Jun 29th, 2004, 06:30 PM
serves 4

2 tins chickpeas
2inch piece root ginger, grated
1-2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tsp garam masala
2 tins chopped tomatoes
salt and pepper

put a little oil into pan and add ginger and garlic, fry gently for a few mins, add garam masala and cook for a couple of mins.
add drained chickpeas and tomatoes with their juice and simmer gently for about 15 mins, season if it needs it

done! hope you enjoy this if you try it, banana :p

eve
Jun 30th, 2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks cedarblue - I'll make that tomorrow, but only one tin of chick peas!

foxytina_69
Jul 11th, 2004, 03:14 AM
mmm sounds delicious :) i love chickpeas.

garam masala is chickpea flour right?

Mystic
Jul 11th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Garam Masala is a mixed Indian Spice of, I think cumin, coriander, chili, cardamom and something else....I am not sure!!!
But thanx cedarblue, sounds yummy! I love chickpeas

Artichoke47
Sep 1st, 2004, 12:16 AM
I've never heard of that spice. I'll have to check into it. :)

cedarblue
Sep 1st, 2004, 06:59 PM
I've never heard of that spice. I'll have to check into it. :)

you should be able to buy it as a ready-mix jar off the shelf. do you know any asian foodstores? they will definately have it.

DontJustDoSomething, SitThere
Sep 1st, 2004, 07:13 PM
Garam Masala is the spice (-mix) I use the most, along with Tandoori Masala. Welcome to the masala world!

Artichoke47
Sep 2nd, 2004, 12:23 AM
I don't know of any Asian stores around here, but maybe Wild Oats will have it, as they have a small Asian/ethnic section. I'll check it out!

Artichoke47
Sep 11th, 2004, 12:51 AM
I found a recipe for garam masala:

2 T. cumin
2 T. coriander
2 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. ground cardamom
1 tsp. ground ginger
1/8 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. ground cloves
1/8 tsp. nutmeg.

Combine and store in an air-tight container.

Mystic
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Hey guys...I am trying to sprout chickpeas and I have never sprouted anything before in my life.

I saw on some website that to sprout chickpeas, you need to soak them for 48 hours and rinse them 3 times a day. Does rinsing just mean changing the water?

Also, what is the best recipe for 'raw hummus' - I figured that this would be a nutritious and cheap spread for my lunch!!!

ConsciousCuisine
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:25 AM
Shugar, in my opinion, you picked the most challenging thing to sprout for a newbie ;)

Personally, I don't care for Raw Hummus, ( I kust make "Faux-Hummus" with nuts and seeds substituted) but here's my recipe for Raw Hummus:

1 c. chick pea sprouts
2 lemons or limes, juiced
3 cloves garlic
4 T. raw tahini
2-4 T. Raw Oilve Oil or Sesame Oil
Celtic sea salt to taste

Optional: 1/2 tsp. ground curry, corriander, cumin, basil, chives, paprika, cayenne pepper or 1/3 C. Raw Olives or Raw Sundried Tomatoes (soaked in 6 oz. water and drained)

Blend all of the ingredients. Add water or sesame milk to thin.

MzNatural
Oct 27th, 2004, 02:49 AM
I am attempting to sprout them as well. I started yesterday.

In my 'Raw' book there are directions in regards to sprouting.

Soak them for 8 hours place a colander over the bucket and drain. Leave it overnight. Rinse the beans the next day in a bucket or bowl filled with water and briefly swirl with your hand. Return them to the colander until the next rinsing, 1 day later. Rinse once daily until your beans sprout a "tail" about 1/4 inch long. In the book it says garbanzo beans take 2-3 days to sprout.

I have not tried this but here is a recipe from my Raw Foods cookbook:

Raw Sprouted Hummus
2 cups sprouted garbanzo beans
½ cup fresh parsley
¼ cup pitted olives
¼ cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
½ teaspoon jalepeno
I tablespoon minced garlic
¼ cup tahini
¼ to ½ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon Mexican Spice Chutney
¼ cup Shoyu or 1 ½ teaspoon Celtic Sea Salt

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until creamy.

Mexican Spice Chutney
½ cup Black cumin (I’m going to use the brown cumin)
½ cup sun-dried lime

Grind the sun-dried lime in a coffee grinder. Mix in spice.
Store the mix in a tightly sealed jar.
Makes about 3/4 cup.

~~ETA~~
CC that looks recipe yummy. I think I will make both and see which I like better. I can't believe the recipe in the book did not have garlic. I plan on adding it anyway. I love garlic.

feline01
Oct 27th, 2004, 09:35 PM
MzNatural,

I'm a bit confused about the sprouting instructions. Are the chickpeas soaked, then rinsed and placed in the colander dry overnight? Then rinsed again the following day and replaced in the colander? I gather this means no special sprouting equipment is required. I would love to try it if no special equipment is needed.

Mystic
Oct 27th, 2004, 09:59 PM
YAY my chickpeas are starting to sprout!!!! I think they will take at least 1 more day though - and you don't need to have any equipment. I just have the chickpeas in a bowl in the dark, and three times a day I have been rinsing them through a colander. But don't trust me - I am a first timer!!!

Northern Lights
Oct 28th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Good for you for trying the sprouting thing, Banana.

Having said that, I have to add my opinion to CC's, I don't like raw hummus either! I could never get the texture smooth enough and found it bitter. :(

If you end up with nicely sprouted chickpeas you could also do the 'faux' tuna salad sandwiches (I think it was in the recipe thread) The 'crunchyness' would work for that recipe.

Northern Lights
Oct 30th, 2004, 03:53 AM
Hey Banana- how did the chickpeas turn out? I noticed that you had raw hummus for luch, so you made some obviously...

Artichoke47
Nov 28th, 2004, 03:57 PM
From More Fabulous Beans by Barb Bloomfield

Lightly oil a 9 X 13-inch baking pan and set aside.

Have ready:

2 medium eggplant
salt

Slice the eggplant into 1/4-inch rounds, sprinkle with salt, and let sit in a colander in the sink while you prepare the filling and cheese sauce.

Bean Filling

In a medium skillet, saute the following until the veggies start to brown:

1 c. chopped onions
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. olive oil

Stir in:

2 c. cooked garbanzo beans, mashed
2 c. tomato puree
1/4 c. chopped parsley
2 T. fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
1/8 tsp. pepper

Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, for 15 min.

Preheat oven to 350 F.

Cheese Sauce
Combine in a small saucepan by whisking together until smooth:

2 c. soy, rice, or oat milk
1/2 c. nutritional yeast flakes
1/4 c. unbleached white flour

Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally with the whisk. When the sauce thickens, add:

1 T. margarine
1/2 tsp. salt

Stir well, remove from heat, cover, and set aside.

Rinse the eggplant slices to remove the salt and pat the rounds dry.

To assemble the casserole, layer the eggplant and half of the bean filling in the baking pan. Repeat, ending with a layer of eggplant. Pour the cheese sauce evenly over the eggplant. If desired, sprinkle the top with:

1/2 c. bread crumbs (optional)

Bake for 30 to 45 min. Cool for 10 min. before cutting into squares.

This is really rich and delicious, but I had to cook it for an additional 15 min., covered with foil, on 375 F.

ETA: Serves 6

rocknrollseitan
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:53 AM
This is a recipe that I threw together today, and it's one of the most delicious Indian style dishes I have ever had. It is very rich and creamy, almost like a cheese sauce, and is cooked in the traditional slow simmered style of northern Indian food. The Vindaloo and Hot Curry seasonings can be found at Indian groceries, or purchased from Penzeys Spices www.penzeys.com, (go to "search" and enter vindaloo) also a GREAT source for high quality spices of all sorts. If you can't find Vindaloo, you can mix it yourself: coriander, garlic, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, mustard, cayenne, jalepeno, cardamom, tumeric, black pepper and cloves, all dried/powdered.

Ingredients:

One 15oz. can Chick-peas (garbanzo beans)
One 15oz. can Boiled Potatoes or 1-2 med. sized red or yellow potatoes peeled and boiled
Soy milk (plain and unsweetened)
Soybean oil
Olive Oil
Sea Salt
Cayenne Pepper
Vindaloo Seasoning
Hot Curry Powder
1/2 cup diced White Onion
2 Large Cloves Garlic diced or pressed

In a large frying pan, heat enough soybean oil to coat the bottom of the pan and add onions and garlic. Sautee on med-high until both start to brown and carmelize. Push onion and garlic to side of pan and add 1/2" thick slices or cubes of potato. Fry until they begin to brown and begin to stir everything together, then add chick-peas, salt and cayenne to taste, 1/2 Tbsp. each of Vindaloo and Curry powder and continue to sautee on high or med/high until all is heated through and SIZZLING. Now add enough soy milk to almost cover the beans and potatoes and reduce heat to medium. Stir constantly until the soy milk reduces and starts to become thick. Turn off heat and add about 1/8 cup of Olive Oil and mix well. The soy milk and oil should kind of bind together into a thick sauce. Sometimes I like my food very oily, and olive oil is good for you, so you may up the quantity of olive oil if you wish.

This recipe is grrrrreat with spinach too. Just add as much fresh spinach as you want after you are done cooking everything and the heat is turned off, and stir it untill the leaves are wilted and dark green.

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:30 AM
Spinach and Onion Chickpea Omlette

1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/3 cup water or vegetable stock (you may need more to reach a batter-like consistency)
2 oz. tofu, pureed (optional but I suggest it!)
1 green onion, sliced thin
1/3 cup spinach (frozen, thawed or 2/3 cup fresh)
A few pinches of pepper, salt and turmeric
1 tsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. oil or more as desired (I use coconut)

Sautee the onion in a bit of oil or water. Add spinach and cook until both are done. Remove from pan, rinse out and place the coconut oil in the pan, heating it for a few moments over medium heat while you beat together the remaining ingredients until smooth and fold in the spinach and onion. Pour into the heated pan, allowing it to "set" for a bit before flipping the now bubbling mixture. Cook another minute or so, testing the center for as you do pancakes. Serve with sliced tomatoes, salsa, avocado or any favorite topping. You may put any veggie you like in this as well as herbs, as you like it.

I like to do one with rosemary, oregano, sun-dried tomatoes and zucchini (for Italian style) and Cilantro/fresh corriander, corn, zucchini, fresh tomatoes, tomatillos and jalapenos (for Mexican style) and a curried Indian one is good too!

englishvegoboi
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:44 AM
Thanks CC that recipe looks awesome. I notice that you use coconut oil. Someone told me that this is the healthiest oil to cook with because it doesn't oxidise. Would you recommend this over olive oil?

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 9th, 2006, 03:48 AM
Yes! I have mentioned this in various threads all over the place...I'll look for a few ;)

indianvegan
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:14 AM
Thanks CC that recipe looks awesome. I notice that you use coconut oil. Someone told me that this is the healthiest oil to cook with because it doesn't oxidise. Would you recommend this over olive oil?

In India, Kerala is the only state situated in South, where people uses, Coconut oil for cooking/deep frying even.

You will wonder, highest rate of literacy in the country is in Kerala. And it is generally said here that Keralities have good brain too.

Manish Jain

tipsy
Feb 9th, 2006, 04:18 AM
guess what im doing on my next day off????

:D

RockyRaccoon
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:40 PM
Mmmm. I like the sound of that, something I'll definately try. Just to check though, is a green onion a spring onion?

Cheers :)

ConsciousCuisine
Feb 9th, 2006, 05:46 PM
Mmmm. I like the sound of that, something I'll definately try. Just to check though, is a green onion a spring onion?

Cheers :)
Yes, but you could certainly use any type of onion you like (I do! I make dozens of variations on this type of recipe!). :)