PDA

View Full Version : Chickpea recipes

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7

Roxy
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Haha! Thanks for the tips Tina. I'll give these a go soon :) (It's too late now and I can't be bothered) :o

bugaboo
Sep 7th, 2007, 05:43 AM
AWESOME! i can't wait to make that too

sugarmouse
Sep 7th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Me too they sound great !I love Chickpeas:)

xwitchymagicx
Sep 7th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I'll make these later...:)

xwitchymagicx
Sep 7th, 2007, 04:06 PM
I just made these...quite moreish! lol :cool:

friend
Sep 7th, 2007, 06:36 PM
i love roasted chickpeas, smothered in dry, hot Indian spices

yo-yo
Sep 7th, 2007, 07:41 PM
roxy i ate them all before i remembered i was going to save some to see how long they stayed crunchy for LOL so ill write when i do it next time. which i think will be pretty quick because they were so good!!

haha. that made me laugh!! mmm, i seem to be very hungry after reading this thread..i will definitely be making these soon as I needed some inspiration for what to do with chickpeas...other than houmous and curry... yum :D

x x

foxytina_69
Sep 8th, 2007, 12:15 AM
mmm curry. there was a recipe for curried chickpeas that was vegan in the september issue of prevention magazine. i want to try it soon!

Stine
Sep 8th, 2007, 09:01 AM
I just have the best recipe.. And even better its so easy to make

1 tin of chickpeas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp chili powder
1 tps instant polenta
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp oregano, chushed
3/4 tsp sea salt flakes (maldon)

Drain the chickpeas and mix with oil... Mix the spices, salt and polenta flour and mix with the chickpeas...
Bake 40-45 minutes at 190 C.. Until the chickpeas are crunchy.. Enjoy

herbwormwood
Sep 8th, 2007, 10:32 AM
If you have a middle eastern, indian or pakistani grocer nearby you may find they sell roasted chickpeas in the snacks area.
I am currently working my way through a large pack of roasted channa dal, which was ridiculously cheap. Apparently channa dal is one of the lowet GI foods, which s good for me as I get low blood sugar. It is also high protien.
I have also seen roasted salted broad beans.

yo-yo
Sep 12th, 2007, 10:16 PM
got round to making these last week and on the second attempt (on the first I was having a dopey day and forgot they were in the oven so they turned into charcoal..oops) they were LUSH! definitely making these again. only thing was that some were really crunchy whilst some were soft inside.. but they were still tasty.

i used olive oil, fresh chilli, garlic, paprika, ground pepper, garam masala, tiny bit of salt and fresh corriander towards the end of baking.

my non-vegan flatmate seemed to like them, yay. :D

x x

Ruby Rose
Sep 30th, 2007, 03:06 PM
one of my favourite things is chana masala. i always used to get it from the curry place on the way home from a late shift at work, and finally decided to make it myself. this is the best recipe i've found so far, and tastes pretty good. it's nice with some spinach :)

http://www.nandyala.org/mahanandi/archives/2005/11/07/chana-masala/

it calls for 'chana masala' powder, but i asked an indian friend of mine who told me to replace it with ground coriandar, garam masala and cumin seeds.

amanda
I was inspired by this recipe, and we had it last night. It was very yummy, but tasted quite a lot like the Punk Rock Chickpea Gravy recipe from VWAV. But... in the Co-op this morning I saw (and bought) a Channa Masala spice mix like the recipe suggests, and it's got in it:

Coriander
Dry green chillies
Cumin
Pomegranate
Mango powder
Black pepper
Fenugreek
Ginger
Brown Cardamom
Star Anise
Fennel Seeds
Cloves
Cinnamon
Bay leaves
Salt

So now I can't wait to try making it again!

erikpukinskis
Oct 15th, 2007, 09:30 PM
And how could I make raw tahini??

A google search for "tahini recipe (http://www.google.com/search?q=tahini+recipe)" turns up quite a few... but basically, to make raw tahini, just puree raw sesame seeds in a blender, add some oil, puree some more, and voila! Raw tahini!

The type of oil you use (sesame, vegetable, olive, etc) will affect the flavor. Recipes range from 1 to 4 tablespoons of oil per cup of sesame seeds. More oil makes an oilier, creamier texture, less like plain nut butter.

Some other recipes recommend adding water or salt. Water just makes for a drippier texture (good as a dressing) and salt... well, you know. Brings out the flavors.

veggedoutnluvinit
Jan 16th, 2008, 04:19 AM
Ingredients:
ground pepper
a few dashes of salt
basil
a packet of sweet basil pesto sauce
couscous
vegan butter
veggies of choice
garlic, minced
garbonzo beans

Basically you just pan sautee the beans and veggies of your choice. You add the sweet basil pesto on top and pile everything on a bed of fluffy couscous! Easy and delicious! :p

For the rest of the recipe: sodelicious! (http://sodelicious.org/anotha-easy-vegan-recipe)

suze
Jul 25th, 2008, 02:08 AM
Here is a recipe using chick pea miso

http://www.rawglow.com/recipe14.htm

As soon as I can find some chick pea miso I'm going to try it.

Shrapnel
Aug 22nd, 2008, 08:21 AM
I thought I may add my own hummus recipe (well, I don't know if it qualifies as according to Hoyle hummus, but... eh). I go the raw chickpea rout (canned didn't taste as good), soaking overnight, around 8-12 hours, more or less (haven't tried letting them sprout), and then boiling for nearly an hour. Then, I blend 2 cups of cooked chickpeas with 1 cup soy milk. I also add about a tablespoon or two of cocoa powder until it's nice and creamy, and is almost like a thick pudding, especially works well with sweeter soy milk. I also have constructed a recipe I call "rummus", whereby I substitute 3-4 shots of Baccardi Gold for half of the soy milk.

Another variant is to substitute 1/4 cup nutritional yeast for cocoa powder.

Still another (good for spreads on pita bread or Italian bread) is to substitute tomato sauce for soy milk, at the same measurements.

With the chocolate, I sometimes use it as a snack by itself (as a sort of pudding), whereas the others are more bread/tortilla toppings for me. They all refrigerate well, and lasted me as long as a week (don't know when they go bad, since I hadn't left them that long).

Gorilla
Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:00 PM
some interesting ideas there, Shrapnel! :)

harpy
Aug 22nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
Fond though I am of chickpeas I never thought of making them into a pudding - but why not?

herbwormwood
Aug 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM
I made a curry sauce by frying onions, mushrooms and quite a lot of cooked chick peas in a little oil, then I put them in the blender until like a puree.
I put it back in the pan then I added some thai red curry paste and mixed vegetables, and some Innocent pineapple and coconut smoothie.

Shrapnel
Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks Gorilla and Harpy =) I never thought of it until i tried to make hummus, realized I didn't have tahini, and tried to substitute by tossing in various things.

Shrapnel
Aug 22nd, 2008, 06:49 PM
I made a curry sauce by frying onions, mushrooms and quite a lot of cooked chick peas in a little oil, then I put them in the blender until like a puree.
I put it back in the pan then I added some thai red curry paste and mixed vegetables, and some Innocent pineapple and coconut smoothie.

I gotta try that. I was looking for a good curry sauce!

veganvic82
Feb 9th, 2009, 10:28 PM
I'm gonna give this a try - sounds really delicious

Kosherbean
May 15th, 2009, 02:11 AM
G-d this is good. And easy. Here goes:

1. Soak a handful chickpeas overnight or get some out of a can. Whatever.

2. Get a cereal bowl and a fork and mash the hell out of them.

3. Add: a clove minced garlic, some chopped onion, dried parsley (if you got it), some salts (onion, celery, garlic salt) and some pepper.

4. Toss in 3 Tablespoons whole wheat flour.

5. Add a bit of water, enough to make it moist and able to stick together.

6. Gather all the mush up in your palm and throw it on a nonstick frying pan or skillet, press it flat-like with a spatula and toast it for about 4 minutes on either side. Flip it a few times. (you can fry this with oil, it's rrrrreaaally good that way too)

7. Should be firm, dry and toasted when done. can be a finger food, a fork food or between a bun. Dip in ketchup or BBQ sauce or some stinkin sauce you like alot.

REALLY EFFIN GOOD. You know you wanna try this shit. :cool:

Risker
May 15th, 2009, 02:17 AM
Looks like a falafel recipe to me. I like them in pitta bread with salad and hummus.

Kosherbean
May 15th, 2009, 03:08 AM
Sort of, that's where the idea was generated. What makes this one "easy" in comparison is that it's pretty versatile and doesn't have a STRONG flavour. You can enjoy it like you would enjoy a potato or some bread.

Oh, and Yes on the chickpeas, but you can also use fava beans in falafel. When I make Falafel I use a lot of cumin, baking powder, course bread crumbs and tahini, then I fry them in about 1-2 inches of oil.