Nov 26th, 2006, 11:56 PM
Well, thanks for replying anyway Roxy!

Risker
Nov 27th, 2006, 01:18 AM
What are the ingredients of it?

Wildflower
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:03 PM
ingredients are -

organic chickpeas, organic rice koji, traditionally made sun-dried sea salt, Blue Ridge Mtn well water, koji spores

And i am not making those ingredients up - allthough they kinda sound that way as they are very specific. :D

fiamma
Nov 27th, 2006, 06:16 PM
I guess you could just use it where you'd use ordinary miso .... soup? I'm not wild about miso, so I'm not much help, sorry :(

Roxy
Nov 30th, 2006, 03:51 AM
What on earth is a Koji spore?

fiamma
Nov 30th, 2006, 06:18 PM
What on earth is a Koji spore?

That'll be aspergillus oryzae, a fungus used in Chinese and Japanese cuisine. It ferments soybeans to produce miso and soy sauce ;) (*quickly closes Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspergillus_oryzae)*) :D

Oops, was that a rhetorical question? :o

howdawg
Dec 1st, 2006, 01:25 AM
So chickpea miso is very yummy :) Take a table spoon of it, put it in some water, and boil.. chickpea Miso soup! You can also use it in many recipes, but usually, I make soup with it...

Wildflower
Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:28 PM
Thanks guys! I guess I will go for the soup...my other half didn't seem to excited about miso soup, but if i like it, I'll eat it all myself.

howdawg, what are the porportions you use for miso soup? 1 T to a few cups water? i think i will maybe add some tofu and green onions on top too.

I do like miso soup, but i generally buy it in packets, and i like the darker ones better if I remember right...haven't even eaten it in ages.

howdawg
Dec 2nd, 2006, 07:48 PM
Yah one or maybe even two tablespoons... You want it to all completely dissolve. If you have the right amount, it will look thick, but actually won't be... I also like to dice up some tofu and add it and then top with chives.. Good luck!

emmapresley
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:04 PM
hiya..does anyone have a tried and tested fabulous recipe for making chickpea pasties?
Am after a sort of stodgy consistency inside..like super hearty and filling sort of thing. Ty. :)

fiamma
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:25 PM
I love your posts Emma, they rock!!!!!

emmapresley
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Aww! Ta :o

Get you being super nice to me (carry on..I like it!!!)

but DO you know of a great chickpea pasty recipe?!!??!

have found a google chickpea recipe site with apparently 741 chickpea recipes..so far about 93 of them have been for variations on hummous...

fiamma
Jan 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Uhhh... I probably wouldn't put chickpeas in pastry because that spells heavy to me. Chickepea pancakes, on the other hand (and also onion bhajis, variation on the same theme) are another story...
But if you insist, you could put anything in a pasty... right?

I'lll sleep on it ;)

Carry on Emma, you kick ass :D

herbwormwood
Jan 17th, 2007, 04:39 PM
There is also chick pea flour, aka gram flour, excellent for making those onion bhajis. It is much more nutritious than wheat flour.

emmapresley
Jan 18th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I've been daydreaming all day about how I'm gonna make the perfect chickpea pastie (saddo me :o )..and had a go when I got home tonight..they're okay..not great..edible though! (i added frozen garden peas and WAY too many of them - the whole thing went past chickpea pasty into the realms of just PEA PASTIE)

The recipe needs tweaking dramatically and when it's fabulous I'll post!

I don't think chickpeas are too heavy for pastry though fiamma..maybe it depends on what the pastry is like? (Also not a pastry expert, so maybe this has some bearing on the end result of my pastie 'experimentation')

fiamma
Jan 18th, 2007, 08:37 PM
I'm thinking a tomato-based filling, maybe with the addition of garlic and rosemary, plus a little potato.

Or cumin, ginger and coriander. That should spice things up nicely :)

karmadust
Jan 18th, 2007, 10:35 PM
This recipe for roasted chickpeas is from "How it all Vegan" and I really like it for a munchy snack:

pat dry a can of chickpeas and combine in a bowl with a couple tablespoons olive oil. add salt, garlic, cayenne pepper, or any combination of spices that tastes good to you (i love curry powder on everything, so that's what i usually use). bake at 450 for 40 minutes or until brown and crunchy. don't let them burn, as they tend to get really done really fast at the end!

catala
Feb 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
And how could I make raw tahini??

triona.d.
Feb 11th, 2007, 07:12 PM
i have a recipe for a really nice butter bean and miso stew. it doesn't say particularly chickpea miso, i usually use the ginger one. would you like it anyway? sorry this is so long after you posted! oh, and i think miso just makes a nice addition to most soups really, and it's really nutritious! tri

auntierozzi
Feb 11th, 2007, 08:18 PM
There are quite a few recipes requiring the chickpea miso in the 'Uncheese Cookbook'. Do you have that one?

Wildflower
Feb 13th, 2007, 04:34 AM
Sure Triona, I'll take that recipe. I still have my unopened tub. :o I can't tell you how many times I bought green onions and ginger and went to make miso soup and then just never did! I don't know what my problem is...

auntierozzi, no I don't have any of the uncheese cookbooks, allthough I hear quite good things about them, so maybe I should invest! :D Do you like yours? I am quite weird with cheese. I think i miss it, but then when I go and buy fake soycheese I can never figure out what to do with it. I guess I miss the idea of cheese...ie - always something vegetarain on the resturaunt menu (grilled cheese, mac and cheese, cheese sandwhich, cheese pizza, etc).

:(

Marie
Feb 24th, 2007, 06:58 PM
Hi has anyone made falafel from scratch? I´ve tried dry mixture that you mix with water but they do not taste satisfying to me.

auntierozzi
Feb 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Hello there! This is a Rose Elliot recipe that we have enjoyed. Remember to soak the chickpeas the night before.

Falafel with lemon sauce
for the falafel:
1 3/4 cups dried chickpeas
1 small onion roughly chopped
1 cup coriander
2 garlic cloves roughly chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tbsp gram flour
canola oil for frying

lemon sauce :
4 tablespoon plain vegan yoghurt
4 " vegan mayo
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
warm halved pita, shredded lettuce, sliced tom. and cucumber and onion, fresh mint and grated carrot to serve

Put the chickpeas in a saucepan and cover with lots of water. Bring to the boil and boil for 2 mins. then leave to soak for 2 hours or over night. Drain

Put the drained chickpeas into a food processor with onion, coriander, garlic, cumin, baking soda and salt and whiz until the ingredients are finely ground and holding together.

Take a small handfull of the mixture and squeeze in between your palms to extract extra liquid. Repeat until you've used up all the mixture, then coat the falafels lightly in flour.

Shallow fry the falafel in hot canola oil until brown and crisp on all sides. Drain on paper towel.

To make the sauce, mix up all the ingredients together. Serve the falafel with warm pita and salad.

Hope you like it.

Marie
Feb 25th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks auntierozzi. Do i understand this correct? First i soak the chickp. overnight and then i boil them for 2 min. and leave them to soak for 2 hours or over night again?

Charlotte
Feb 27th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for these recipes; I'm a bit skint right now and chickpeas are a really cheap source of protein for me. I think I'll try the Chickpea and Tofu curry.