PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

herbwormwood
Feb 28th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Also chick pea and spinach curry.
Fry chopped onions in some oil, add your favourite spices, add cooked chick peas, then add spinach. I use frozen spinach as it is cheap and convenient. Then cook it for an hour or so, adding some water if it seems dry. Add salt to your taste.

Marie
Feb 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM
I´ve tried auntierozzi`s suggestion of falafel recipe. Tasted very nice but I did`nt drain the chickpeas well enough( I think) so it was a little bit too moist. I added parsley and 1/2 a tsp five spice to the recipe.

flying plum
Mar 5th, 2007, 12:05 PM
one of my favourite things is chana masala. i always used to get it from the curry place on the way home from a late shift at work, and finally decided to make it myself. this is the best recipe i've found so far, and tastes pretty good. it's nice with some spinach :)

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2005/11/07/chana-masala/

it calls for 'chana masala' powder, but i asked an indian friend of mine who told me to replace it with ground coriandar, garam masala and cumin seeds.

amanda

piggy
Mar 5th, 2007, 03:48 PM
mm, that sounds delicious...and the pictures on that site make my mouth water!

emmapresley
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:15 PM
do people here make hummous with tinned or raw soaked chickpeas?

i usually just blitz up a tin of chickpeas with all the other ingredients and that tastes ace, but fancied using dried ones cos of the way you get to spend less and it goes further and less packaging and all that.

so for raw chickpeas..would it be good to just soak them for 12 hours of whatever then blitz up or do they need a bit of boiling?!

i bet fiamma will know...:cool:

harpy
Apr 17th, 2007, 03:20 PM
do people here make hummous with tinned or raw soaked chickpeas?

i usually just blitz up a tin of chickpeas with all the other ingredients and that tastes ace, but fancied using dried ones cos of the way you get to spend less and it goes further and less packaging and all that.

so for raw chickpeas..would it be good to just soak them for 12 hours of whatever then blitz up or do they need a bit of boiling?!

i bet fiamma will know...:cool:

I find raw ones a bit indigestible - sprouting them is meant to make them more digestible but even then I find they benefit from light cooking. Probably depends on your digestion though!

herbwormwood
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:14 PM
I usually soak the dried ones 2 days and then drain them and freeze them, then I cook then for at least 10 minutes.
But the freezing part is optional, I tend to soak a lot at once to have them ready, then just take them ot the freezer when I fancy chick peas, I often cook them and put half in hummus and the other half in a curry. The freezing makes them go soft faster when you cook them. Its also a good way of having them on hand. I buy dried chick peas in bulk, because I use a lot on a regular basis.

emmapresley
Apr 17th, 2007, 05:52 PM
wow...two days, really?

you have to change the water then, presumably after a day or ??

i was intending to soak mine for just 12 hours..specifically this time to make raw hummous..then i should boil them for ten mins rapid, yep?

Smoothie
Apr 17th, 2007, 09:06 PM
i soak chickpeas and then boil them for about 45 mins.. other wise theyre indigestible.

herbwormwood
Apr 19th, 2007, 01:07 PM
wow...two days, really?

you have to change the water then, presumably after a day or ??

i was intending to soak mine for just 12 hours..specifically this time to make raw hummous..then i should boil them for ten mins rapid, yep?

12 hours should be enough, I do 2 days because I find they swell up a bit more. I change the water twice a day if I remember.
If you want raw hummus I suggest getting them to start a tiny sprout. This involves a soak and then a period allowing to sprout. I have done it this way in the past. Sprouting increases the nutritional value. Up to you of course.;)

emmapresley
Apr 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
i've been rinsing them twice a day for 2 days now.. and they've all sprouted a cute little white curly sprout :D i'm going to do another rinse later, leave them overnight then blanche them..then blitz them into ace hummous.

i'm following a recipe ;)

(therefore..it CANNOT fail!!!!!)

emmapresley
Apr 21st, 2007, 09:37 PM
right-o!

i've just finished making this and after a good 20 minutes of blitzing (10 tens in brenda (my blender of 13 years) it wasn't really the texture i was happy with..i whizzed it up with the mouli job for another ten mins. it's sort of fluffier now..still a bit grainy..a lot lighter in colour..is it supposed to be like this?

ooooh, i don't know if i like it more than my tinned whizzed up version :confused:

Smoothie
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:10 AM
i have never talked to anyone who actually liked raw hummous:) but there must be someone. it is really healthy, though, so.. EAT IT:D

piggy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 05:35 PM
i really don't get this...evry time i've tried making raw hummus, it's been awful. the only thing that's worked so far, is using canned chickpeas. i'm going to try cooking dry chickpeas myself tonite, and see how that turns out in comparison to the canned ones. what i can't understand is that everywhere i looked, i would find recommendations like:" ..and whatever you do, DON'T use cooked, or, worse, canned chickpeas!".....now why would that be?

emmapresley
Apr 23rd, 2007, 08:26 PM
the hummous i made (which is now all gone!!) was definately better the day after i'd made it. it certainly has a totally different taste to using cooked chikpeas..lighter..bit earthier..but still really rich...well like more sprouty :confused: .and i added extra bits to it when i served it up (dribbles of ev olive oil, loads of paprika and some marigold bouillon)..

i think maybe because it wasn't at all cooked (i let the sprouted chickpeas sit in boiled kettle water for a few mins) it took ages to blitz up..and was still pretty 'gritty'..though this morning the texture was a lot less so.

i certainly wouldn't have said it was awful piggy..just a whole lot different to canned ones. i dunno..i might make it again..but i think i prefer the canned homemade hummous best. that's the stuff that makes you moan into it (that's not just me, right?) :o

um..they probably say you should "never, ever, blah blah blah" because of some superior protein vitamin enzyme that you'll be denying yourself..:rolleyes:

harpy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
If I make hummus I make it with tinned ones, as I probably said further back in the thread. The people who want you to use raw ones are probably raw food people who believe everything is better eaten raw?

I do like eating other sprouts raw, e.g. mung beans, alfalfa seeds, broccoli seeds, but chickpeas are just too tough IMO. There are some things that aren't worth doing even for enzymes :D

piggy
Apr 23rd, 2007, 09:36 PM
There are some things that aren't worth doing even for enzymes :D

quite right :D

The people who want you to use raw ones are probably raw food people who believe everything is better eaten raw?
i don't think so...it's just that all (and i mean all) the recipes i've come across have said something to the effect that the authentic arab(?) way to do it is using raw, soaked-only chickpeas or that cooked ones are a total no-no. i thought it would taste horrible if i dared try to cook them :D then i read on here about people using canned chickpeas:p ...end of story :rolleyes:

Smoothie
Apr 24th, 2007, 12:50 PM
the canned ones are a lot softer than the ones you cook yourself. i usually soak mine for about 12 hours, then cook them for 45 mins, then cool them down (freeze them or refridgerate them, and then I cook them for another 45 mins or so.. then they're a lot nicer to make hommous from..

Smoothie
Apr 24th, 2007, 01:00 PM
btw i have a really nice, healthy recipe with chickpeas:

one handful sprouts, one can of chickpeas, a little bit of sun flower seeds and some pumpkin seeds as a salad, served with mustard vinaigrette, flaxseed oil and salt and pepper. YUMMIE. and a protein/fiber meal as nothing else.

piggy
Apr 24th, 2007, 02:19 PM
today i tried making hummus from scratch...using dried, soaked for 2 days in the fridge, COOKED for 2 hrs chickpeas. it was great, better even than using the canned ones! i think the raw hummus attempts must have put me off using dry chickpeas. i'm so glad this worked! and it's cheaper than using canned ones too!
i added some oil and water into the blender, to get the right consistency, along with salt, garlic powder, dried chilli and lemon juice.

only downside: i really hate the smell of soaking chickpeas. has anyone noticed how horrible it is? or are my chickpeas unique in this?

emmapresley
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:11 PM
i hadn't really noticed a 'smell'?? but i forgot to change my chickpea water this morning..i just drained them now cos i am going to make more hummous (soaked for 2 days then boiled for as long as i can be arsed)..and the water i drained off was gloopy...eww :eek:

herbwormwood
Apr 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM
today i tried making hummus from scratch...using dried, soaked for 2 days in the fridge, COOKED for 2 hrs chickpeas. it was great, better even than using the canned ones! i think the raw hummus attempts must have put me off using dry chickpeas. i'm so glad this worked! and it's cheaper than using canned ones too!
i added some oil and water into the blender, to get the right consistency, along with salt, garlic powder, dried chilli and lemon juice.

only downside: i really hate the smell of soaking chickpeas. has anyone noticed how horrible it is? or are my chickpeas unique in this?

My soaked chickpeas always smell of fart. I think its normal, particularly if it is warm where you soak them.
Congratulations piggy on your recipe success.

Smoothie
Apr 25th, 2007, 01:19 AM
..and the water i drained off was gloopy...eww :eek:

i have tried that!! it is gross. ooops - now i remember i have sprouts on my kitchen table, that needs to be washed. and i'm not home till tomorrow night. hope they'll do ok.

twinkle
May 7th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Apparently you can turn the goopyness of the water to an advantage - some people use it like stock because it's a similar consistency to chicken stock apparently. I don't remember where I heard that though, or any good recipes.

I'm considering making sweet cakes out of chick peas because they seem good for protein and calcium which I'm not sure I'm getting enough of at the moment, and I have a craving for cake, and a bunch of dried chickpeas languishing in my cupboards. So far I've only found variations of this recipe (http://www.pea-lentil.com/recipes/cake.html), which looks okay apart from the 4 eggs! anyone tried to make anything like this?

pavotrouge
May 9th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I haven't tried that, but sounds like some sweet falafel !

Are USA chickpeas any different from regular ones :confused: :D