PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea recipes

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

Lex
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:15 AM
That spinach & chickpea flour omelette recipe looks absolutely delicious, CC – I’m definitely gonna give that a go, cheers!

(BTW, good to see the Blake quote in your signature, RockyR. Think I saw someone else with the ‘to see the world in a grain of sand’ one on VF somewhere too?)

Phew, I’m done in & gotta get to bed. Seeya later!

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 20th, 2006, 12:18 AM
I hope this turns out nicely for everyone!

I love the Blake quote too (that's my Daughter's name!).

Steph
Jun 11th, 2006, 05:53 AM
I made this tonight with lots of variations with things I had on hand and needed to use, specifically a beautiful eggplant! I substituted the eggplant for the potatos, garam masala (sp?) for the vindaloo seasoning, can of coconut milk for the soy milk, added cumin and corriander seeds to the garlic and olive oil saute part, and threw in handfulls of raisins, seeds, and assorted nuts, it is simmering now to wilt the spinich, I had to keep tasting, it is the best curry dish I've ever made!!

maya
Jun 12th, 2006, 06:26 PM
That is almost how I make mine except I use coconut milk instead and I add fresh ginger oh and I garnish it with plain soy yogurt.

triona.d.
Aug 29th, 2006, 01:30 PM
hiya everyone, i'm after tried and tested (and easy) chickpea recipes this time...in fact, any good recipes for pulses would be great...curries, stews, dhals, that sort of thing, maybe even some salads for my lunch box! i'd really appreciate that, bless you all - thanks, triona

paulvegan
Aug 29th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry

2 medium red onions, peeled
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 bird’s eye pepper, Thai chili or other very hot small pepper with its seeds
1 2 ½ to 3 inch piece of ginger, peeled and cut into chunks
3 tbsp canola oil
½ tsp hot red pepper flakes
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1 ½ tsp ground turmeric
3 cardamom pods, lightly crushed (we used 1 tsp ground cardamom and it was fine)
Salt to taste
2 pounds (about 3 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into ½ to 1 inch cubes
1 ¾ cups coconut milk (we always use light)
1 tbsp tamarind paste
2 ¼ cups hot vegetable broth
4 to 5 cups (about 4 cans) cooked chickpeas
2 tbsp chopped cilantro leaves
1. In a food processor, combine onions, garlic hot pepper and ginger. Pulse until finely chopped. Place oil in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat. Add chopped onion mixture and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Add hot pepper flakes, and spices. Stir to mix. Add sweet potatoes and stir until well covered in spices. Stir in coconut milk.
3. Dissolve tamarind paste in hot broth and add to pan. Bring to boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until sweet potatoes are just tender, about 25 minutes
4. Add chickpeas and simmer until heated through, about 5 minutes. Adjust salt to taste. Transfer to a warmed bowl and sprinkle with chopped cilantro.
6-8 servings

Tofu-Chickpea Curry

1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
1 block regular tofu (frozen and thawed if you like the texture)
1 can chickpeas
curry powder
A few tablespoons oil for frying

Directions:

I was visiting my sister in western Alaska and had to improvise a dinner that two carnivores and a vegetarian would enjoy (and for which I could find the ingredients at a very rustic market in an Inuit village). I was a bit he'sitant about the combination of tofu, chickpea and curry, but it came out really well (if I do say so myself).

Add finely chopped onion to medium pot with oil (I used olive). Fry at medium heat until tender. Add finely chopped garlic cloves and fry until the onion starts to brown, make sure heat is low enough not to burn the garlic. Add tofu cut into strips. I used thawed tofu to give it a chewier texture and to ensure it wouldn't fall apart in the curry (my sister had tried tofu recently and thought the texture was too mushy, so I wanted to show her that she could prepare it in different ways). Fry the tofu strips and onion/garlic mixture until the tofu starts to brown. Add 2 1/2 cups water and 1 can of drained chickpeas. Bring to a boil. Once at boil, reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add curry spices/mix. Simmer, stirring constantly for 5 minutes--this is the time when your tofu and chickpeas will absorb the curry flavor, so you don't want to rush this stage.

Serve over rice. If the curry is spicy, serve with a green salad and plenty of cucumbers.

Serves: 3

aubergine
Aug 29th, 2006, 03:16 PM
*drools*

Korn
Aug 29th, 2006, 04:02 PM
hiya everyone, i'm after tried and tested (and easy) chickpea recipes this time...in fact, any good recipes for pulses would be great...curries, stews, dhals, that sort of thing, maybe even some salads for my lunch box! i'd really appreciate that, bless you all - thanks, triona

Hi, I might change the thread title, if you don't mind, since I'm considering a separate forum for beans/pulses recipes (including all the soya stuff).

We already have enough threads about bean/legume recipes + falafel, hummus, dhals etc to fill a small forum, and I'm sure many more will come! :)

triona.d.
Aug 30th, 2006, 12:50 PM
thanks paul, that sweet pot and chickpea curry was EXACTLY what i was looking for - can't wait to give it a go (once my family are actually all around and i can cook for them!)triona

triona.d.
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:07 AM
grrr..still haven't managed to cook that curry yet as family away and hate cooking for just myself so keep eating out (bit extravagent, i know!) but please don't think i'm ungrateful. i'm going to go out and buy all the ingredients today so that they're there waiting for me when everyone's around and will let you know if it's a success - can't wait! by the way - do you think it would freeze alright? triona

claireyveg
Aug 31st, 2006, 10:51 AM
Clairey's Chickpea EFA salad:

1 can chickpeas
bout half a medium sized cucumber cubed
1 tomato diced, or if you like about a handful of cherry tomatos split in half
1/4 of a red pepper diced
red onion if you like it
Any seeds you have around, sesame, flax, pumpkin and sunflower are my usual- i usually only use 2 at a time
a couple of table spoons of flax oil and the juice of half a lemon

Refrigerate for a few hours before consumtion as it tastes better this way, this makes about 2 serves, perfect for lunches at work :)

Tigerlily
Sep 13th, 2006, 04:35 PM
Clairveg, I make a salad like that too. Adding some vegan mayo instead of oil and lemon is a nice creamy change too.

Hummus is a really easy recipe too. You'll find a lot of recipes by googling.

Tigerlily
Sep 13th, 2006, 04:38 PM
I can't believe I missed this recipe! This looks fantastic!

rantipole
Sep 13th, 2006, 05:24 PM
I can't believe I missed this recipe! This looks fantastic!

I was just thinking the same thing!

Cheers,
rant

Roxy
Sep 13th, 2006, 10:11 PM
I like to throw together a chickpea salad sometimes simply using canned chickpeas, canned corn, chopped red pepper, chopped red onion and some sweet onion salad dressing. It's nice and refreshing and infact I think I'll take it to work for my lunch tomorrow.

rantipole
Sep 20th, 2006, 11:29 PM
Hey,

So I've made this recipe twice and it was delicious both times. Some things I did/noticed:

I used pressed fresh garlic instead of powder--1 medium clove.

I found that you definitely need to use more water/vegetable stock. I used probably close to double what the recipe says.

I didn't puree the tofu. I just mashed it with a fork. I think it would've been better if I had pureed it but it came out fine. Also, I used firm tofu, although the recipe doesn't say what to use.

I added mushrooms one time and mushrooms, bell peppers, more yeast, and chili powder the second time. Both were wonderful, but the second was better.

Try it with some hot sauce!

This is a really quick recipe. Once you have assembled the ingredients, it only takes about 10 minutes.

So, this recipe is an all-around winner.

Cheers,
rant

Jamie
Sep 26th, 2006, 04:19 PM
I don't think ours turned out so well..! My hubby made it last night. I think there wasn't really enough seasoning in it, but I put braggs on it once it was served and that helped. I'm not a fan of oily things sometimes (we used veg oil, it might have just been that sort that I don't really like the taste of because I don't mind other hot oily things most of the time!).

I would perhaps try making it with some pretend cheese thrown into the mix, I wonder if that would be nice?? more traditionally 'omletty' then :o

It made two frying pan sized 'omlette's, although it didn't fill me up much strangely. (we had one each)

btw is gram flour the same as chickpea flour?? that's what we used.

nervine
Oct 21st, 2006, 01:38 AM
I just soaked them for 24hrs, rinsed them and put them in a colander over a bowl with a lid on top. rinsed them in the morning and evening. Turned out great. Only took 3 days :)

Kitiara
Oct 22nd, 2006, 07:02 PM
For something a lil more spicy I like to make Chilli and Lemon Chickpeas.

I never measure out the ingrediants, I do it to taste.
Basically it's a vinegarette or sorts.
I use a clean jar (preferably with a lid) and pour in equal parts olive oil and lemon juice. I finally chop a small red chilli and add that to the mix, at this stage Iput the lid on and give it a good shake.

I usually try it at this point and decide upon adding more of one of the three ingediants and a little salt/pepper. I coat the chickpeas in it and cover with clingfilm and pop it in the fridge.

I usually have this with cous cous or with a green salad :)

herbwormwood
Oct 23rd, 2006, 04:15 PM
Also chick peas go very well in a curry with a tin of coconut milk and some carrots. You could modify paulvegan's curry recipes to use chick peas, coconut and carrot.

StarShine
Oct 29th, 2006, 04:32 PM
Chick Pea and Kidney Bean Salad:

1 cup of Chick Peas
2/3 cup Kidney Beans
2/3 cup grape tomatoes
1/4 cup of diced fresh white onions
1/4 cup of green olives
2 cups chopped lettuce
2 tbsp flax seeds
1 tbsp chopped garlic
a pinch of salt

Toss together and add 3 tbsp olive oil and serve chilled.

That's my own creation. :D

twinkle
Oct 30th, 2006, 12:07 AM
I like to make falafel with my chickpeas :) I have a recipe but I bet Tigerlily's mom has a better one! :)

I also like to fry an onion, add some chickpeas, tomatoes and spinach - it's a nice combination.

cedarblue
Nov 12th, 2006, 06:16 PM
i made some raw hummus today for lunches.

tastes much better than the first time i made it.
basically it was some chickpeas soaked overnight, some tahini, some lemon juice, a little water, olive oil, s&p, garlic.

very nice.......the tahini makes the difference, much more 'cooked hummus-like'.

Wildflower
Nov 22nd, 2006, 03:36 PM
Help, I shelled out some 8 bucks yesterday for a tub of organic chickpea miso I thought I needed for a recipe. turns out, I have no idea which recipe it was, because the one I am making doesn't have that in it. :confused:

So, what can I do with a giant tub of chickpea miso? I am thinking I could maybe make miso soup, but does chickpea miso work for that?

The stuff is good for many months, but I assume un-opened? It says it is not pasturized.

Any ideas? Please! :D

Roxy
Nov 22nd, 2006, 06:34 PM
Sorry - I've never even heard of it!!