PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

emmapresley
May 9th, 2007, 05:13 PM
I falafel ! <<hehehe

Are USA chickpeas any different from regular ones :confused: :D

i don't see how they can be..

i'm slightly gutted...cos i was ill this last week my appetite went weird and now i feel like i've gone off hummous..my official last week favourite food. i had hoped our special relationship was to last for many more weeks :(

Enchantress
May 9th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Gone of hummous?! :eek: *Backs away from crazy emmapresley*.

Me and hummous are for life <3.

emmapresley
May 9th, 2007, 06:24 PM
omg..please don't ostracize me on this basis..i'll try harder ..etc etc

twinkle
May 9th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I made hummous today with the rest of my kilo of chickpeas that I hadn't frozen or made into cake. I didn't have any lemon, and I'm sure my colleagues are sick of me stinking of garlic so I liquidised a tin of tomatoes and added some stock powder, chilli powder and the chick peas. It's quite nice for a change but I don't think you can beat the old lemon juice and garlic combo.

pavotrouge
May 10th, 2007, 07:46 PM
OMG poor Emma, how can you be gone of hummus?!

emmapresley
May 12th, 2007, 07:27 PM
it's okay!! i had the manky lurgy sniffles and the appetite went a little haywire :confused:

i made baba ghanoouj (hahaha just for the name), and that with some toasted pitta bread made me rethink the hummouslessness of my situation, so i went and made a batch and "aaay!" i'm back on track now. :D

pavotrouge
May 12th, 2007, 11:22 PM
hooray :D
I thought we'd lost you!

emmapresley
May 12th, 2007, 11:51 PM
*vehemently shakes head*

NEVER!!!!

*scoffs hummous*

foxytina_69
Sep 1st, 2007, 02:41 PM
i remember someone on here telling me how to make these, but i cant find where it was, so i was wondering if someone could tell me again how to make these.

what are some good seasonings to put on them? ive never had them before!

ayon
Sep 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Don't know if this is the one you were thinking of:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11112&page=2

emmapresley
Sep 2nd, 2007, 04:03 AM
i remember someone on here telling me how to make these, but i cant find where it was, so i was wondering if someone could tell me again how to make these.

what are some good seasonings to put on them? ive never had them before!

why did i quote this...ehrr..foxytina..absolutely AGES ago, i put a recipe type thing up on here..like in the recipe thread bit maybe..for this iranian stuff my mum made called baharat.it's like a load of spices ground and is just ace..anyhow i sometimes roast/bake chickpeas with this stuff on..mind you only need the scoddiest bit..you;'re using a tin?? drain and bang in a bowl with little bit of oil and something like half a teaspoon of this stuff and a tiny bit of saly..roll it all round and roast them up till crunchitty..they're sooo nice..spicy and stuff.

can use just other stuff..um...would think most spicy things would be compatible? paprika too..oh, that stuff is just ace. :)

Mystic
Sep 5th, 2007, 06:46 AM
I have never made them either, but I believe that you just soak them as normal and them coat them in oil and put them in the oven (sorry I don't know temperatures or time). I like them plain salted but I have seen them with chilli.

bugaboo
Sep 5th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Here's a recipe from "How It All Vegan!":

CHICKPEA NIBBLERS

2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (garbanzos)
1-2 tsp seasoning (cumin, chili powder, cayenne, garlic, curry powder) or
whatever your favorite seasonings.
1 tbsp oil of choice

Preheat oven to 400F (not sure what that is in celcius.) In a medium bowl, toss together the chickpeas and desired seasoning in the oil. Stir together well and spread out onto a large baking sheet. Bake for 45-60 minutes, flipping after 20 minutes. Let cool before serving. Makes 2 cups.

I haven't made this yet. So, if you make it soon...let me know how it turns out.

foxytina_69
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:33 AM
thanks everyone!!!

this will be a really good snack to curb my chip addiction lol, and its high in protein so i think ill make these tomorrow!

ill post after i make them bugaboo!

Roxy
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Please let me know how they go Tina, and what seasonings you use. I've had a can of chickpeas sitting in the cupboard for a while now and I just haven't felt like eating them. These sound quick and easy though and I could take them to work for a snack.

foxytina_69
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:07 AM
definitely i will. but i have heard that even in an air tight container these get mushy after a while, so i will tell you how long they stay crunchy for also. i was reading recipes online and some people that reviewed it said to only make what you will eat each time because they got mushy again. these do sound so delicious as a snack though.

Roxy
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Ahhhh shit ok. Thanks for the tip! Look forward to hearing how they turn out.

Risker
Sep 5th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I made this before, it was pretty good - http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/roastedchickpeaswith_77265.shtml

HappyVegan
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I love the chickpea nibblers from How it all Vegan. Make sure you cook them long enough though, otherwise they'll be crispy on the outside and soft in the middle which is really gross lol. I don't know about them getting mushy after a few days. Mine have never lasted longer than the day I made them lol.

Mystic
Sep 5th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I have had the ones that you just buy from the Asian shops and I am pretty sure they are uncooked before you roast them - and they are not mushy at all - They arn't as crunchy as nuts, but definately not mushy.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2007, 12:29 AM
sticky, i meant they go mushy after a few hours of baking them. not right away when theyre fresh baked. ive read they dont keep well.

im going to make these tonight!

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2007, 01:02 AM
i used onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, curry powder, and a little bit of hot sauce and oil. i mixed them up with my hands and will bake them at 400 degrees for 40-60 minutes. im going to add some nutritional yeast at the end to make them more nutritous.

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2007, 02:06 AM
omg these are soooooooooooo good. ughhhhhhhhhhhhh. i love these!!!!

i roasted them at 400 degrees for 40 minutes. i had to add a little extra curry powder after they were cooked because they didnt taste curryish enough. oh my god these are sooooooooooo good.

does anyone know if you can roast peas? i used to get these roasted peas that were indian and they were so good.

Marrers
Sep 7th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Just how crunchy are they? Can you liken them to anything? Are they teeth breakers?!

foxytina_69
Sep 7th, 2007, 03:08 AM
theyre crunchy like chips/crisps i think. a little crispier. a little less crunchy than corn nuts (if you have those there)

theyre damn delicious. my god. i could eat these all day.

roxy i ate them all before i remembered i was going to save some to see how long they stayed crunchy for LOL so ill write when i do it next time. which i think will be pretty quick because they were so good!!