things (tofu, seiten etc) for the balls and didn't get anything that worked well. I've had substitutes in restuarants that are pretty good, but not as.

Last night I tried deep frying the newish redwoods chicken pieces in beer batter. I'm pleased to announce that the results were reasonably good - certainly worth more work. I was told they were "better than takeaway ones", but that was because my batter wasn't as thick. I quite like the thick batter ;)

I hear you on that one. My order was always chicken balls with egg fried rice. I've managed to sort the 'egg' fried rice. Please would you be able to PM the recipe for the sauce? Then I'll get to work on the balls :) I've got a few batter recipes to have a go with. Let us know how you get on with your batter.

Roxy
Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:44 PM

Right on !

Manish

Awesome! I've saved that one to Favourites.

Mr Flibble
Oct 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
I've now perfected my balls technique. It's a little hard to describe, but I'll give it a go.

1) Make the batter quite thick. Not overly so, but thicker than you would a pancake batter. Somewhere in between pancake and cake batter. If in doubt test a bit first to make sure you have it right.
2) Flouring the thing you're battering makes the batter puff out a lot more and make them look like the ones in take aways. It also traps air causing them float immediately to the surface and making them less likely to stick to the basket.
3) Knock any 'legs' of batter off whilst it's frying with a metal spoon as soon as its cooked enough.
4) Cook them 90% as close to serving as possible, then do the final 10% at the last minute.

Barry
Oct 18th, 2009, 12:48 PM
I've now perfected my balls technique.

Oh dear lord that gave me a laugh! I've got a hangover this morning and that's the first thing that could even raise a smile with me! :)